Another Great Thing About Living in the South...

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
btw, this is the view from my living room window (taken a few weeks ago at sunrise). Hopefully you'll agree it doesn't look all that horrible for being "dan saaf".

What's this "dan saaf" bit? To us, you lot are all up North and over t'other side.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Hey Angus

I only said I could be flying my kite. The facts are the weather has conspired to stop me getting it out every time I pass the best bit of moor for doing it, or the girls have been asleep, or something else, like not having time, gets in the way.
I knew more people on my street in Windsor in 6 months than my landlord had in years ( easy, most were northern ex-pats who didn't mind exchanging words), but the whole quality of life up north just flattens anything I experienced down south.
I still have to do the big smoke for a day every couple of months, and I hate the drag of getting down there, the lousy breakfast on GNER, and the whole rat-run, rat-race, rats on a sinking ship feel to the place.
No wonder I find any excuse I can to fire up the SL and go and live a bit.
4 dec C this morning but glorious sunshine and that v8 throb. Wonderful. If only it ran on lard.

3146BJ, do you now qualify as our most southern jessy/big girl's blouse?

OP
O
Reaction score
mlc said:
Great view :)

except for the smog coming over the fields and the red sky in the morning - isnt that something to do with upper atmosphere pollution.

We have nice views in the North of course, we call then National Parks. Depending on which way you want to look you can view the peak district, yorkshire, wales or the lakes. sadly not all visible from my home but all rather local.

Mark.

actually, in a couple of years time it WILL be a National Park, we are currently going through the designation order (or some such technical term). and it's MIST MIST MIST; early morning MIST on the field I tells yer MIST :D

and you know the old farmers saying "Red sky and night, shephards delight; red sky in morning, barns on fire"

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Part of the froof of the pudding could be seen in the MB meets, you can get as many as 30 in the North, with large distances to cover, and only a few attend down south.

Malcolm

OP
O
Reaction score
nothing else to do up there though is there, other than grooming your whippets....;)

(FOR THOSE WHO ARE GETTING ANSI ABOUT THIS THREAD I WANT TO POINT OUT THIS COMMENT IS MEANT AS A JOKE)

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You could always buy a house in Wales and come home to a real fire.....

Very old joke now.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
actually, in a couple of years time it WILL be a National Park, we are currently going through the designation order (or some such technical term). and it's MIST MIST MIST; early morning MIST on the field I tells yer MIST :D

and you know the old farmers saying "Red sky and night, shephards delight; red sky in morning, barns on fire"

Mist! call that Mist, in the north we know what mist is. Actually the view is wonderful, I could live with the view, but not the neighbours :(

Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mlc said:
Mist! call that Mist, in the north we know what mist is. Actually the view is wonderful, I could live with the view, but not the neighbours :(

Mark
We too Mark get the mist coming in from sea on the south coast, sometimes for several days at a time. Cornwall can get sea mist for weeks on end. No where is perfect.

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Don't know if anyone else heard the comment today on the radio of a youngish man saying that he was still living at his parents home in the SE (London) due to the price of houses being too high. He said that he expected the Govenment to do more to help and was looking for financial help! The story was on the back of Abbey giving 5X salary mortgages as long as you stump up 25% down payment.
I think the Government could do something, make it more financially viable for companies to be based outside of the South East then the youngish man could go and buy a nice terrraced house beside the Rovers.
Now maybe it's just me but I don't expect handouts and probably tick everybox that means I couldn't qualify. Although I digress in that there are people who appear to live quite well on Government Cheese. When I left the Merchant Navy I was offered 3 jobs in London, 1 in Reading and 1 in South West Wales. On balance looking at quality of life (inc young son) we decided upon Wales. Spending >3hrs per day commuting in my time as well as living in a one bed flat was not something I was prepared to do.

BarryG

Reaction score
3146bj said:
What's this "dan saaf" bit? To us, you lot are all up North and over t'other side.

Yeah but your toilet water spins the wrong way too lol:eek:

Barry

BarryG

Reaction score
Its cold up north.
Had the car parked side of road this afternoon.
The ****** gritters came up our road, I knew it was cold but wasnt expecting them lol. So have to get the hose out tomorrow.

Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BarryG said:
Its cold up north.
Had the car parked side of road this afternoon.
The ****** gritters came up our road, I knew it was cold but wasnt expecting them lol. So have to get the hose out tomorrow.

Barry
Though I have said that Sweden just carries on as normal with the snow, Not so last night,so much fell everything stopped.

I have a very good Swedish test of winter tyres, will put the results up Thursday night

malcolm

OP
O
Reaction score
mlc said:

Mark

actually to be fair, the neighbours in front have occasionally landed their helicopter in the field, which is a bit of a bugger. The only house you can see from our living room belongs to Dame Maggie Smith, and I must say she's not really much of a trouble maker. Our house is detached and what neighbours we do have on either side have a combined age af about 237 so they are no trouble at all.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
actually to be fair, the neighbours in front have occasionally landed their helicopter in the field, which is a bit of a bugger. The only house you can see from our living room belongs to Dame Maggie Smith, and I must say she's not really much of a trouble maker. Our house is detached and what neighbours we do have on either side have a combined age af about 237 so they are no trouble at all.

You see - we dont have to put up with that much noise from our northern neighbours :)
on the other hand we do seem to get buzzed by the GMP helicopter quite a bit as they are following the good children of Stockport trying to escape with property that may not actually belong to them.

On an unrelated subject, we had the first frost here today. Where is the heated windscreen switch on my S Class? Surely I have not traded a lowly Mondeo for a super MB and lost the best feature of every Ford I have had since 1987. As MrsC muttered as she scrapped the ice off her SLK "never had to do this when we had a Mondeo and a Puma" - its a good point.

Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mlc said:
You see - we "never had to do this when we had a Mondeo and a Puma" - its a good point.

Mark
Reminds me of a man nearby who said said to me, this is the second puncture I have had with this car (C180) we never had any when we had the Civic.

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mlc said:
On an unrelated subject, we had the first frost here today. Where is the heated windscreen switch on my S Class? Surely I have not traded a lowly Mondeo for a super MB and lost the best feature of every Ford I have had since 1987. As MrsC muttered as she scrapped the ice off her SLK "never had to do this when we had a Mondeo and a Puma" - its a good point.

Mark
I hated that on the Fords, makes headlights glare and it was like looking through a sieve. Clean the screen inside and out and it doens't steam up. Never really had a problem clearing ice off the screen.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat said:
I hated that on the Fords, makes headlights glare and it was like looking through a sieve. Clean the screen inside and out and it doens't steam up. Never really had a problem clearing ice off the screen.

I agree this was a problem with the original versions but never had the problem after the first car, or does it just mean that I always need new glasses :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mlc said:
I agree this was a problem with the original versions but never had the problem after the first car, or does it just mean that I always need new glasses :)
I think you may have got used to it, my brothers 05 Range Rover has it and it still bugs me. I never had it long enough to get used to it I suppose.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom