2003 ml55 amg

chickaboo

Reaction score
Hi all I'm from Newcastle South Africa and just wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing here : I am in the process of buying a ML55 AMG 2003 - It does not have full service history but kept VERY well - The vehicle is in immaculate condition and drives like a dream - Getting it for basically R230000 - I would like to know everyones good and bad points and their opinions on this Merc and is there anything special to look for before signing the paperwork - Oh its mileage is 120000 km's - Thanx all in advance:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are great cars,, all I can do is to say welcome to the forum :D:D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Welcome from me as well.

I hope you have deep pockets!!!!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi all I'm from Newcastle South Africa and just wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing here : I am in the process of buying a ML55 AMG 2003 - It does not have full service history but kept VERY well - The vehicle is in immaculate condition and drives like a dream - Getting it for basically R230000 - I would like to know everyones good and bad points and their opinions on this Merc and is there anything special to look for before signing the paperwork - Oh its mileage is 120000 km's - Thanx all in advance:D

Welcome to the Forum. Great choice of car - but as SAM cautions, not necessarily for economy!

I would accept "immaculate condition" as a good surrogate for the car having been well looked after. Most people who buy top of the range cars tend to treat them well - they don't indulge in DIY (they don't have to) and they appreciate the value of caring for their investment.

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
Thanx for the welcome guys - now why did I know that fuel economy was going to come up;) Ok to be honest I'm not worried about the fuel bill as I wont use this vehicle as an everyday runaround but only for going long distance and I'm not into offroading - If I want to go in the bush I got an Isuzu 280 diesel that I can use - Is there anything for me to look for when closing the deal - I know the guy says he has done a full service 5000km's ago with Mercedes parts (including spark plugs which I hear are VERY expensive) and a new battery - new front shocks - new tyres - at this mileage is there something to be concerned about?

kristoff

Reaction score
At that milage its just about run in.

If it drives like you say, just buy it and keep your fingers crossed. There's not much else you can do. Keep some cash aside in case the worst happens.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
Thanx Kristoff will definately keep something aside but have this "extended warranty" with some coverage on most parts on the vehicle mechanically - but will hope for the best....

walkenblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 w203 220cdi Avantgarde
Why would"nt previous owner etc not have a service history as such?..It would tell you something about the life it has had!..I dont know about the price but no fsh is a negotiating tool..Hope you secure a deal and enjoy.

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
Hi walkenblue - He bought it as it came out of motor plan so I'm assuming it would have to be serviced at least up to about 20K km's ago but fortunately can go to our local MB dealer and find out when last it was done at an agent - He said he has paperwork for the services he has done 5K km's ago - all original MB parts just not done at a dealership but the mechanic who did the work apparently a personal friend of his and owns one himself so hopefully a good deal here - the no fsh was a negotiating tool - I knock off like R15000.... would I need extended warranties on a 55 - I heard these motors are like bulletproof.

kristoff

Reaction score
No motors are bullet proof, not even with full history, which this doesn't have. The M class isn't exactly the worlds number one most reliable car. That said, they look great, drive great and go like stink for their size, the AMG especially so.

I would just keep some cash aside and 'self warrenty'

If its cheap enough and it drives well, the xhoice is upto you.

GseRacing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172/2012/250
I have a 2002 ML55 with 81k miles on the clock. It is solid and runs very well but I have just spent inthe region of £1100 on pretty much every piece of rubber on the front end of the chassis. Bushes the lot. Feels much better in corners now.

Keep more than a little in your back pocket for maintenance and tyres etc. She can be a bit of a demanding princess at times but very rewarding.

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
Thankx guys - drove the vehicle about 330kms and used about 45 litres of petrol - not too bad hey - but that was from where I bought the vehicle but had the shock of my life today when ran around with the vehicle - I did 46 km's local town driving and used 27 litres but I was testing its raw power so I think its right or is those figures not right?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thankx guys - drove the vehicle about 330kms and used about 45 litres of petrol - not too bad hey - but that was from where I bought the vehicle but had the shock of my life today when ran around with the vehicle - I did 46 km's local town driving and used 27 litres but I was testing its raw power so I think its right or is those figures not right?

You always burn more fuel during the first few days :D going round the friends etc

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
I was even more in shock because it looks like my petrol guage has gone faulty.... for some reason when we left durban it was fine (reading full) - reached Newcastle it read 1/2 then filled and took 45 litres but only did 25 kms then it read quarter tank - then another 20 it went to empty and the reserve light came on - so I couldn't believe it went to petrol station and tol them to fill it - then I see it took 27 litres - Any ideas why the guage doing this? It is Now "physically" full full but reads only half tank - even stopped at another fueling station down the road - took another 2 rands or so definately full

Last edited:
OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
Hey all it seems everyone else is in shock with my previous post as much as me..... Guys I was looking at the 270CDI's and some 350's W163 - they very nice with side steps and nudge bars and rear spare wheel carriers - anyone ever added these to a 55 AMG or are these accessories totally different from the "normal" ML's - can I go to the local scrap yard and buy these of accident vehicles or do they have to be modified to fit my vehicle?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many here have added all of the goodies and I have the information on how to fit them for most

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
OK first of all where can I get these accessories - I can pay via paypal have acc with them and are they pretty much standard to fit or much modifications needed - On my Isuzu my dad and myself had the steps on in 45 mins - is the ML this easy?

kristoff

Reaction score
side steps and nudge bars and rear spare wheel carriers

Leave all that tat off your lovely ML mate. It's not a christmas tree.

Fit some 22's (20's if you want to preserve ride quality) and have done with it.

OP
C

chickaboo

Reaction score
Hi there kristoff buddy - I wish I could just the wheels - seen some they look awesome - unfortunately some of our roads close by have potholes that I could park the ML in..... as for the side steps my parents and elderly aunt would put the steps to good use - as for the rear wheel carrier it might help with boot space... only the nudge doesnt really have any good purpose except maybe looking after the front bumper when parking also if I have the side and rear covered might as well do the front to complete it ...

kristoff

Reaction score
If you need it then fair enough mate. Just don't fit that stuff because you think it looks better. The spare whell carrier in particular makes the car look 10 years older in my opinion. You see any new 4x4s (from merc/audi/range rover/BMW) sporting those?

I also live in an area with horrendous potholes and I'm running 20's on 295/45's with no problems at all. Get 'em on!

:)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom