C220 CDI cuts out under acceleration

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
P1187-032 Rail pressure monitoring Control variation.
This won't be the MAF or injectors as the engine has started.

If not the pressure control valve it might be a blocked filter or leaking air in under load. Check the tank strainer and all filters/pipes.
Try running the engine from a can connected straight to the lift pump so bypassing all filters, strainer and pipes.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
it is possible it is the high pressure pump, this is thought to be less likely than leakoff - but they have ruled leakoff out? and the o-rings on the pressure regulator too as above need checking.

OP
M

mbyrnes

Reaction score
Hi again,

I've been assured by the people working on the car at the moment that all mentioned is this post has been tried. They were in the process of taking off the high pressure pump to check it although the pump had already been off and swapped with a pump from a similar car and this did not solve the problem. Now I have just got off the phone to another mechanic who reckons this is being caused by the turbo and probably a turbo sensor! Does this make any sense to you guys?

Thanks,

Michael.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Now I have just got off the phone to another mechanic who reckons this is being caused by the turbo and probably a turbo sensor! Does this make any sense to you guys?

Thanks,

Michael.
It might for power loss and limp home mode, but not for a complete cut out.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
rail pressure control faults (as in your recurring fault code) cannot be turbo related, although some do mistake rail and boost pressure they are two completely different things!

OP
M

mbyrnes

Reaction score
Hi,

Spoke with garage again this evening and they had taken the pump off for inspection. Guy said he had never seen a pump so worn or showing signs of age and wear. They are now in the process of reconditioning and rebuilding the pump and are confident this will resolve the problem. Fingers crossed and hopefully this will be the final leg of the saga..
Thanks again for all the advice and help. Will update as soon as I know more.

Michael.

OP
M

mbyrnes

Reaction score
Hi,

Car fixed and running like a dream. Bought this car from a (cowboy) dealer in South London in Jan and drove it properly for the first time today. Turned out to be the pump but the condition of two of the injectors made finding the problem more troublesome. Anyway thanks to all who posted and replied to this post. Great forum with great people.

Michael.

mymelt8

Reaction score
Website
www.adamtolner.com
Your Mercedes
CLK320 cdi 2006 / C220 cdi 2005
I had this exact problem on my 2002 270 cdi. It was a faulty injector seal causing low fuel pressure. New injector fitted 40k ago and no problems since.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom