2010 C350 no start, steering unlocked

Justme0406

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 W204 C350
i've read a lot about the steering lock mechanism failing and causing (Too)many vehicles not to start and i thought that was my issue as when this first happened last night as the wheel was locked. I had it cranked all the way to the right so i could access the side marker lights (replaced with clear ones, looks nice) and it wouldn't unlock and start, yanked the wheel a few times and it was good to go, let it run a while and centered the tires and shut it off.
Now when i go to start it the wheel lowers, wheel is unlocked (i can turn the tires but no power steering obvs) system recognizes i have the key and i hear some quiet clicks in the dash like a relay going off (not coming from the engine compartment, checked) command doesn't start, it doesn't go into accessory mode, it just lowers the wheel and that's all it does, tried jumping it and it gave zero F's, wheel doesn't seem to be locking either so maybe it is still the locking system? i very much do not want to spend like $2000CAD to replace a well known design flaw... i haven't unplugged the battery yet as i don't have a 10mm ratchet atm, will do tonight, also ordered a bluetooth obd2 reader which will be here friday.
it's so odd that it doesn't even boot command or make the normal startup chime or anything, any thoughts? i didn't see any blown fuses but i might have missed one, couldn't even find the driver side fuse box, just a hole where it looked like it should be

TLDR: w204 won't start and looks like the wheel lock issue but wheel is unlocked

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Get codes read first, though may need more than just an OBD2 reader - STAR- to get to the root cause.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above. Unfortunately it's unlikely your Bluetooth OBD reader will show what's up as it can't interrogate the necessary modules (they can only interrogate industry standard engine codes and not manufacturer specific ones).

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Check your battery voltage, ensure it’s fully charged.
Low voltage makes them crazy.

(when you say ‘yanked’ the wheel and it subsequently moved, there is a possibility you’ve broken something...)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom