Can anyone help diagnose this noise?

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI AMG (line) Sport BlueEFFICIENCY Estate
Hi all, I drive a 2013 W204 C220 CDI. Been hearing a slight very quiet rattling sound during acceleration for a little while now but haven’t had time to take it anywhere to get looked at. Just today I popped the hood and took off the engine cover and I’m hearing metallic tinny rattle. From what I’ve heard before it doesn’t sound like knocking or ticking, it’s very tinny.

Here’s a video of the noise, at some points its easier to hear:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, hoping it’s nothing too serious.

Thanks

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Sounds completely normal for an OM engine

OP
Aedmer

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds completely normal for an OM engine
Maybe I am just paranoid. Friend had a listen and he can’t hear what I’m hearing. Thanks for the reply.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Sounds normal to me. It's a four pot diesel. You should hear our Landrover Defenders in the morning. Superb engines, but not the quietest. The answer is,I find, 1. do not open the bonnet, and 2. do not remove the engine cover when it is running :),. Now you know what the cover is for - it suppresses the almighty racket.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I don't know what noise specifically you're referring to, as there is a lot of racket, but is it the noise that is more noticeable at 14-16 seconds on the vid?
The phone moves around too quickly at that point and gets shoved next to something out of focus so I can't understand what you put the phone next to, but I can hear more clearly at that time stamp a different noise.
If it is the noise that is more noticeable at 14-16 seconds, my guess would be something on belts or pulleys, or some sort of air/vacuum leak.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I can hear it specifically at 09, 17 and 18 seconds, at first I thought it sounds like mine then as your camera pans around it starts picking up a higher 'tinny' pitched tapping sound, in synch with the firing order, if you concentrate on where the camera was looking at those times to zero in on the source?

OP
Aedmer

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can hear it specifically at 09, 17 and 18 seconds, at first I thought it sounds like mine then as your camera pans around it starts picking up a higher 'tinny' pitched tapping sound, in synch with the firing order, if you concentrate on where the camera was looking at those times to zero in on the source?
I’ve recorded a better vid this morning, it’s clearest here from about 0:15 onwards. Hard to pick up though because the noise itself it sort of intermittent.

OP
Aedmer

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know what noise specifically you're referring to, as there is a lot of racket, but is it the noise that is more noticeable at 14-16 seconds on the vid?
The phone moves around too quickly at that point and gets shoved next to something out of focus so I can't understand what you put the phone next to, but I can hear more clearly at that time stamp a different noise.
If it is the noise that is more noticeable at 14-16 seconds, my guess would be something on belts or pulleys, or some sort of air/vacuum leak.
Yes thats the noise, I’ve replied to Tony Dyson and attached a better video from this morning.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Potentially the start of an injector seal leaking. Look down the top of the injectors for evidence of blowby,

OP
Aedmer

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Potentially the start of an injector seal leaking. Look down the top of the injectors for evidence of blowby,
Just had a look, that looks like the case.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not a horrible or expensive job, if you do it asap and do not let it leak for ages!

OP
Aedmer

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not a horrible or expensive job, if you do it asap and do not let it leak for ages!
Thanks for your reply, feel stupid for not looking better. Not sure how severe this is but from seeing other examples of ‘the black death’ online this looks pretty minor. Taking it into a garage today or tomorrow

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmm, usually when you can see a layer like that, its been leaking for a while. As long as they get the engine nice and hot, it should come out without major issues.

OP
Aedmer

Aedmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmm, usually when you can see a layer like that, its been leaking for a while. As long as they get the engine nice and hot, it should come out without major issues.
Is there a chance this has caused damage elsewhere? If repair costs are through the roof I’m gonna be in real trouble

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom