Can seat belt sensor fault cause starting problems ?

Jasper2447

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avant Garde diesel
My A180 has been giving me intermittent starting/cutting out problems for some weeks now and the MB garage is unable to pinpoint the fault.
I now find that a friend attempted to fix a jammed rear seat belt buckle and replaced the fixed part of the mechanism between the rear seat squabs. I had paid him to take it to MB to get this done but he did it himself and pocketed the cash !! Some friend.
however, I realised that he may have simply severed the wire from the buckle which leads away under the floor or shorted it out and I wondered if this could result in an SRS fault which would immobilise the car
The starting/cutting out problems started immediately after this seat belt “replacement so my suspicions are fully active.
If I take the car back to MB and ask them to concentrate their diagnostics on the SRS module would that help?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
My A180 has been giving me intermittent starting/cutting out problems for some weeks now and the MB garage is unable to pinpoint the fault.
I now find that a friend attempted to fix a jammed rear seat belt buckle and replaced the fixed part of the mechanism between the rear seat squabs. I had paid him to take it to MB to get this done but he did it himself and pocketed the cash !! Some friend.
however, I realised that he may have simply severed the wire from the buckle which leads away under the floor or shorted it out and I wondered if this could result in an SRS fault which would immobilise the car
The starting/cutting out problems started immediately after this seat belt “replacement so my suspicions are fully active.
If I take the car back to MB and ask them to concentrate their diagnostics on the SRS module would that help?

MB would most probably want to check for any codes stored, but it wouldn't do any harm to inform them of the work your 'friend' did. Was the fixed part actually replaced or do you think he may have 'fudged' the original bit to get it to work? Depending on where you are, it would be cheaper to find a reliable MB independent.

What some folks will stoop to for a few bob!

Ernie

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if its been at a main Merc dealer I'm sure they would have found any excuse to relieve you of wads of cash claiming everything is linked

Its highly unlikely that'll stop it running, but your explanation of a fault and what may have been done, does sound very strange and potentially stupid. Sounds more like the car is towards end of life / had interesting maintenance history, rather than the seat belt is related to the way it runs and or starts

OP
J

Jasper2447

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avant Garde diesel
if its been at a main Merc dealer I'm sure they would have found any excuse to relieve you of wads of cash claiming everything is linked

Its highly unlikely that'll stop it running, but your explanation of a fault and what may have been done, does sound very strange and potentially stupid. Sounds more like the car is towards end of life / had interesting maintenance history, rather than the seat belt is related to the way it runs and or starts
FC

OP
J

Jasper2447

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avant Garde diesel
Sorry. I gave duff info. It’s B180 Sport. Not the A180 I first said.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
age and mileage would help others know if likely engine / management related issues are coming up

Top Bottom