208D (OM601.940) coolant sensor location

jospanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208D, 1991, OM601
Hi, I'm trying to find the coolant sensor on this engine. That might sound like a silly thing to have trouble with, but I can see two things that look like the candidate, and neither are it.

The actual problem I am having is that there is no heat and the temp gauge doesn't move. To me that says "thermostat", so of course I want to do that, but I also wanted to replace the sensor at the same time. That made sense until I tried to find it, and couldn't, and now I'm annoyed.

I have found one sensor mounted on the thermostat housing - the wire routing and colour suggests this one is to do with the glow plugs. It has no continuity to the sense wire on the temperature gauge. This sensor has a single connector on it (some of the ones that pop up online have multiple connectors).

The only other thing that looked like a sensor was towards the rear of the engine, which appears to be an oil pressure switch. No continuity.

According to my wiring diagram (and the gauge), I am looking for a blue/lilac wire. I really thought it was on the thermostat housing, but there is only one sensor there that I can see, and that doesn't seem to be it. Can anyone help?

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 208D T1 van 1989
Hello,

Just had a quick look on my van and internet parts look up and it would appear to be on the inlet manifold side on the cylinder head just behind the injection pump. I will have a look at my workshop manual tonight to confirm this and let you know tomorrow.
Adrian.

OP
J

jospanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208D, 1991, OM601
That's the job, I found it just fine!
A question though, where do you find diagrams like that, for these engines? It would be really useful to have later on.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom