1998 230SLK Roof Unreliable

jcov1234

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've had my 230SLK (R170) machine for over 2 years and the roof has always been unreliable. Whilst under warranty it was apparently re-trained and switches changed by MB main dealer. I though that may be it. Now out of warranty roof is still unreliable.

Latest issue - as the boot flips up the rest of roof SHOULD pop out. It is getting stuck. I have also had simular problems closing.

From the forum there appear to be many problems with the roof on R170's. I would love some advice on where and how to replace any parts. Micro switches etc. Also is there a web site with some diagrams/pics to assist?

Once I have gathered the info I will post the 'Definitied Guide to SLK roof Sticking'....... with your help as I'm no Mechanic.

Many thanks in advance.

John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello John and welcome,, I will look this evening and see what info I have

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Hi John welcome to the forums, I too have an SLK, the only problems I have had (touch wood) have been a dodgy boot lock, and a release cable breaking, both quite easy/cheap to fix.
I found the other day on either Benz world or SLK world forum a sticky on how to maintain your roof, I will find it later, but in the meantime this may help you.

http://www.buellwinkle.com/r170/topoperation.htm

Regards Jim

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks Jim for that link :D:D

OP
J

jcov1234

Reaction score
Hi Gents

Many thanks for prompt replies. I'll have a look over the links in the coming days and see how I get on.

Cheers

John

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom