Another Great Thing About Living in the South...

Reaction score
To be fair, I expect this will go country wide but for the moment if you drive an ML or possibly even an S-class and live anywhere near London you may be in for a nasty shock. This from the BBCwebsite:

The cost of residents' parking permits could be linked to car emissions under plans being considered in one of the country's most affluent areas.
A Lib Dem council in London wants owners of gas-guzzling vehicles to pay more to park outside their homes.

Richmond residents with high-emission cars could pay £750 a year, compared with £200 now, but the greenest cars would be exempt.

The council hopes other authorities will be encouraged to follow its lead.

"Climate change is the single greatest challenge facing the world today," said council leader Serge Lourie.

"We can no longer bury our heads in the sand and pretend that it is not happening, or that dealing with it is up to somebody else.

"And Richmond upon Thames is one of the highest CO2-emitting boroughs in London.

"For too long, it has been seen as a problem that only central governments or international organisations could address. The truth is that we must all start acting now at local level."

Higher congestion charge

If the plans are approved by the council's cabinet on November 6, the cost of parking the most polluting vehicles would rise from £100 to £300.

Those with more than one car would have to pay 50% more for extra permits - thus a household owning two high-emissions cars could pay £300 for the first, and £450 for the second, or £750 in total.

We're very hopeful that other councils will follow suit. We are the first in the country to implement a change such as this.

David Trigg, Richmond councillor

Councillor David Trigg, Richmond Council cabinet member for traffic, transport and parking, said he hoped the initiative would be widely copied.

"Rather than being just a space-orientated exercise, we are now targeting higher-emission vehicles for a higher charge.

"We're very hopeful that other councils will follow suit. We are the first in the country to implement a change such as this, and we would certainly hope that others do."

Tony Bosworth, from Friends of the Earth, said the proposal was a "step in the right direction", but called on the government to increase road tax on gas-guzzlers.

"Encouraging people to buy fuel-efficient cars is a big part of the answer to climate change... but the real power here lies with the chancellor," he said.

But Mike Rutherford from the Motorists' Association pointed out that the measure would also affect families with larger saloon cars.

He said the Richmond plan was a "money-making exercise" but acknowledged it may slowly help encourage people to buy different vehicles.

Anyone trying to drive a high-emissions vehicle from Richmond into central London may also face an additional cost for the city's congestion charge.

In July, it emerged that the charge for drivers of such cars could rise to £25 - three times the current charge.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has said he wants a sliding scale, with lower charges for low-emission vehicles and higher charges for some urban 4x4 vehicles, dubbed "Chelsea tractors".

Mr Livingstone said if his plans got wider backing, discounts could be in place by 2008, and higher charges by 2010.

National policies

Delegates at the Lib Dem conference in September approved plans to use new taxes on gas-guzzling cars and aviation to pay for income tax cuts.

Sir Menzies said he wanted to focus on "taxing pollution, not people".

The Tory leader David Cameron has also said he would offer incentives for green car use.

And in the Budget, Chancellor Gordon Brown raised road taxes for the most polluting vehicles, with the worst offenders now attracting a vehicle excise duty of £210.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I am actually in favour of this policy!
For those of you unaware, the UK consists of some nice countryside in Scotland and Wales (where the cap doffing peasants live) which is excellent for Holiday homes and if you want minumum wage workforce (don't expect them to think though, it's a bit beyond them). Then there is London which is the seat of all civilisation, the best place on the planet and where all jobs MUST be located irrespective of the costs as that is the only place where intelligence exists. In the middle is some dark, murky scum ridden land which is useful for exporting redundancies and leering at.

If you doubt me, just watch TV for a few mins. Watch wife swap for example, and each week, we have the rich hard working surrey family swapping with the unmarried, workshy scum family from 'up norf', followed by Mr and Mrs scum from manchester who have a few quid but no class.

Anyway, the benefit of this is that, as we don't exist, if they can wipe out the 4x4s in London, they won't be aware that some of us have them too, and they may leave us alone!

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Leaving aside the fact that vehicle traffic is not the major polluter, it sounds like just another excuse to spend less on roads and and make us feel guilty about it at the same time. All the while happily taking our cash.

I'm not gonna feel guilty about driving my car until the government can give us the roads we have already paid for several times over. That is, roads where you can actually get from A to B and are not stationary for most of the time.

Then we'd see pollution levels drop.

OP
O
Reaction score
I must say I'd consider buying an electric car.....if they didn;t look like something the cat coughed up; run really slowly; only do 50 miles between top ups; cost a fortune etc (oh, and of course, the electric to charge them has to come from somewhere and I'm failry certain all those fumes chugging out the top of the power stations can't be all that good - yes I know most of it is water vapour).

Hybrids, like the new Lexus are a good idea BUT they don't get very good mileage (less than a decent Deisel) and cost a fortune. If Ken want's to subsidise me a few grand to buy one I'd think about it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
jberks said:
For those of you unaware, the UK consists of some nice countryside in Scotland and Wales (where the cap doffing peasants live) which is excellent for Holiday homes and if you want minumum wage workforce (don't expect them to think though, it's a bit beyond them). Then there is London which is the seat of all civilisation, the best place on the planet and where all jobs MUST be located irrespective of the costs as that is the only place where intelligence exists. In the middle is some dark, murky scum ridden land which is useful for exporting redundancies and leering at.

If you doubt me, just watch TV for a few mins. Watch wife swap for example, and each week, we have the rich hard working surrey family swapping with the unmarried, workshy scum family from 'up norf', followed by Mr and Mrs scum from manchester who have a few quid but no class.

Anyway, the benefit of this is that, as we don't exist, if they can wipe out the 4x4s in London, they won't be aware that some of us have them too, and they may leave us alone!
This is an interesting answer here, most of what we have today was invented by someone living north of Watford, or for the best part north of Birmingham.
My first wife came from Shefield, the first time I went there I was amazed at how nice everyone was. Many years later we did the exhibitions at Harrogate where I got to know a lot of people, My connections were furthured when in the Rolls Royce Club, where I found more brains, expertize and friendlyness than anywhere else in the UK and that was Manchester. No matter what they did for a living, we were all the same. Me being a simple engineer did not fit in with the high power super sales force in Wembley, the only snag was that they could not manage without me.
On the train going to Liverpool to pick up the car,i tried to make conversation with a couple opposite, but it was a waste of effort,as they were above me, a lovely lady sat next to me from Birmingham on. As we were getting off,one of her friends said that they could hear her laughing down the whole carrage.
I was picked up by a Hired driver who showed me around Liverpool and showed me all that they were doing there, I was watered and fed and sent on my way.
Sweden is another unusual place, no class differences, you are all the same.
17 houses in my road,half do not talk to me as I am an engineer,doing things with my hands. Not very good at writing these things but I hope you understand what I am trying to say in answer to JB's thread

Malcolm

BarryG

Reaction score
jberks said:

Please dont forget us up in the frozen north need our coal burning Land Rovers to transport our whippets and to tow trailers with only one inflated tyre, to transport our spare flat caps.:p
Oh and they are needed to get to the library where we can get information about claiming benifits. And! Read the daily papers for free.:rolleyes:

:grin: Barry:grin:

psmart

Reaction score
Having lived around the world, I find London to be irrelevant, small brained foreigners from the darkest deepest pit in Hades! Its only a pity that the moneys there and a few English, Scottish and Irish have no option but to work there! They earn it in London, so they can pay it! My ML is being exported this weekend.... its going home :D

Last edited:

Darrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202, 1994 W124, 1998 Chrysler Grand Voyager, old 50cc scooter and a Honda CRF 250
I have lived in London all my life (39 years) and I can verify that it is the most over-rated **** hole in the UK.One thing is good and that is the dough you can earn.
We are moving to Skiathos in Greece in a couple of years and we cannot ****** well wait!!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Yeah, let them pay for parking the big engined gas guzzlling machines on their streets (Oh..hang on, I got one of those)....which they also pay council tax for living on, congestion charges to go into town, road fund licence, highest tax on fuel in Europe (Not 100% on this but not far off)

Chances are it will catch up with us all ultimately :(

Hey ho....off to take the ferrets for a walk to the club 'coz I left my flat cap & woodbines there last night (next to my pint of bitter which cost £1.70....another bonus :) )

As Malcolm says, it's friendlier here though....if I do leave stuff in a local boozer, chances are they'll be there the next day :)

Darrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202, 1994 W124, 1998 Chrysler Grand Voyager, old 50cc scooter and a Honda CRF 250
My mother in law lives in Irby and they are soo friendly up there,always a hello in the morn and a chat in the local.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Even though I'm a Lancashire lad at heart

I lived darn sarf for a bit. The most depressing time of my life. I do missionary work in Yorkshire now ( someone has to teach them about pies and chip butties), and save a strange superiority complex, and a devotion to lost causes ( Leeds united), they are a grand bunch. I wouldn't give you a pound of Angus's favourite Morrison's lard for London life, then, or now.
I spend about an hour each way in a jam to and from work, but at least it moves, and at least I can look out at green fields and sheep and cows while I do it. Even in town, it's not too bad, and you can always go back the way you came, and try another tack, and it still not take you all night to get home.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I don't think people that are born down south have any idea of how different people are up north. I came down south years ago and lived for many years in Stanmore in NW London and it had to rate as one of the most unfriendly places on earth to live.

OP
O
Reaction score
just to stir things up a bit, I live in the South but in the country side (you know, the bit Mr Prescott wants to concrete over), we are currently being turned into a national park. I had the misfortune of working in Manchester for a large part of last year and I can catagorically say that I have never met such rude, uneducated people in all my life. Above all else they all looked so ugly and unwell. What do they put in the water up there that makes everyone look like they are at deaths door?

maldon

Reaction score
Rid this country of the Blair, Presott and at the top of my list, that talking armpit, Livingstone.

Then we can start putting things back to how they should be ;)

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
I may add that living down South, I'm talking by the Sea in Bournemouth, I lived there for most of my life before departing for Somerset! Bournemouth walking into a pub, you would normally get the weirdo sat at the bar perhaps mumble and grunt a few drunken noises and no one else would really talk. I must say walking into a pub in Somerset people are so talkative and down to earth. Country life definatly has a difference, even just walking down the road people will say hello and have a chat even though they may never of seen you before. This can get annoying when you're not in the mood for a chat! lol.

When I go up North, Durham to visit my nan, a variety of people I have found friendly, but there's a degree that ruin it for us just like everywhere else.

Anyway, there's my point :)

OP
O
Reaction score
I must say, I have been doing a lot of work in Galway recently and I have never met such friendly people. Never had a bad word with anyone and they couldn't do more to help you. Can't understand a word they're saying mind......;)

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
Can't understand a word they're saying mind......;)

Nod and agree.:confused:

Top Bottom