Another Great Thing About Living in the South...

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
television said:
Your cars were bought new, long before there was any talk of polution and global warming or anything else, it was a different world back then. We don't knock down old houses because they are energy inefficiant.

Malcolm

Malcolm

You dont knock them down, you get a government grant to improve efficency. I would like Mr Blair to give me a grant to improve the 12mpg my 1972 350SL is supposed to acheive.

Not holding my breath whilst I wait.

Mark.

big x

Reaction score
If your just a visitor I can imagine London is not that nice,however there is a hidden side to London that is excellent.I live in rural south Somerset and have a flat in Highgate London which backs onto woods..Much of the wildlife here in Somerset I've also seen in Highgate..deer,barn owl,fox,toad,dragonfly,common frog,badger etc.All of this is 25 minutes away from Oxford street.In spring the dawn corus is very loud...there are lots of birds.
I've got a friend in Hampstead with a house in a very peaceful lane with a hugh garden and large swimming pool and Hampstead Heath is over 300 acres.There are many leafy parts of London.If you go to the local pub a good conversation can be had.There are good and bad parts in most cities (apart from Birmingam which appears all bad) but more to do in London than most.

adam

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
mlc said:
You dont knock them down, you get a government grant to improve efficency. I would like Mr Blair to give me a grant to improve the 12mpg my 1972 350SL is supposed to acheive.

Not holding my breath whilst I wait.

Mark.
Even with a government grant you cant insulate,the floors and solid walls which are very inefficient, well you can at a horrific cost, I will have a word Mark with my MP to see if we cant get something for the car:rolleyes:

Malcolm

Darrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202, 1994 W124, 1998 Chrysler Grand Voyager, old 50cc scooter and a Honda CRF 250
Fair comment Big x.That is if you can afford a place in Highgate or even a place in Hampstead.What does a house with a pool go for these days in Hampstead 1 or 2 million?

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
jberks said:
I am actually in favour of this policy!
For those of you unaware, the UK consists of some nice countryside in Scotland and Wales (where the cap doffing peasants live) which is excellent for Holiday homes and if you want minumum wage workforce (don't expect them to think though, it's a bit beyond them). Then there is London which is the seat of all civilisation, the best place on the planet and where all jobs MUST be located irrespective of the costs as that is the only place where intelligence exists. In the middle is some dark, murky scum ridden land which is useful for exporting redundancies and leering at.

If you doubt me, just watch TV for a few mins. Watch wife swap for example, and each week, we have the rich hard working surrey family swapping with the unmarried, workshy scum family from 'up norf', followed by Mr and Mrs scum from manchester who have a few quid but no class.

Anyway, the benefit of this is that, as we don't exist, if they can wipe out the 4x4s in London, they won't be aware that some of us have them too, and they may leave us alone!
Being one of the uncouth, uneducated northerners I could take offence at your post. But living in a small world I find better things to worry about. I have lived in deepest darkest Kent and the only good thing I have to say about it is that I moved back north after a couple of years of abject misery. People from the North Of England tend to be a little more friendly, its sometimes difficult to stop a conversation with a stranger.

Last edited:

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ian B Walker said:
Being one of the uncouth, uneducated northerners I could take offence at your post. But living in a small world I find better things to worry about. I have lived in deepest darkest Kent and the only good thing I have to say about it is that I moved back north after a couple of years of abject misery. People from the North Of England tend to be a little more friendly, its sometimes difficult to stop a conversation with a stranger.

Ian,

We must get together and compare notes over a pie and a pint whilst our wippetts mate under the table :)

I actually thought that Jberks was making a joke, but maybe not. His post does remind me of a cleint that I have in Richmond. On every visit he took the **** out of me because I was from "up north". Eventually he visited me at our offices in Stockport. He arrived by taxi from the station and all he could say was "you have a lamdo dealership in Stockport", poor chap we beside himself, of course my answer was the only possible one - "Jeremy, surely you have in Richmond as well".

