All new tyres for my W203 - which brand shall I go for?

J

JellyMonster

Hi,

I need 2 new rear tyres and the front haven't got long left either. The steering wheel also judders when going above 70mph, so I need to get my wheels balanced.

I was looking to bite the bullet and replace all the tyres at the same; the tyre size currently being used is:
195/65 R15 95T
I think the rears have Firestone and fronts have Goodyear (unsure on specifics).

What tyres shall I replace them all with?

I have done some research and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 come out well in reviews - however they aren't available in my tyre size :(

For my tyre size, the recommended has been Goodyear EfficientGrip Compact has been recommended.

What do you guys think?

Pickle1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Elegance SE Estate
Tyres

In the past, I've never gone wrong with conti's, you pay more, but IMO, it's worth it, nice tread pattern and extra mileage.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Had g/year efficient grip on mine when I got it, got over 30k miles from them.

Also recommend Avon or kumho these days.

I did buy some michelins as had to fit them as an emergency, expensive so I am waiting to see if they will cover 50k and compare the running costs...£50 more per tyre.......

Last edited:

EdGus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Bluetec Night Addition
Goodyear EfficientGrip. Get my vote. Used them on a BMW and found them to be excellent in dry and wet and got 25k out of them :D. These will be me tyre choice for my C220 when tyres are required. ;)

Ed

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
im surprised the 200k has t rated tyres! my 220 cdi has V rated tyres!

OP
J

JellyMonster

My Dad has just had Michelins put on his W204 - he says it's turned it into a whole new car! But I'm not sure what he had previously.

I've heard good things about the Michelin Energy Saver Plus'; I think my current choices are these or the Goodyear Efficientgrip Compacts.

OP
J

JellyMonster

im surprised the 200k has t rated tyres! my 220 cdi has V rated tyres!

I'm not very good with the meanings behind the letters / numbers. Do you think 'T' is low or high?

I just read the the rating from the current tyres - I haven't changed them since owning the car, do you think they are wrong? :S

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
t is a much lower speed rating than the V fitted to my car, although they will be adequate in the uk, although they may not grip QUITE as well.

from memory the ratings cover you for something like

T - up to 118MPH
H - up to 130MPH
V - up to 149MPH

as well as the actual speed, the manufacturers etc claim (as they do) that the handling and grip is altered to suit the max speed rating. you may find T rated tyres last much longer than V rated, but dont grip so well

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
I put 4 Goodyear "Efficient Grips" on my car about 2 months ago. Very impressed with them, highly recommended. :D

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Hi,

I need 2 new rear tyres and the front haven't got long left either. The steering wheel also judders when going above 70mph, so I need to get my wheels balanced.

I was looking to bite the bullet and replace all the tyres at the same; the tyre size currently being used is:
195/65 R15 95T
I think the rears have Firestone and fronts have Goodyear (unsure on specifics).

What tyres shall I replace them all with?

I have done some research and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 come out well in reviews - however they aren't available in my tyre size :(

For my tyre size, the recommended has been Goodyear EfficientGrip Compact has been recommended.

What do you guys think?

I'm breaking a car with almost new Uniroyals 195/65/15s on it, £20 a piece...

Last edited:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Dunlop and Goodyears are getting good reviews in the comfort and noise areas currently.

I hate Continental, always great for the first 5000 miles and then get very noisy and crashy.

Michelins are great, but can be pricey.

I think my money would be on Dunlop with a nice 68db rating.

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
According to my W203 handbook, the 195/65 X 15 on a 200K should be H rated

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom