BlueEfficiency/BlueTec

pace

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 & 2006 A 150 SE
Morning all, I am finally about to start S/H car hunting to replace my aged ML. I am looking at getting a newer equivalent, so an ML 280/300/320, probably about 10 - 12 years old.

Could somebody please explain the difference between a BlueEfficiency, BlueTec badged car or a standard one?

I was told by a mechanic, a while back, to avoid BE/BT and get a standard car, but this seems to limit my choice somewhat.

I am no too concerned about economy, but I am concerned about long term reliability as I would hope to get a reasonably hassle free 10 years, as with the last one!

Many thanks.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Morning - good question!

If it is a diesel car you are looking at the dilemma really concerns whether you buy an EU5 (Blueeffiency/DPF) or EU6 (Blueeffiency/DPF/ADBLUE) car as the age of vehicle you are looking at buying encompasses a choice of both.
The EU5 car uses a new type of fuel injector hence the term Blueeffiency and has a DPF to filter soot out of the exhaust gases to reduce particulates into the atmosphere.
The EU6 in my opinion is likely to be more problematic in so far as it uses an urea injection tank and pump and delivers ADBLUE directly into the exhaust to lower NOx levels.

The EU5 doesn’t meet ULEZ emissions regs but the EU6 does which might be a consideration in your choice

My view is that I won’t consider buying an EU6 car due to the added complexity of the emissions systems especially the reliability of the ADBLUE system. The EU5 diesel car I’m running at the moment will be my last diesel but has been reliable so I’ve no complaints. If you want a diesel I would buy a W/S212 Blueeffiency model MY 2011/12/13 they are well built and reliable but like all cars have weak points so do your homework before buying

Last edited:
OP
P

pace

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm, yes, its definitely a diesel that I'm after.

I don't mind going for an earlier car as long as I can find one without astronomical milage!
My old 270 has been a great work horse, and although still running well, now has an ever increasing list of small niggles, and more importantly, is beginning to look a little tatty.

Am I right in assuming that if I find a car that isn't badged BE or BT it wont have all the emissions gadgets and DPF? So should therefore be less hassle to maintain?

OP
P

pace

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BTW, I have no need or desire to drive into London, or any other city for that matter. most of my driving is local and rural/semi rural.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)

I don't mind going for an earlier car as long as I can find one without astronomical milage!
My old 270 has been a great work horse, and although still running well, now has an ever increasing list of small niggles, and more importantly, is beginning to look a little tatty.

Am I right in assuming that if I find a car that isn't badged BE or BT it wont have all the emissions gadgets and DPF? So should therefore be less hassle to maintain?
At minimum it will have a DPF, they were mandatory from 06 onwards I think

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

I’m afraid you won’t find anything post 09 reg that isn’t EU5/6 you do have the option of a W/S211 if you can find a low mileage example they were very well built MY2007-9 so a 220/280/320cdi would fit the bill but as you know they will be fairly scarse in good order nowadays.

As I said above there are still some very good W/S212 cars still coming onto the market so taking your time and going after the right car is the way to go and do post your thoughts and a link to what you are looking at buying and you will get a lot of advice from the forum to help you choose

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My 2009 E320cdi om642 engine (shared with the ML ) doesn’t have a dpf and is Euro 4 , so some of the ML’s may fall into this area . Obviously no dpf significantly removes some of the diesel issues

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EU5 was mandatory from 2009 at least with the E class they were an option on some of the later W/S211 models
I thought it was early but you could well be right, I think most facelift 211’s had them as standard
Well I’d stand corrected ;)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 2009 E320cdi om642 engine (shared with the ML ) doesn’t have a dpf and is Euro 4 , so some of the ML’s may fall into this area . Obviously no dpf significantly removes some of the diesel issues

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
A year ago I bought a 2012 Viano 3.0CDi (om642) which is an EU5 BlueEfficiency. I've always been happy with higher mileage cars but was pleased to find one under 60K and paid a premium price thinking it may push out some problems further into the future... even beyond my ownership.

The engine and associated systems have been faultless and have given me confidence they will be for many years to come. I'd not worry at all about the EU5 engines... but I'd look much more thoughtfully at the EU6 models from all I heard and read when I was looking for mine.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I had a Blue Efficiency 207 350CDI for 8 years and 67k miles and never had any problems with it. As long as you don’t do lots of short journeys you’ll be fine. As others have said, though, avoid BlueTec EU6 because that is a whole different story.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Probably more correct to say that all >2009 W/S212 are EU5 and all facelift >2013 W/S212 are BlueTEC EU6.
As far as W/S211 are concerned you would need to look at the VIN it was certainly offered as option and may well have been a no cost option

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Morning all, I am finally about to start S/H car hunting to replace my aged ML. I am looking at getting a newer equivalent, so an ML 280/300/320, probably about 10 - 12 years old.

Could somebody please explain the difference between a BlueEfficiency, BlueTec badged car or a standard one?

I was told by a mechanic, a while back, to avoid BE/BT and get a standard car, but this seems to limit my choice somewhat.

I am no too concerned about economy, but I am concerned about long term reliability as I would hope to get a reasonably hassle free 10 years, as with the last one!

Many thanks.
I wud avoid adblu it just another system for dealers to screw u on look be. or even another ml like urs a rare low miles tidy one, u already know all the things to look for. As far as all the emissions crap goes I don't believe any of it is very reliable or economic on the wallet. Older better, easier to fix and lots known on pitfalls to avoid my last 2 cars have, frankly, been a walk from one load of possible dramas into another load or real dramas, not a mistake I will make again.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wouldn’t rely on badging as a guide as owners (and even garages ) have been known to badge things incorrectly and remove badges.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I'm on my 2nd AdBlu EU6 MB 350 V6 diseasel, approaching 150k miles in total, so far. The only 'problem' was when the dealer ticked the service sheet to say AdBlu had been added and it hadn't so I got the fail to start message (and a pair of rear tyres and a service in recompense). :geek::shock:;)

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I’d avoid bluetec if you want things to be more simple. Too many stories of ad blue count downs, ad blue related issues to hardware and software. I had an e350 cdi blue efficiency 2010 and that did just under 100k trouble free miles from new but it lived on the motorway, same as an Astra gtc 2.0 diesel, again trouble free over 98k from new living on the motorway despite a dodgy clutch from new.

I have a 2011 bluetec S350 (eu6) now on 52k! and despite doing very little miles I always go the long way round and give it a good run on the carriageways/motorway every other week. Also there is an additive (3RG) that prevents crystallisation which I’d say is well worth it as a preventative caution. Fellow owners also drain and fill the **** pot on routine basis. I wouldn’t say avoid the bluetec but, be aware of the issues and try and prevent them. The 350 diesels are good solid tried and tested units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The bluetec cars with adblue are indeed more troublesome, and complicated. If you need one for ULEZ though it’s a necessary evil. The blue efficiency cars have DPF, but no adblue. They have better injectors than the earlier cars like mine, and can regularly return 35/37 mpg, where my older one will only give 30/32 mpg. My stepfather has a 2011 blue efficiency, and it’s been a great car. If you only do local running around there are better choices, but for general use it’s a great machine

OP
P

pace

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow! thanks so much for all the info and opinions, it has been really helpful.

I understand that there can be a problem with an oil cooler seal on the V6 diesel, was this issue rectified after a certain year/VIN? Or is it only rectified by the replacement seal?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom