Any F1 fans

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Russel driving Lewis car then, let’s see what the young Brit is like in a good car?
I'm seriously looking forward to Sunday's race now! I think George will do well, bit it may take a bit of getting used to driving the Mercedes, so my expectation is that he will not beat VB. I expect a good Q3 position though.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I'm seriously looking forward to Sunday's race now! I think George will do well, bit it may take a bit of getting used to driving the Mercedes, so my expectation is that he will not beat VB. I expect a good Q3 position though.

He has tested for Merc in last years car, I am sure he can adapt fast to the new one. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
GR?
Really hope he does well - but I'm afraid that in his eagerness to impress he'll overdrive the thing and make a mistake. Facing reality, don't think he'll end on the podium.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
George is the real deal, I've followed his career through the junior categories and where the playing fields are more level, he's beaten everyone and by some distance in GP2. I would say he is as good as Leclerc and Verstappen. If you look at his qualifying head to heads he has beaten his team mate by an average of 0.6 of a second and is unbeaten in qualifying in 2 seasons.

That is very impressive no matter what car you are driving.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
George is the real deal, I've followed his career through the junior categories and where the playing fields are more level, he's beaten everyone and by some distance in GP2. I would say he is as good as Leclerc and Verstappen. If you look at his qualifying head to heads he has beaten his team mate by an average of 0.6 of a second and is unbeaten in qualifying in 2 seasons.

That is very impressive no matter what car you are driving.

Alonso rates him as the best of the young / upcoming drivers

Scroll down to his interview

George Russell replaces Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes for Sakhir GP | F1 News (skysports.com)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... and it would be great if he had two races with Mercedes on the trot (sorry Lewis), because for the second race he would have settled into the car and really been able to show his best.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
GR?
Really hope he does well - but I'm afraid that in his eagerness to impress he'll overdrive the thing and make a mistake. Facing reality, don't think he'll end on the podium.

He may not get a podium (this weekend at least) but I really hope he gets some championship points - they are long overdue, and he has come close so many times in an under-performing car.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Wow is this true or wishful thinking, is George really getting to drive for Mercedes??

If so I will be glued.

Mercedes SL500 R231

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if he makes a good showing MB might compensate Williams and Bot with a driver swap + cash....

You mean send BOT back where he came from :p

Both BOT and RUS are contracted next year BUT 2022 is a different matter as RUS 3 year "loan" to Williams ends so unless HAM is only in for a 1 year deal BOT's days are numbered at MB (All IMO of course).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You mean send BOT back where he came from :p

Both BOT and RUS are contracted next year BUT 2022 is a different matter as RUS 3 year "loan" to Williams ends so unless HAM is only in for a 1 year deal BOT's days are numbered at MB (All IMO of course).
I was trying to be nice Jon :rolleyes::p

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Its a shame he pigeon holed himself into a Williams for 3 years, its obvious why he did it, but I think if he hadn't he would be Lewis team mate next year. I think he is absolutely nailed on for the drive in 2022 though when the regs change.

Fernando and Lewis are both right. That Williams has no business getting into Q2 mostly and for him to get there on a few occasions proves his worth.

Be interesting to see how he handles himself in combat at the sharp end though.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a shame he pigeon holed himself into a Williams for 3 years, its obvious why he did it, but I think if he hadn't he would be Lewis team mate next year.

He is there as MB wanted him in a car apparently (he is part of their driver academy) and as part of the engine supply deal to Williams, 3 year contract and he has continually outshone the car and LAT (who shouldn't be in F1 IMO). Good experience or him and good for MB to get a driver with loads of experience.

According to reports MB asked Williams to release him for '21 but they said no so BOT got another 1 year deal

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Fantastic to see another Brit lining up to drive for Mercedes, our F1 dominance set to continue although I think Lando will prove to be the better driver in the long run (Sunday may prove me wrong if he comes in the top 3)...

Mercedes SL500 R231

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Last race of the season. Lewis with no more records to brake put him in the Williams to see where he can put it on the grid and George in Lewis’s again. Oh and George will be playing rear gunner for bottas this weekend to make sure second gets secured. Only if bottas fails somewhere that Russell will be released to race

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Just for a giggle, here's my prediction for the start - we'll see how close I am :)

Front grid:
Verstappen
Bottas
Russell
Albon

End of first lap:
Verstappen 1st
Russell 2nd
Albon 3rd
Bottas 9th

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom