2003 R230 SL500 - engine oil dipstick

OP
K

kevh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230) 2003 4966cc
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I needed a new plug/cap for the engine oil dipstick tube that is located at the rear of the engine (behind the steering wheel). When I called my local MB main dealer (JCT600), the guy told me that this was for the transmission oil. He even sent me an illustration showing an engine oil dipstick on the same side of the engine near the front. When i told him my car didn't have this, he couldn't help me any further. I actually called in and bought the part i needed which is the engine oil dipstick cover. Its so easy for a so called expert to make you question whether you've got it wrong.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
To be fair to him it would be difficult for anyone to be an expert on every system on all models.

Even I got it wrong re: the M113 and the various dipstick locations.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Some of my other engines have no dipstick either. You just have to visually inspect the moving parts and check the drip rate of the oilers.

3570BEB7-2C05-4217-83A5-5750C53E5C9C_zpsbpay8j7h.jpg

Stephen Spence

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2002/5.0
Hi, there's no dipstick, although you can buy one, but it must be removed whilst car is driven. Its located at the rear of the engine bay, not far from the transmission dipstick aperture which has a locking device fitted.

Jaysl500

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Mercedes SL500
I recently purchased a low mileage 2003 SL500 and have been trying to learn as much as I can about this beautiful car. I wanted to share what I have discovered about the oil dipstick. There is no dipstick BUT there is a dipstick tube on the passenger side of the engine back by the firewall just outside of the air filter/ engine cover. It has a plastic cap on top which can be removed. I discovered what looked like a dipstick laying next to my spare tire in the trunk. I now think that is is actually a dipstick for checking transmission fluid but haven't confirmed that. I removed the plastic cap on the "oil dipstick tube" and put in the dipstick that I found. It went in easily and hit bottom with a lot of the dipstick sticking up above the tube, so it doesn't seem to be a dipstick that can be used to check oil level, BUT when I pulled it out, it had engine oil on it. I am really happy to discover this because I can at least physically look at the oil to see condition (how dirty is it?). I am going to do some research to see if there is an actual dipstick that can be used to check the level of the oil. I am pretty sure that the dipstick should not be left in the tube. I will still check oil level electronically as the car was designed.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You are correct. There is no engine oil dipstick on an R230.
The tube you found us indeed the transmission dipstick hole and the dipstick you found does would like a transmission dipstick. The oil on it is ATF not engine oil. If it was black like engine oil get it changed (along with the transmission filter). It should be a clear red colour.
The dipstick is not designed to stay in the tube.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The ATF dipstick is mega long and you are right, it doesn't live there it's (normally) a workshop item used only at service time

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
If you want to inspect the oil on an SL55 you can remove the oil filter. It's on top of the engine, so a 2 minute job. You need a special tool, which is very cheap to buy and a good investment. I assume the r230 SL500 is the same ?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Or you could just stick your finger in and wiggle about and check the fluid on your finger....dammit wrong forum again :rolleyes:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Sorry, don't understand the joke John. Some folk do feel the need to check their engine oil, especially on high mileage cars. Personally I think it is a good idea, although not something I do very often.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sorry, don't understand the joke John. Some folk do feel the need to check their engine oil, especially on high mileage cars. Personally I think it is a good idea, although not something I do very often.
Often a good idea, personally I just change the oil and see what condition the old oil is in....

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
My w220 didnt have a DS. You can buy the garage tool on ebay which is a calibrated measuring stick essentially. The measurement max-min are different for each engine and you should get that with the stick. As said its only a measuring stick and not to be left in the engine.
I do like to check oil level twice a year for certainty of level and condition.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
As Nicholas said there isn't an engine oil dipstick on this model. A shame really as I like to see the quality and cleanliness of the oil on a dipstick as well as the level.
Replaced by dtf.what was simpler than a dipstick. Only downside ..no revenue stream from that !!!!!

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
My dealer insists that there should be an engine oil dipstick on the front of my engine on the left hand side as I look at the engine from the open bonnet. I can't find anything that resembles a dipstick or indeed a cap on a dipstick tube. There is a tube at the rear of the engine at the same side with a cap/plug in it - he tells me that this is for the transmission oil dipstick. Can somebody please advise me what I should have. Thanks vry much
Sounds like the dealer is the dipstick

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom