Can a competent diy do this

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
Test/regas/charge the air con on an old w211 and fit a pressure sensor underneath. Or pay somebody.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I’m not sure it’s even legal to do that by a non-qualified person but I could be completely wrong.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’m not sure it’s even legal to do that by a non-qualified person but I could be completely wrong.
The only issue with DIY is if there is any gas left in the system - if so it needs to be recovered
If the system is empty - no issue with changing bits

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
There's plenty in the system but the pressure switch is faulty hence sometimes it doesn't come on. It was just an idea to do it myself that's all.
I noticed that a can of gas is £50-60, I don't have the equipment but would get it for future use.
There's plenty of vids etc so shouldn't be a problem.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
There's plenty in the system but the pressure switch is faulty hence sometimes it doesn't come on. It was just an idea to do it myself that's all.
I noticed that a can of gas is £50-60, I don't have the equipment but would get it for future use.
There's plenty of vids etc so shouldn't be a problem.

You can get a full Air Con Service at ATS via Groupon for £45

Last edited:
OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
I need a pressure switch then regassed etc not just a service

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
The pressure switch on my Audi was on a shrader valve, so no gas lost when changing. Don't know if MB have been so considerate and done the same?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I don't see how you would know if the correct amount of gas has been put in.

For me,
off to ATS, they can recover the gas in the system.
carry out repair,
back to ATS for correct amount to be refilled. If they will carry out a nitrogen pressure test prior to the machine (unreliable) vacuum test that gives added peace of mind that the gas 'aint gonna disappear over the next week.

Tbh replacing the switch should be easy enough while at ATS, so no need to return.

My 211 wouldn't blow cold until after I had reset the AC system with an iCarsoft V2, post refill.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
The pressure switch on my Audi was on a shrader valve, so no gas lost when changing. Don't know if MB have been so considerate and done the same?
I don't know as so far I can't find anything about simply changing it. If it's the same as your Audi then I'll do, if not then I'll read up more.

5w155t0ny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
I don't see how you would know if the correct amount of gas has been put in.

For me,
off to ATS, they can recover the gas in the system.
carry out repair,
back to ATS for correct amount to be refilled. If they will carry out a nitrogen pressure test prior to the machine (unreliable) vacuum test that gives added peace of mind that the gas 'aint gonna disappear over the next week.

Tbh replacing the switch should be easy enough while at ATS, so no need to return.

My 211 wouldn't blow cold until after I had reset the AC system with an iCarsoft V2, post refill.
The way Mercedes is going I wouldn't be surprised if they soon required an iCarsoft reset after filling the fuel tank.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
I know, the way things are going with cars I'm sick of it as are many others. It's nice at times to have fancy things but it's not the be all etc.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The way Mercedes is going I wouldn't be surprised if they soon required an iCarsoft reset after filling the fuel tank.
That automatically resets the bank account.
Damned clever these Europeans.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

Your company must be certified to:

• install
  • repair
  • maintain
  • decommission
It is against the law to work with F gas if you don’t have the correct certification. If you don’t, you could receive a civil penalty for breaking the law.

Any individual who works with and handles F gas must have personal qualifications to work with F gas.

however its a modern law written as we do these days, using halfwits, thus has many conflicting elements any moron could ague over

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Look up GROUPON vouchers , and air con recharge deals and you will find a recharge with ATS euromaster is £42.
Used to be able to get a can of gas for £20 and get £10 back on the old canister , but not anymore as the price of the cans has shot up and there is no return fee on the empty can.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
The pressure sensor afaik simply screws off ,revealing a car tyre type valve ,so no gas is lost . You'd need to know which side is high pressure and low pressure . Before putting in Halfords gas . You may also need an icarsoft scanner if you have to reset the system, otherwise it still won't let it work.something even my local ATS didn't know anything about .

Best buy a switch and take it to a qualifying engineer and let them do it tbh.

Screenshot_20230615-064438.png

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom