2012MY C63 AMG Perf Pack dilemma

OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Speak of the devils!

It turns out they thought it would be satisfactory to return invoice cost on my car, and then charge me sticker price on the E! Although I can't say I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

He still seemed to be working under the illusion that 2-3 months of buggering about (time, money & effort), as well as a car that wasn't as described, AND leaving me with no car... is returning to me "square 1"! Oh, and then expecting me to cough up another £6-7k to them!

Duly clarified that position, and refocused them on Option 2 - compensation against the diff that was supposed to be on the car when they sold it! Was trying to be reasonable, but am getting a bit angry now. :evil:

Last edited:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
2 is the same as 1 Guy. :)

Back to a couple or three freebies then, possibly better that way...

OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Indeed Dave.

I was pretty clear on that this evening - patience is waning now too.

To be honest, they came in at something like £3,800+vat for their diff, which I was told was on the car at point of sale and isn't, so this scenario will only go away if they get to a figure close to that.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
1 & 2 cover all bases. ;)

You'd know that if you knew what they meant :p

OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Not a Scooby! :lol:

Rule No 5 is, I suspect, from an entirely different handbook! :)

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
TNF - Trust No Fcuker
TINAFC - There Is No Accounting For C***s

;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a Mexican Standoff?????

OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
^
I think that's covered in Rule 6 or 7... ;-)

Last edited:
OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
TNF - Trust No Fcuker
TINAFC - There Is No Accounting For C***s

;)

Ah, yes... Should've got Rule No.1 - an old sea dog used to say.....

Rule No.2... Well, may very well get used in my next formal response to them! :twisted:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Interesting article HERE by a guy who had an aftermarket diff fitted to a C63 a while ago.

It's a couple of years old now, so the prices may not stand anymore, but the facts still seem relevant. The writer has now sold the car on and was running an A45 the last time I heard from him, but seems the Quaife was a good move on the C Class, and a lot better than the one which comes out of the factory apparently.

Last edited:
OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Interesting article HERE by a guy who had an aftermarket diff fitted to a C63 a while ago.

It's a couple of years old now, so the prices may not stand anymore, but the facts still seem relevant. The writer has now sold the car on and was running an A45 the last time I heard from him, but seems the Quaife was a good move on the C Class, and a lot better than the one which comes out of the factory apparently.

Thanks Dave. Funnily enough, I had a good read of various threads by that chap last night.

Interestingly, many people talk about the type of driving you do, but never a mention of where you live.

Down here for example, we have endless twisty roads, often with sharp changes of gradient in the middle (regularly requiring second gear or first, either due to degree of bend/gradient or lack of visibility), and the car more often than not spins a wheel. And that's not trying to make any sort of sporty progress... just progress.

Now add in to the mix our usual weather, surface additives you find outside the city (courtesy of trees, tractors, horses, etc), and the situation is compounded.

Plymouth is actually quite a hilly city too, so many a junction presents similar scenarios as above (but with less horses).

Cornwall, Derbyshire, Durham, pretty much anywhere in Wales, and I assume Scotland, as well as a host of other counties alive not driven in, all have similar... So the dealer's obsession with tracking the car really pee's me off!mjust seems more indicative of someone who has not actually lived with the car on a day-to-day basis. :evil:

And this is all before we start trying to use the car to anything like three quarters of its potential! Or the fact they sold a car as having an LSD! :evil: :evil:

I've had 2 cars previously, with LSDs, and both were much, much more tractable than the C. And one of those was much lighter, with very peaky power delivery (ie nothing below 6000rpm), and still managed to behave themselves unless you really really tried!

And that never went on track either!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The_Don

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few v8 Amg
Surely if the op had done his research and confirmed option code 471 prior to purchase, not the lack of it after, this whole farcical would have been a non starter.

Last edited:
OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Surely if the op had done his research and confirmed option code 471 prior to purchase, not the lack of it after, this whole farcical would have been a non starter.

Had I been buying somewhere other than a franchised mercedes dealer, I most certainly would've done so.

But buying a car of this kind, at this cost, it was always going to be a main dealer purchase for me. Rightly or wrongly.

As such, whilst I did some (quite a bit actually) research around the vehicles, any typical foibles/issues, must-haves, ownership costs, etc, no, I didn't learn all the individual option codes and pack contents. I believe we should be able to trust a main dealer, and at least trust them to know what they're selling. Hence I stated before I even sorted a test drive, that any car I considered would need the diff. And they duly confirmed it did.

I even have the emails from them confirming pack and breakdown of that pack. Lesson learned for me however! (Note to self: strip rear axle after next test drive! :wink:)

So to answer your question, I believed I had confirmed presence of the LSD. Before I even sat in the car much less purchased it!

Interestingly, as you'll see earlier in the thread, 2 out of 4 dealers that were asked about the option codes & packs got the whole shebang wrong, seemingly confused by the model year change!

And literally, just had a conversation with them about settlement. Awaiting to hear back once they've spoken with their DP...

Last edited:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

So if a dealer told you something was on a car that subsequently wasn't. Would you have just said "oh well I should have done my research so I'll suck it up and move on."? :rolleyes:

Whilst we know that some salesmen don't know much about the cars they sell compared to enthusiasts like us. At the time I don't see why you would doubt him unless it was something obvious.

OP
Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
So if a dealer told you something was on a car that subsequently wasn't. Would you have just said "oh well I should have done my research so I'll suck it up and move on."? :rolleyes:

Whilst we know that some salesmen don't know much about the cars they sell compared to enthusiasts like us. At the time I don't see why you would doubt him unless it was something obvious.

Key thing for me was that I'd specifically asked about the LSD, and the chap's response was emphatic. If there'd been any doubt in his answer whatsoever, I would've asked him to double check!!!

And the text drive was on open, level roads, and more about what it was like as an everyday proposition!

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom