Been polishing the S-Class

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Almost two years ago Mercedes kindly paid for two new front wings and the rear arches to be de-rusted on my S-Class.

The job was done by Evans Halshaw in Glasgow. I was told when I handed the car in it would take 2 weeks as this was what Mercedes allocated them for the work involved, sadly it turned into almost 4 weeks and would have been longer if I had not put pressure on them to get the car back.

I went to collect the car and almost started crying when I saw the state it was in. There was overspray everywhere including the dashboard, headlamps, roof I mean everywhere, there was score marks on the rear lenses where the sander had touched them, the paint finish could only be described as heavy orange peel. Before taking the car away they told me that if I wanted to re-book it in they would rectify it, this was after almost 4 weeks in their custody. There was no way that I was going to let them do another thing to my car, I wouldn't let them paint a barn door let alone a Mercedes. There was no way that it could ever be polished up without doing major surgery.

P1030611.jpg

Last week when I had the car up on the ramp I saw for the first time just how bad the shoddy work of Evans Halshaw was, the orange peel was some of the worst I have ever seen. I knew that it was repairable but it did mean that I would have to cut the paint back using wet & dry. I took a sheet of 1200 grade and soaked it for about 10 minuted in warm water which I had added a small amount of car shampoo. I then cut the wet & dry in half and then rubbed the two halves together to remove a lot of the cutting power. This left me with an almost glass like cutting paper which wouldn't remove too much paint from the start. I removed the top layer of orange peel working the wet & dry carefully until I thought I had cut in enough. Mercedes cars do have a slight orange peel effect to their paint and if I had cut too far it would have looked out of place against the rest of the car, this I was trying to avoid.

P1030612.jpg

Once I had removed enough orange peel with the wet & dry I started cutting the paint with Farecla G3 course cutting compound which removed the wet & dry marks. When that stage was completed I applied Farecla G10 which is a fine cutting compound which removed the G3 marks. Next I started polishing, by machine using a polish that has a very slight cut until I got to this stage

P1030618.jpg

Now if I was any good with the machine I could have finished the polishing a lot quicker, but I like to finish by hand. That way there is less chance of damaging the fresh paintwork and I think the finish by hand is better than a machine

P1030615.jpg

I'm usually pretty good at spotting a car that has been repainted, but I would really struggle with this car now that the rectification is completed properly. I'm now happy with the finish and the car should be easier to keep now that I have brought the paintwork up to this stage

P1030646.jpg

P1030650.jpg

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Your 4th photo shows an amazing finish. Well done.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I'm usually pretty good at spotting a car that has been repainted, but I would really struggle with this car now that the rectification is completed properly.

Bring it round, I'll find the new paint...

I have a PTG.

Last edited:

alan782

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi (211) avantgard estate zzr1400(2012)
you couldn't just pop down to Poole and give my w211 a quick going over could you please, as yours looks mint;)

Clarkey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S Class (L) 320 CDi
I agree. Superb job. When the warm weather lands I will attempt mine......

johnboy615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 c220 Coupe
Great work but a poor ad for Evans Halshaw. It's lucky for you that you had the expertise to rectify it; I pity anyone else having "repairs" done there.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well done and a nice job all worth while :D:D

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Great work but a poor ad for Evans Halshaw. It's lucky for you that you had the expertise to rectify it; I pity anyone else having "repairs" done there.

You will find most MB corrosion repairs are 2nd rate because of the time/money allocated to do them.
iirc a W210 door top is 2.5 hours all in.

OP
47p2

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I had been paying for the work there is no way that I would give Evans Halshaw my money or my car. When MB say they are paying and you will take it to our recommended repairer you really don't have much choice.

I did complain to my dealership about the poor quality of the work and they said to take it back for rectification. That's fine if they are going to give me a like for like car, but when they offer me a Ford Ka, well you know where they can stick that

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Mine was shockingly bad on collection and the new door had a large area of basecoat sag and even a dent...

Good job I spotted it before driving away.

That halogen worklight and reflection shots mean you're a detailingworld fan... ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I had been paying for the work there is no way that I would give Evans Halshaw my money or my car. When MB say they are paying and you will take it to our recommended repairer you really don't have much choice.

I did complain to my dealership about the poor quality of the work and they said to take it back for rectification. That's fine if they are going to give me a like for like car, but when they offer me a Ford Ka, well you know where they can stick that

Where would you wish a Ford Ka to be stuck :confused:

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
Yes nice job and lucky you could do it yourself and even more lucky you have a posh garage to put it in:)

OP
47p2

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been dabbling in car polishing for many years now Malcolm. I don't profess to be an expert and could never make a living from doing it as I take far too long, but I do get a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction from doing rectification work like this.

A lot of people would never contemplate using wet & dry on their S-Class, but with the amount of orange peel I had there was no other way to tackle this.

OP
47p2

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Only for a week... give it a go.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
A lot of people would never contemplate using wet & dry on their S-Class, but with the amount of orange peel I had there was no other way to tackle this.

Have you ever tried touching in chips or scratches and using wet sanding to flatten back down?
I have once using 2500 grit but was dissapointed with the results. Perhaps I just needed to polish more and to be fair silver does show the rubbing down.

OP
47p2

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem touching in chips is the paint shrinks as it dries, You need to ensure the paint gets right into every edge of the repair and it is raises enough when it has dried so that when you are cutting back with wet & dry you are mostly cutting the repair, not the existing paint.

A small circle of 2500 grade stuck to the end of a pencil eraser makes cutting back a lot easier

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you ever tried touching in chips or scratches and using wet sanding to flatten back down?
I have once using 2500 grit but was dissapointed with the results. Perhaps I just needed to polish more and to be fair silver does show the rubbing down.

It never works,, the texture will always be different,,it fill the holes, then wipe the last coat with my finger to colour correct and bring out the metalic effect, leave fro a day and T cut off the good paint. clear coats are no good as they are too dark and you cannot feather it off

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
1200 then 1500 then 2000 grade and polish..'tho we normally would start with 1000 grade for heavy orange peel like that, sometimes it happens when a painter is having an off day,
we would flat with 1000 with a view to relacquering again to get a much better finish, but on occasions we have gone down the next grade route ie. 1500 and then polished and got a fantastic finish.....'
tho it does flatten the paint, but an S class well polished wont look out of place with a smooth paint finish..

OP
47p2

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tho it does flatten the paint, but an S class well polished wont look out of place with a smooth paint finish..

No but one door would look out of place against the rest of the car

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom