Blown Intercooler.

Nitecard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C250 Estate
I put my foot down coming down a slip road onto a dual carriageway, the engine 'coughed' loss of power, engine light on, it went into some sort of limp mode, got it to my mechanic, it appears that somehow the intercooler cover had blown off, it's with him now awaiting the bad news.
Has anybody experienced or heard of this?

The car is a 2015 C Class C250, 19800 miles.

Bought in January from independent dealer, it looks like it has only had two services the last in 2017, even though very low mileage I guess it should have had timed not mileage services, in which case it has missed three?

I am loathe to take it to the main dealer who I couldn't even get through to.

Any thoughts? Can MB be liable? it is such a low mileage car, but with missed services?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Intercooler isn’t a service item, so missing a service will not affect it. 250’s normally blow a boost pipe, has it been remapped or damaged?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
I put my foot down coming down a slip road onto a dual carriageway, the engine 'coughed' loss of power, engine light on, it went into some sort of limp mode, got it to my mechanic, it appears that somehow the intercooler cover had blown off, it's with him now awaiting the bad news.
Has anybody experienced or heard of this?

The car is a 2015 C Class C250, 19800 miles.

Bought in January from independent dealer, it looks like it has only had two services the last in 2017, even though very low mileage I guess it should have had timed not mileage services, in which case it has missed three?

I am loathe to take it to the main dealer who I couldn't even get through to.

Any thoughts? Can MB be liable? it is such a low mileage car, but with missed services?
From previous experiences on here, it is difficult enough to get goodwill with service history; questionable if you would get it without. Even my dealership advised me to get my 3rd year service/MOT in before the time to avoid any hassle outwith warranty. No harm in trying, though.

Ernie

OP
N

Nitecard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C250 Estate
Not mapped (to my knowledge).

The car does lose a small amount of coolant with no evidence of leaks - oil/exhaust ok, is that connected?

The car is a Cat N, I have no information, the car is very straight, if had been front end damage I don't know whether the intercooler would have been touched, I feel there should have been structural damage to get that far in.

OP
N

Nitecard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C250 Estate
From previous experiences on here, it is difficult enough to get goodwill with service history; questionable if you would get it without. Even my dealership advised me to get my 3rd year service/MOT in before the time to avoid any hassle outwith warranty. No harm in trying, though.

Ernie
That was my gut feeling.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Not mapped (to my knowledge).

The car does lose a small amount of coolant with no evidence of leaks - oil/exhaust ok, is that connected?

The car is a Cat N, I have no information, the car is very straight, if had been front end damage I don't know whether the intercooler would have been touched, I feel there should have been structural damage to get that far in.

I would suspect its had front end damage, and the ends of the intercooler have been cracked and missed.

Insurance adjusters fight for every component, so I wouldn't put it past them.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom