Fuel Saving Remaps

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The website says quite clearly that there is a legal obligation on us all to notify insurers when remapping.

You're again quoting a random internet page as if it's fact.

If you were writing a thesis would you quote Wikipedia as a source?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well maybe. Interesting point for pedants. Do we know that there is no law requiring us to give full info to insurance companies? I only ask because the wording on their website puts it all very strongly.

Personally I would like a law that made it illegal to remap/chip a car or sell the goods to do that without first ensuring that the buyer has notified his insurance company. Because we all know that numerous drivers (including one who has posted in this thread) are buying remaps and not telling insurers thereby increasing the number of uninsured drivers and harming us all thereby.

If you chip and do not tell them, you would be covered for third party claims only,,so not the same as an uninsured driver affecting you, if one hit you

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
If you chip and do not tell them, you would be covered for third party claims only,,so not the same as an uninsured driver affecting you, if one hit you

Just a thought, I asked my insurance company last year about a remap or tuning box and they asked for all the details etc, got back to me and said the underwriters would not cover it.

So if I had an accident a few months later, would this enquiry be on my file?
If it was, that may be enough for them to look for a remap and void the insurance if they found evidence of it to avoid paying out even to a 3rd party?

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a thought, I asked my insurance company last year about a remap or tuning box and they asked for all the details etc, got back to me and said the underwriters would not cover it.

So if I had an accident a few months later, would this enquiry be on my file?
If it was, that may be enough for them to look for a remap and void the insurance if they found evidence of it to avoid paying out even to a 3rd party?

Russ
I am 99% sure that the third party cover would be in place, but not on a void policy

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
You're again quoting a random internet page as if it's fact.

If you were writing a thesis would you quote Wikipedia as a source?

I wondered when you would be back to have another pop at me. Missed you.

No it is not a random website but is the site for the firm that supplies the remaps to Steve. So it could hardly be more relevant to this thread if it tried, could it?

BTW I am not writing a thesis but merely taking part in general chat about remaps on a forum. And for this purpose, BTW, I think Wikipedia is often excellent. Lots of interesting info in the MB sections IMO.

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I am 99% sure that the third party cover would be in place, but not on a void policy

I don't follow this. Why would it? If you lie to an insurance company or fail to notify them about any modifications surely they have no obligation to give you any cover? In cases I have seen they just declare the policy void.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't follow this. Why would it? If you lie to an insurance company or fail to notify them about any modifications surely they have no obligation to give you any cover? In cases I have seen they just declare the policy void.

This has to be the case if you think about it, the third party / basic road traffic act element has to come into play.
I have never seen or heard of any accident where this has happened, and with some 350 accidents every day this would have come to kight before now

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
This has to be the case if you think about it, the third party / basic road traffic act element has to come into play.
I have never seen or heard of any accident where this has happened, and with some 350 accidents every day this would have come to kight before now

But it has come to light, hasn't it? . Been lots on the news about uninsured drivers and how insurance companies have to add to all our policies for a fund to pay out third party IIRC. One in eight cars in London.

Been plenty of cases where they won't pay out because of an illegal tyre tread depth, for example, where they say we are all obliged to keep the car roadworthy.

But in any case -even if you are right and they might pay out third party, it is not much comfort if you have remapped your Mercedes, paid for comprehensive, and they won't pay for any damage to your car.

Surely the best way is to do what the chipmakers say on their websites and notify your insurance company, rather than search for reasons for not doing so?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But it has come to light, hasn't it? . Been lots on the news about uninsured drivers and how insurance companies have to add to all our policies for a fund to pay out third party IIRC. One in eight cars in London.

Been plenty of cases where they won't pay out because of an illegal tyre tread depth, for example, where they say we are all obliged to keep the car roadworthy.

I still think that the third party gets paid out, but you do not.

I have never seen for instance a case where a man has to sell his house to pay compensation in a death case, or other

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I still think that the third party gets paid out, but you do not.

I have never seen for instance a case where a man has to sell his house to pay compensation in a death case, or other

I am no expert on insurance. But I have read that there is a fund that pays out third party for uninsured drivers. We all pay a surcharge on out insurance to cover these people.

I don't want to add to the list. Anyone who chips or remaps is legally obliged to tell their insurance company or risk having their policy declared void.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am no expert on insurance. But I have read that there is a fund that pays out third party for uninsured drivers. We all pay a surcharge on out insurance to cover these people.

I don't want to add to the list. Anyone who chips or remaps is legally obliged to tell their insurance company or risk having their policy declared void.

I agree that this is a hot subject from what I was asked over the phone on a renewal

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

Although it wasn't to do with modifications, there have been a couple of incidents that I've seen on those Police Stop! type programmes.

One involved a lad doing pizza delivery. The policeman gleefully rang his insurance company to check his cover and was thrilled to be told it was SD&P. When he told the insurance company the vehicle was being used for pizza delivery they said they'd still provide cover.
The second was a foreign guy who had lived here for some years but never switched to a UK licence. Again, policeman called insurance and they just shrugged it off and said they agreed to held liable. Policeman looked gutted.

That's the MIB - they lean heavily on insurance companies to pay out, so they only have to cover as absolute last resort.

psmart

Reaction score
Hi,
We offer diesel economy remaps on most vehicles with an average 15% saving.
The bonus is more power/torque and a guaranteed diesel fuel saving...who say's, you can't have your cake and eat it!!
Please ask to see if we can save you money and fuel..
Perhaps this thread should be made a sticky? ...so many replies and reads... cant let it die off now, can we?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps this thread should be made a sticky? ...so many replies and reads... cant let it die off now, can we?

We have a new one starting now,,maybe it will beat this one;)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hi,
We offer diesel economy remaps on most vehicles with an average 15% saving.
The bonus is more power/torque and a guaranteed diesel fuel saving...who say's, you can't have your cake and eat it!!
Please ask to see if we can save you money and fuel..

Re-reading that highlights how ludicrous the claims are. Please note it says an AVERAGE saving of 15%. Not up to 15% as some appear to think. And the saving is guaranteed. Wow! Snake oil squared.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Re-reading that highlights how ludicrous the claims are. Please note it says an AVERAGE saving of 15%. Not up to 15% as some appear to think. And the saving is guaranteed. Wow! Snake oil squared.

Have yours done and try it:D:D

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I do not know as I have never urge to try it;)

Good man. Like me then.

Every time I see wonder schemes to get rich making money at home for almost no work, or atomisers to save huge amounts on fuel bills, I recall that long experience has shown me that these schemes make money for the seller and earn or save little or nothing for the gullible buyers.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom