2003 SL350 (R230) Central Locking issue

Sam Stoddard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2003/3.7Lt
Hi guys, I really hope you can help because i'm really stuck and have no other ideas......

Just purchased a 2003 SL350.... got the car home with no issues, it unlocked and locked with no issues at all.

This morning after going in the boot I struggled to get the boot to close properly and the soft close function wasn't activating. The car then wouldn't respond at all with the key fob to lock or unlock.

I checked all the fuses in all three fuse boxes (including taking out and replacing fuse 71 for the PSE) and nothing has blown in any of the fuse slots. But even though I'd reset the pump the soft close came back to life but the car still wouldn't lock.

The car locks and unlocks using the dashboard controls no problem, the lumbar support works fine and there are no issues at all with the roof mechanism or water ingress in the bottom of the boot.

So here is where it gets odd......

Throughout all of this, I can still get into the boot using the drivers door control (somtimes I have to press it twice though)

Because of this I then decided to check any leaks in the boot actuator; I found that the air reservoir puck was cracked; I used epoxy to fix the crack as well as sealing up all of the ballbearing points (All 6) and tested each component for leaks and found none.

I tested the line from the pump by taking it off the actuator module and blocking the end of the pipe and the pump seems to work as expected so surly thats not the issue?. I then replaced everything back in it's place and reset the PSE fuse AND both batteries on the car. The central locking and soft close comes back to life....

I go to the shop and put my things in the boot - no problem

I come back and get them out again - no soft close again but the central locking still works

I then go back in the boot a little bit later and boom - no central locking via the key fob again. And now I have to slam the boot to get it to register closed. BUT even when registering closed the central locking still wont work.

I'm running out of options and I really don't want to spend £££££ chasing a problem at a dealership if it's something I can fix. Can anyone help or at least start a conversation to investigate this together? :-/

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you've just purchased the car it's the dealers responsibility to sort it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If the pump detects a leak it will shutdown that circuit. You then need to reset the error code before it will work again.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If no leaks, the unfortunately pse pump.

OP
Sam Stoddard

Sam Stoddard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2003/3.7Lt
****EDIT*****
Left the car over night and the central locking is working again out of nowhere.

I know it will happen again though so need a fix for this

OP
Sam Stoddard

Sam Stoddard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2003/3.7Lt
***EDIT 2****
I've now stripped down the PSE pump and it's immaculate; runs perfect and every other function it performs are 100% working.
I also checked for leaks and can't find any signs of wooshing or leaking.

I'm now stripping down the boot actuator again even though I can't hear any leaks now (Other than the pressure release at the end when the mechanism activates which I assume is normal?)

One thing I have found however when stripping this down is this part (Pictured) when I blow into the black pipe air comes through here. Should this be sealed up?

Attachments

• IMG_3104.JPG
    IMG_3104.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 24

JRH99

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2006
Did this ever get sorted? I have very similar issue with my 56 plate 350SL - sometimes the central locking works, sometimes it doesn't. No obvious reson why, but today on first sunny day for a while the roof obvs wouldn't work either - thought the cover was open....

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Did this ever get sorted? I have very similar issue with my 56 plate 350SL - sometimes the central locking works, sometimes it doesn't. No obvious reson why, but today on first sunny day for a while the roof obvs wouldn't work either - thought the cover was open....

That will be a vacuum leak, or a dead PSE pump. Welcome to the fun world of R230 ownership. If it is just the door locks not working, I have heard of sticky actuators in the doors causing this. But because the roof is not working either, suspect the pump.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom