js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Come mot time i always give my 190d a good pipe clearing session on the way to the test centre. Up to 6000rpm does it a world of good.

Never failed an mot on emissions despite it having over 300000 miles on it. I also use the local council taxi testing place so they are strict.

Like most people on here who like there Merc's i look after it and service it regularily.

Unlike many almost new cars i see with bald tyres and no doubt an owner paying £300 a month for something they really cannot afford to even put fuel into let alone maintain.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
So 3 year old diesels have more worn out wiper blades and mis-aligned headlamp beam patterns than petrol cars..

it could be alongside their total disregard for the health of all living things on the planet, they don't give a sh1t about anything else either

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it could be alongside their total disregard for the health of all living things on the planet, they don't give a sh1t about anything else either
It's fascinating how these people with 5 litre petrol V8's lecture diesel owners on enviromental issues.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
coz I don't puke out Diesel filth

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Actually I think it's because the only reason to buy a diesel is to save money so they follow on with not spending on maintenance.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Sorry Greta, have i ruined your childhood?

clearly !

Sadly, it started earlier than I (and most below 55) were about to try and stop it. Its really taken hold from the 60's when we pretended women's rights mattered. Of course the real idea was to break up families and get twice as many goods sold and build a society of slaves who'll never last long enough to need a pension.

It stems form those who like to make money by making others lives a misery. Now they've bred, a genetic flaw has crept in and left them short sighted. Their greed to do it in a scale big enough to satisfy, has killed the planet.

All a rather intriguing mix up of genetics that got it very wrong. Clever and sick enough to work out how to control 8 billion slaves, yet unable to see the end game. Instead they blew the world's resources on a 50 year bender and we now have irrevocable change which we will not be able to survive through.

It seemed such a simple plan. Just sell twice the houses, fridges, freezers, cookers, washing machines, beds, TV's, cars etc. to 45% of the world and convince the other 50% this chaos is "living the dream".

That funded the factories that could build at scale, then more greed comes in and a new wave of make it fail, and sell at 5 times the rate comes in to play.

By dismantling real local Manu jobs making quality, long lasting, reparable goods that we need, in places where the employed can walk to work. We can import rubbish (that way we can sell more ships and fuel), eventually make it so it only lasts 2 weeks (so we can sell more ships, fuel, containers and more junk goods). Do it all far, far, abroad with no health, safety, pension or environmental concerns in countries where the rich live well on a dollar a day and it leaves us unable compete. But it was good fun here beating the wages down and sacking people for 30 years (don't forget that can help break up more families - equalling more profit).

In the mean time, we need to keep the locals slaves busy. So you bring in joke service sector business' peddling needless crap to each other in towns way outside where we live. It doesn't generate any real money, so the wages have to come down, so the partner has to work to make ends meet (with the added advantages of sell another car and more opportunities to make relationships fail and sell even more goods).

As parents got ever busier they gave up parenting and kids got lazier, then we gave up on discipline and just left them to focus on brainwashing computer games. All leading to "busy" mums driving kids to school, (so we can have a load of unfit cabbages who'll never make it to retirement). An added advantage, by moving school opening time, we have everyone on the roads in the middle of the newly created four hour rush hour. This keeps everyone stressed and busy (breaking up more households to sell more goods to). And that way no one will notice as we turn the screws and stop paying a fair wage.

Then you do the maths and you find you forgot the increase in medical cost because people aren't dying fast enough to steal their pension. So you cut wages and "sell the dream of a diesel". An affordable way to kill the slaves - opps, an affordable way to get to work so you can have a better life for the whole family.

If that doesn't work fast enough, release the mentally ill on to the streets to stab and generally be a nuisance. Increase immigration making needless goods for newly broken up family's, where pay is so bad they need to operate a low level of crime to cover the less than livable wage! Not forgetting the need to create more low pay service sector jobs where we can have places online to fence stolen goods, then release people from prison early (just in long enough so we taught them new skills on selling drugs, car theft and breaking in) and of course ask the police to just drink tea and never investigate crime.

All meaning rather handily, those useless service sector non jobs give the slaves plenty of time to get addicted to their rather fortuitously created tracking devices. Where it just so happens more non jobs have been creating better brainwashing apps to ensure compliance is always kept at a manageable level.

Of course not forgetting to build spying sites where the slaves accidentally post regular pictures and a useful timeline (evidence) of the subversives in the community who are yet to conform.

If you read between the lines multiplying those "clearly unconnected coincidences" by around a few billion.... you could end up with the slaves locked up watching streamed TV, (where we monitor they are complying with mobile tracking devices). Only to find they are watching far fetched series of how those in government manipulate everything you see, hear and do for money whilst the slaves have no idea what's going on.

If it was to pan out like that "somehow" you might end up with double the households with 3 car's each parked up blocking the side roads, and everyone driving an ave. 20 miles to work in a 90 minute combined commute whilst burning though resources at 20 times more a sustainable level

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK so you don't like bankers, capitalism or consumerism. Fair enough. But why the V8?

Surely a 2CV would suit you more?

Personally i love my diesel because it does nearly 50mpg and has roughly the same amount of torque as your 5.0 V8.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I don't often agree with Botus but when it comes to bankers (and I currently work for a bank), consumerism and diesels we aren't too far apart.
Business has taken the option of build it cheap and throw it away for the next model option instead of designing in the ability to repair and upgrade, in the process drawing global resources at an unsustainable rate. The constant business demand for growth is in itself unsustainable in a finite ecosystem.

You might have the torque of the V8, you might even have the power and yes you can gleefully quote better mpg figures but the V8s have a much nicer driving experience with a power band that's far wider, an audio track that makes popping the roof down a real pleasure and a far more enjoyable driving experience when pressing on with none of the surge, die, change gear, surge, die, change gear progress endemic to a diesel.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't often agree with Botus but when it comes to bankers (and I currently work for a bank), consumerism and diesels we aren't too far apart.
Business has taken the option of build it cheap and throw it away for the next model option instead of designing in the ability to repair and upgrade, in the process drawing global resources at an unsustainable rate. The constant business demand for growth is in itself unsustainable in a finite ecosystem.

You might have the torque of the V8, you might even have the power and yes you can gleefully quote better mpg figures but the V8s have a much nicer driving experience with a power band that's far wider, an audio track that makes popping the roof down a real pleasure and a far more enjoyable driving experience when pressing on with none of the surge, die, change gear, surge, die, change gear progress endemic to a diesel.
Don't disagree with you because i like V8's too. Just please don't pretend to be saving the planet by driving your V8 because we all know that is cobblers. You drive it because it is your personal choice, and that is great.

And that choice is being taken away from us right now.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The difference is my V8s are not my dailies. Normally they only come out on weekends or holidays if we have somewhere interesting to go. Currently the E class is my daily but until 18 months ago it was a Smart.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The unfortunate reality is that capitalism is nearing the end game and no one has a plan. The Americans don’t seem to care and the Chinese autocratic democracy doesn’t work so it is a wake-up call for the rest of us to come up with something viable. The most destabilising aspect of all this is the internet, it is good and bad in equal parts, much the same as splitting the atom

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personal choice, you drive whatever you like. It's all fine by me.

What i object to is being told by unknown forces that in the future we must all change to save the planet.

But nothing will change, it will just be a different bunch of people making vast sums of money at the publics expense.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The unfortunate reality is that capitalism is nearing the end game and no one has a plan. The Americans don’t seem to care and the Chinese autocratic democracy doesn’t work so it is a wake-up call for the rest of us to come up with something viable. The most destabilising aspect of all this is the internet, it is good and bad in equal parts, much the same as splitting the atom
Well to date science fiction has always predicted the future to some extent. My recommended reading is Frank Herbert's "Dune" trilogy (or the David Lynch film).

Last edited:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Also to note: 120kmph is the speed limit on many/most german and EU roads (autobahn excepted), if not a bit faster. So for most people that the EU legislation effects, they've made it so it holds the gears until you get to the speed limit, then it will change into top gear.

They probably didn't give much thought to UK customers.

(Not interested in a brexit debate, thanks!)
Recommended autobahn speed is 130KPH =81MPH.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Haven't noticed any surge/die/change gear/surge etc., in my R172 - because there is plenty of torque across a wide range and lots of gears plus twin turbos help..

It's surprising how many petrol owners sneer at diesel drivers when its the owners total footprint that really counts. Lots of things pollute the air - for instance how many run log burners which shove a cocktail of a 100 plus contaminants into the air including NOx and plenty of toxic dioxins, carcinogens, particulates in the form of Black Carbon & PM2.5 etc., Figures show that wood stoves produce the same amount of nasties as transport. I don't pollute with a wood stove so I'll carry on as I am thanks....

I also eat very little meat being 95% vegetarian so I am also not responsible for contributing to Methane and CO2 from animals either...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
The difference is my V8s are not my dailies. Normally they only come out on weekends or holidays if we have somewhere interesting to go. Currently the E class is my daily but until 18 months ago it was a Smart.

my daily is a bicycle....

I do less than 4k miles a year in a vehicle and pay in the region of £1000 road tax, yet many scum bags in tractors do 60k miles a year, paying 23 quid road tax to spend their life puking out death from the exhaust, whilst causing congestion and accidents on the M25 - the world's gone mad, not to worry it'll end soon

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom