Fuel Saving Remaps

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good man. Like me then.

Every time I see wonder schemes to get rich making money at home for almost no work, or atomisers to save huge amounts on fuel bills, I recall that long experience has shown me that these schemes make money for the seller and earn or save little or nothing for the gullible buyers.

It is many years since I have heard the word atomisers those little things that you screwed into the inlet manifold :D circa 1955

Sadly those that send off their £500 to join a money making scheme would waste the money on something else

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It is many years since I have heard the word atomisers those little things that you screwed into the inlet manifold :D circa 1955

Sadly those that send off their £500 to join a money making scheme would waste the money on something else

Indeed. What we need is our own scheme to help them lighten their wallets. Then you could have an SLR and I could have a one off AMG S class estate built.

Could there be money is this one?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/05/world/main5364468.shtml

Last edited:

psmart

Reaction score
Re-reading that highlights how ludicrous the claims are. Please note it says an AVERAGE saving of 15%. Not up to 15% as some appear to think. And the saving is guaranteed. Wow! Snake oil squared.
BUT... thats where your lack of knowledge is harming you! Most things Ive quoted on this site, Ive backed up or tried, possibly with CarSoft in-hand.

As quoted earlier, disconnect your Turbo and you will see more than 15% saving! I did, over 1000 miles and saw > 39mpg in a 270 ML! It doesnt take much to make an economy remap....

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
BUT... thats where your lack of knowledge is harming you! Most things Ive quoted on this site, Ive backed up or tried, possibly with CarSoft in-hand.

As quoted earlier, disconnect your Turbo and you will see more than 15% saving! I did, over 1000 miles and saw > 39mpg in a 270 ML! It doesnt take much to make an economy remap....

Of course. Hence the A160cdi -as I have already posted- gives more mpg than the 180cdi although they are both the same engine -but differently tuned.

Disconnecting a turbo is hardly a like-for-like experiment is it. The claims being made are for the same or better performance (not less) and an average of 15% better mpg. If you believe that, you must believe in fairies, Santa Claus, and promises not to put up taxes.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Indeed. What we need is our own scheme to help them lighten their wallets. Then you could have an SLR and I could have a one off AMG S class estate built.

Could there be money is this one?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/05/world/main5364468.shtml

:idea: How about marketing soap then:roll: via the tried and tested Pyramid method - send me £100 and I will send you a box of soap that is guaranteed to clean out anything including your wallet:smile:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

Surely you would be driving in limp mode if you disconnected the turbo?

Russ

psmart

Reaction score
Surely you would be driving in limp mode if you disconnected the turbo?

Russ
Exactly! But on the 270, and in an ML, limp mode will get you to 85mph!!! The point I was making was that all the re-mapper has to do is lower the turbo pressure (and adjust fuelling) to gain extra economy, limp mode proving the point.

As for extra power and economy, all a remapper has to do, to prove his statement above, is remap a ML270 manual to the same map used by a ML270 automatic - more power, more speed, better economy! ... the only point I can see wrong with his statement is 'most vehicles' ... but that will allow us to continue this nice debate :)

In reality though, an economy remap should be just that, lowering the power to gain better mpg, which Im sure the insurance companies, once informed, wouldnt have a problem with.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
psmart, you either deliberately missed your own point or need some education, so here goes. when driving your car in limp home mode you will have noticed the restricted acceleration, a very severe restriction. also you would have found rpm restricted, and possibly noticed gearchanges happening at lower revs. IF you had driven your car this gently without the limp home you would have noticed the same mpg. it is very hard however to drive like this, to set off so gently and, cruically, build speed VERY slowly. in stop start driving it the acceleration used that has the biggest bearing on mpg, and your voluntary limp home mode simply forced your hand in this respect, or foot!

psmart

Reaction score
psmart, you either deliberately missed your own point or need some education, so here goes. when driving your car in limp home mode you will have noticed the restricted acceleration, a very severe restriction. also you would have found rpm restricted, and possibly noticed gearchanges happening at lower revs. IF you had driven your car this gently without the limp home you would have noticed the same mpg. it is very hard however to drive like this, to set off so gently and, cruically, build speed VERY slowly. in stop start driving it the acceleration used that has the biggest bearing on mpg, and your voluntary limp home mode simply forced your hand in this respect, or foot!
Before you comment, go and try it! An ML270 has a lot of torque, the VNT turbo still spins in Limp mode, just not as much. After all, 1000 miles is a long way and it was a tad slow accelerating (85mph could be considered slow for an autobahn), but no more than say a van. The vehicle in question was loaded to at least 2.5 tonne for approx 600 miles and no problem driving on the motorway or maintaining a motorway speed. The vehicle in question presented no danger driving in town traffic.

The point being made is that the standard map, in limp home mode, has quite an mpg saving. A remapper only has to use some of this map region in the primary map, (ok acceleration wont be quite as good) but for economy, significant economy gains can be made.

May I remind you, that a senior Indie mechanic could not diagnose the fault with the ML270 that forced me to use limp mode, and after 2 attempts at letting him fix it, I did it myself. Didnt you say you were a senior Indie mechanic?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i am, but i have never worked on your car. men do terrible things, didn't you say you were a man?

ok, simulate a limp mode by adjusting your throttle cable right back so you can only get 40%, enjoy a free remap :roll:

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
come on now lads

let's all behave, or else I shall have to ask you to put your double-blindfolds on.

The mem's went into limp-home once( something blocked the air intake), and i didn't even notice driving around town. Say's a lot for either the traffic around here, or the fact that half-power is more than enough to get by with

psmart

Reaction score
i am, but i have never worked on your car. men do terrible things, didn't you say you were a man?

ok, simulate a limp mode by adjusting your throttle cable right back so you can only get 40%, enjoy a free remap :roll:
Yes, but! Tell the nice audience how even at the lightest of throttke the turbo is actuated!

Lasy time I dropped my kegs and upped a soft warm spot, I think it was a woman, so by deduction I'm a man :)

Anyway, must leave, at the Octoberfest and chasing women, so by pithy deduction of darwin, I must be gay!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class

Aletank

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Mercedes C180k Avantgarde SE Sport Auto
Just had a quick read of all 74 pages of this thread - 1h 10mins :eek:

Whats the general thought of having a remap done on a high milage car, say over 100k ?
Would more regular engine oil and gearbox oil changes be recomended and help prevent any problems ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a quick read of all 74 pages of this thread - 1h 10mins :eek:

Whats the general thought of having a remap done on a high mileage car, say over 100k ?
Would more regular engine oil and gearbox oil changes be recommended and help prevent any problems ?

I Think that if an engine is burning no oil and the compression is good the it should be OK

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
You mean, that was'nt covered in the 74 pages ................ I thought it could'nt get any more anul !! ............. lmao

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You mean, that was'nt covered in the 74 pages ................ I thought it could'nt get any more anul !! ............. lmao

We can carry on now with this new part of the program:D:D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Well,

Here we go again,

My thoughts!!

Car is totally differnet to drive,

Showing much better MPG,

Even the box changes better!!

But dont take my word on it,

Theres people on here who have no idea what there talking about when it comes to cars!!

Its worth every penny!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Showing much better MPG,...

that would be "showing" on the display?? now now cole, if you have news regarding measured mpg then tell us. have you had much over 600mls to a tank yet? ;)

Top Bottom