I actually think we should start sending missioneries to tthe south to see if we can redeem the poor darlings.

Mark

OP
O
Reaction score
mlc said:
Then we go onto the biggotted subject of is the south or the north best

Finally whilst our friends from London are telling us that it is the true centre of the universe

Mark.

Intersting couple of statements. On the whole I believe the whole "North South" devide on this thread has been both good natured and light hearted. I can't say as I noticed anyone saying London was the true centre of the universe, in fact I said how much I hated it. I also think you need to be careful thinking that the South is just London. London is just one of the unpleasent parts of the South. I live in West Sussex at the foot of the South Downs, an area of outstanding natural Beauty that is about to be turned into a national park. Not London, which is a Hell Hole.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Darrell said:
Fair comment Big x.That is if you can afford a place in Highgate or even a place in Hampstead.What does a house with a pool go for these days in Hampstead 1 or 2 million?

A lot more than that!

I personally have some friends from up north who are decent, kind, generous, friendly people. I have many acquaintences here in the south that are the exact opposite. If it wern't so cold in the north, i'd move up there tomorrow. Much nicer people in my opinion.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alfie said:
A lot more than that!

I personally have some friends from up north who are decent, kind, generous, friendly people. I have many acquaintences here in the south that are the exact opposite. If it wern't so cold in the north, i'd move up there tomorrow. Much nicer people in my opinion.
In a nutshell yes, me too

Malcolm

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
television said:
In a nutshell yes, me too

Malcolm

I would too if there were jobs up there and my son would come too. I don't mind about the colder weather. When you've been raised on the east coast you get used to the constant cold wind :shock:

Another plus factor is the prices of housing in some parts of the north. I know where I am from in Grimsby the houses are really cheap and you can buy some lovely detached houses right on the sea front in Cleethorpes for half what they cost here.

Oh well one can but dream ;)

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
I had the misfortune of working in Manchester for a large part of last year and I can catagorically say that I have never met such rude, uneducated people in all my life. Above all else they all looked so ugly and unwell. What do they put in the water up there that makes everyone look like they are at deaths door?

We can all quote out of context, although to be fair it is hard to believe that I could apply an unfair spin to this quote.

Actually I think you are getting Manchester mixed up with Liverpool :)

(thats me done for, good job they dont know where I live)

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
mlc said:
We can all quote out of context, although to be fair it is hard to believe that I could apply an unfair spin to this quote.

Agreed. Liverpool as a city with that accent is the anus of the country. Manchester is a great place.

I've just heard a scouser on the telly and I couldnt understand a word he was saying!

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
All the remaining snobs do live in Surrey then?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Ultymate said:
My sister lives in Oxted in Surrey. I wouldn't say she was a snob, although she is pretty well off and moves in totally different circles than me ;)

OP
O
Reaction score
mlc said:

fairy nuff. I was staying in Salford, not exactly the "posh"est part of Manchester.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
fairy nuff. I was staying in Salford, not exactly the "posh"est part of Manchester.

Now you really have lost the plot, Salford is a different city to Manchester! Lets just hope that the Cheetham Hill Lads dont know where you live :)

On the other hand Salford quays is rather posh, serious city living, The Lowry, Imperial war museum north and the 5 star lowry hotel. Did you miss that bit.

Actually it has struck me, you are really a member of the cheetham hill lads southern division. Sorry I didnt mean to upset you, I wouldnt do it again, sorry :(

Mark

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Ultymate said:

No. im not a snob and i've lived in surrey all my life except for a brief spell in Houston (thats a whole other storey).

Surrey is the richest county by far followed by cheshire. doesnt mean its full snobs though.

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
You sounded like one whilst talking about Liverpool

P.S./ snobbery is'nt always associated with wealth

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ultymate said:
P.S./ snobbery is'nt always associated with wealth
I agree, Blown up no bodies are the worst.

malcolm

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom