Changing my daily car from a 6 year old diesel to an 18 year old V8

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I used to use my SL55 as a daily driver for several years, now I use it once or twice a week, just to keep it ticking over. You enjoy it more that way, it feels special every time.

OP
RyanSL500

RyanSL500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Mercedes SL500 and 2014 Mercedes C220
Due to working from home while my firms office is still closed due to COVID, I haven’t really driven the car much, but saying that, I have saved a decent sum already having sold the C class (this was spend on fixing and servicing the ABC system though!). The car has started sinking again on the rear right when turned off but comes up when on. I’ve had it confirmed that it’s safe to drive but the valve will eventually need replacing.

If find the SL more comfortable than the C class and the biggest surprise of all is that over the 1.5k miles I’ve driven it recently, it’s averaged 24mpg. The C class averaged 38mpg doing the same style driving. Considering that one is an old V8 and the other was the most economical variant of the diesel I think that difference is either appalling (if looking at the C class’s performance) or surprisingly good (if looking at the SL). I haven’t changed my driving style either so I’m nicely surprised by the real world figures the SL is getting. I potter around most of the time as there are so many average speed cameras around and I’m just going to hit traffic wherever I go!
To be honest, I rarely look at MPG now since driving. I know it’s not going to be great so why bother looking? It’s actually very liberating and makes the experience more enjoyable.

I’ve also found that the SL is a good talking point when visiting clients. They all like looking around and the ones who are into their cars genuinely enjoy talking about it. I think I’ve convinced one client who’s waiting for his Porsche Taycan to be delivered to buy a SL55 while he waits

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-class, 2005, E270CDI (2.7) + 1992 Mercedes 500SL (R129)
I remember I very nearly bought a 2007 Bi turbo CL600, it was cheap at £6k ish or something had 172k miles but had the struts replaced and 1 owner who bought it brand new with the invoice... mental felt like I missed out big time but 16k miles a year I think I would of felt it in my wallet, I’m still not giving up my persuit for a performance Merc of that caliber...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom