C270 cdi loss of power

RGAV1976

Reaction score
Was driving down the road when the car lost its power and black smoke started coming from the exaust. Took it to a garage, he plugged his laptop in. Could'nt find any faults and he said he turned down the turbo boost. Can you do this using a laptop? Since then ive had the EGR valve blanked off, that stopped the black smoke. All pipes checked out, no leaks and the intercooler was leaking air so i had that changed. If you squeeze the intercooler pipe you can feel the turbo boost. Tried it with the MAF disconnected, still no difference. Car drives really smooth but turbo's not kicking in.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Is the air filter clean?

Also, don't understand how you can feel the boost, as the turbo wastegate won't move when in park..

Last edited:
OP
R

RGAV1976

Reaction score
The air filter is brand new. The mechanic said if you rev the engine and you squeeze the intercooler pipe you can feel the boost going through. Or is he having me on!

OP
R

RGAV1976

Reaction score
Can you turn down the turbo boost using a laptop?

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
check the black pipe going to the egr valve, on the front right hand side of engine, its about 3-4inches in diameter, these are very common for splitting on the 270cdi, causing the exact symptoms you are stating.

If you look at this pipe when someone is revving the engine you will hear it hissing if it is split

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Thanks, thought it was only when in drive.

Consider myself corrected.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
we really need your fault codes to help. no, he can`t turn down the boost with a laptop :eek: . i use star and among it`s myriad windows of functionality i cannot raise/lower boost levels, lower displayed mileage, or anything else mercedes does not want me meddling with! :roll:

the more common causes of your symptoms are split hose or intercooler, faulty air mass sensor, sticking egr valve (it concerns me that this has been blanked off) or blocked catalytic convertor/s.

if you can get the fault codes this would help, but ideally i would need to see live data and do egr and air mass tests etc.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
should also add, we see some turbo faults with the variable vane turbos with the y100 servo actuators on cdi3 engines.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
should also add, we see some turbo faults with the variable vane turbos with the y100 servo actuators on cdi3 engines.

Welcome to the forum alexander nice to have you on board

OP
R

RGAV1976

Reaction score
A laptop's been plugged in and there were no faults. There was a hissing noise when you accelerated, but now the intercooler's been changed the hissing noise has gone. Only noise left is a loud whining sound when i'm driving. When you put your foot when stationary the turbo doesn't kick in like it used to. It kicks in once you are moving. The mechanic said he blanked the EGR valve off to stop the smoking. Its done that but doesn't drive nothing like it used to. It's been remapped, so it was pretty fast before this happened.

Top Bottom