C230 smart key down, can replacing ignition switch and key fix problem?

Ahdallas13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 c230 kompressor
Bought at auction...and I have a key. It worked on the door locks, for a short couple of days, but never did it let me turn the key or start the car . It won't budge.
So instead of going to the dealer and having them order one from Germany and then towing the car two cities away to the dealer for them to then program the key (which is the only way they will do it.) Could I just buy a used ignition switch and key on eBay/Amazon and slip them in and go? I have taken the chip out of the case and the coil had already been broken or was broken when I took it apart. So I don't know if they are replaceable or if it's worth even trying. Hence my new ignition and a key for $70-$80 rather than $300 plus from the dealer.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You can get coils on eBay. You need to change a lot more than just key and switch for it all to work.

OP
A

Ahdallas13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 c230 kompressor
You can get coils on eBay. You need to change a lot more than just key and switch for it all to work.
So, in your opinion it would save Alot of potential head ache and time to just skip the b.s. and go get a synched key from Mercedes? How frustrating. I don't see this major effort in security/smart keys/getting new keys being such a nightmare and an expensive one at that doing much more than absolutely frustrating Mercedes owners rather than thwarting potential car thieves. not even a locksmith can make you a new one. . Thanks for the answer. .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As suggested try a replacement coil but if that doesn't work you need a replacement key. There are third party key suppliers (replacement Mercedes Keys for example) and companies that can fix them (JohnnySBC on here).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom