C220 CDI Heater Booster Runs too long/always

biltong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2000 (W Reg) W202
Hi

I am having a problem with the heater booster on my C220 CDI W202 (W Reg - 2000). The heater booster seems to run all the time. I can park the car up and go out three hours later and it will be running. I can feel the hot air from the little exhaust under the front right bumper and smell diesel. I have the system Off on the centre console (light in the switch is illuminated) but it makes no difference.

This problem seemed to appear only after I had all four tyres changed and alignment done last week. Before then it was fine. (Since the tyre change I also have the BAS ESP dashboard on permanently.) I am taking the car back to the garage as the alignment seems to be a little off, and I believe this could cause the BAS ESP lamp to come on.

So, help! Any ideas on the heater booster? How do I turn it off. I don't believe I need it - the outside temperature is currently in the mid teens so I'm sure it's not required.

As an extra point, I have also noticed the engine temperature never seems to get above 50 degrees. It has been like this since I got the car a few months ago, but not sure if this has any bearing on the problem.

Thanks for any assistance...

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Fuel powered heater booster should not run if outside temperature is over 5C, or coolant (engine) temperature over about 80C (if I remember right). Garage has somehow short circuited the webasto wires?

If the heater is original, I think there should be fuse in the fuse box, try remove that?

At least you need to change your thermostat, 50C is way too low.

OP
B

biltong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update: Some drama and some success.

After taking the car back to get the wheels balanced again and fix the alignment (I could feel it was out) the BAS ESP light has gone out. So that was definitely linked to the alignment.

I had the car looked at by an Indy and had the car serviced and the thermostat replaced. I now get over 80C on the engine every time I drive, so happy with that.

HOWEVER... the drama with the heater booster has hit panic level. I thought it had corrected itself as I didn't hear it running for a few days. However since the service it has been on again, and this afternoon after not using the car for 2 days the battery is so low the engine won't even turn over. It has been about 25 deg C the last three days and the heater booster has been running during this time. HELP! What can I do.

I am happy to cut wires to thes thing to stop it running. People have said I should pull fuses, but which? All the fuses appear to feed multiple items, so that may not be so simple.

I am now desperate, as I have to go to Somerset in 2 days for a funeral, and I can see myself stranded somewhere and not being able to get anywhere...

OP
B

biltong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SUCCESS! - well, sort of.

I have jut returned from Somerset, and in the past week the heater booster has not come on at all. What have I done? Jolly good question! All I know is that the booster hasn't run since I removed the battery to charge it again. Perhaps removing the battery has reset something.

So, I am happy for the moment. Thanks for showing interest.

Cheers.

Top Bottom