Charge movement flap (cylinder bank 1) has a malfunction

tyremandurham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Mercedes Sprinter 2.2cdi 651 engine
Hi there first post so bear with me....
I have a 2014 2.2 cdi 651 engine and i have recently replaced it with a 2011 engine from a donor van. I had to change a few sensors but once fitted the van fired up right away which i was pleased about.

The van once revved hard throws up 3 faults...

1. P200A-21 The charge movement flap (cylinder bank 1) has a malfuntion. The signal amplitude is less than the minimun amplitude. Current, pending, stored.

2. P200A-22 The charge movement flap (cylinder bank 1) has a malfuntion. The signal amplitude is greater than the maximun amplitude. Current, pending, stored.

3. P2463-00 The soot content of the diesel particle filter is not OK. There is a general failure. Pending, Stored.

I was told by a friend instead of swapping both inlet manifolds to just take the swirl flap motor out of the original manifold and put it in the new engines manifold but that doesnt have swirl flaps fitted but just to plug it in and the motor would think it was connected.

Has anyone had this fault before or has anyone else changed just the motor like this?

The van runs fine at idle then if you rev it sometimes it revs to 4000rpm other times it runs lumpy and wont go over 3000rpm.

I have cleaned the dpf out and ready for a regen but it wont do it with the current faults. 20200520_101020.jpg

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Hi tyremandurham, you've come to the right place LOL. Looks as if the ECU is searching for the swirl valve motor that isn't there. I think your friend is right. If the swirl flap motor plug isn't plugged in my guess is thats what the first code will be. I think the turbo code might be related to the blocked DPF as I had a code similar when mine was full Some of the other techs will be along to tell you what exactly to do in case I am wrong.

OP
T

tyremandurham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Problem solved i have had the swirl flaps deleted from the ecu as it was a cheap option than buying a new manifold with motor included from mercedes. I also opened up the dpf to find it damaged too so removed it and got a dpf delete done as again it was a cheaper option to having to buy a new unit.

Thank you for the reply kev555 20200518_205614.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
FFS.
If you can't afford to maintain a car legally don't get it.
Bring on NOx and particulate testing at MOT.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cleaned my DPF as I dont like the thought of black smoke filling the road behind me, Whats yours like for smoke now? DPF deletes are a contentious subject on the forum here so I will skirt around that one:D Interesting to see you could delete the EGR and swirl valves without them being present if thats what you done in the end?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Basically make the emissions kit more reasonably priced and such that one does NOT Need a replacement manifold and erg kit accesable as it plainly requires servicing then most, prob won't do the deletes. Regrettably I Will do the deletes if the alternative is a £300 manifold /burnt egr motor/controller or 600 DPF.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The way I look at it is that if you buy a diesel to get better economy (sod all other reasons in my view) then as part of those economy savings is an acceptance that emissions are an issue and that there is a duty of care to the rest of the population to maintain those emissions systems correctly.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I see the key to complete acceptance of emmisions equipment as simple. Cost of same, with regulation. Ie carrot, not stick, if makers want to bend me over their barrel then That creates the desire/market for "Grey" solutions..just like I ain't going near a dealer "update" that as indicated on here, makes my motor LESS economic.

Last edited:
OP
T

tyremandurham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cleaned my DPF as I dont like the thought of black smoke filling the road behind me, Whats yours like for smoke now? DPF deletes are a contentious subject on the forum here so I will skirt around that one:D Interesting to see you could delete the EGR and swirl valves without them being present if thats what you done in the end?

No smoke at all now it has been mapped but it did smoke as i was driving it to the garage to get the map done.

I can afford to do the repairs correctly kiwi just saved myself £100's doing it this way

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No smoke at all now it has been mapped but it did smoke as i was driving it to the garage to get the map done.

I can afford to do the repairs correctly kiwi just saved myself £100's doing it this way

What BHP did you get it mapped too? Love driving mine now as it was always sluggish low down in gears, partly due to gearbox ratios

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The way I look at it is that if you buy a diesel to get better economy (sod all other reasons in my view) then as part of those economy savings is an acceptance that emissions are an issue and that there is a duty of care to the rest of the population to maintain those emissions systems correctly.

With all the additional emission equipment added to diesel vehicles over the last few years and its lifetime limitations or shortcomings theres actually no savings and if anything extra costs in owning a diesel vehicle. Due to all the government and emission expenses tagged on the only realistic option to make any savings is to drive on illegal fuel. Sorry but thats my hardened view and I dont drive on red or kerosene mixtures for the record yet.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With all the additional emission equipment added to diesel vehicles over the last few years and its lifetime limitations or shortcomings theres actually no savings and if anything extra costs in owning a diesel vehicle. Due to all the government and emission expenses tagged on the only realistic option to make any savings is to drive on illegal fuel. Sorry but thats my hardened view and I dont drive on red or kerosene mixtures for the record yet.
LPG? Cheaper than diesel with none of the nasty pollutants.
And legal.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LPG? Cheaper than diesel with none of the nasty pollutants.
And legal.
Trying to find an LPG pump is like trying to find hens teeth:D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Getting the Russians, Chinese USA and poles off coal would have a much bigger effect.!! I have no real issues with maintenance incl emissions kit, I have a big problem with car makers, ill thought out design and shameless pricing aimed at making emissions equipment and us as their next cash cow. I have never had to buy an inlet manifold and hope never to be in that position, but if they block up under normal use they ain't correctly thought out or designed for beyond warranty. And if I, or anyone comes up with a way to prevent that, such as egr delete I would go with that as I consider the requirement a maker defect dumped on me. I for one am not sod the planet we / do repair/recycle avoid bonfires ect. But I am sod the commercial world constantly trying to force me into more purchasing of "stuff" I never needed to purchase before.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Kev, I assume yours is working now?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Basically make the emissions kit more reasonably priced and such that one does NOT Need a replacement manifold and erg kit accesable as it plainly requires servicing then most, prob won't do the deletes. Regrettably I Will do the deletes if the alternative is a £300 manifold /burnt egr motor/controller or 600 DPF.

when u fill with fuel the price should vary based on the Reg Number....

Scrap "road tax", and for an ave car put 2p a mile on for third party insurance, 6p a mile for road maintenance and upgrades and then the next element of the charge for the environmental damage caused... petrol with a CAT post 2005, 3P a mile and all tractor fueled death traps a further £1 a mile,

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So as cheap and convenient as possible and sod the planet and everyone on it.
Ok, got it now.
The conversion price and bigger issue of no gas pumps at a filling station for probably 30 miles makes it an unrealistic financial option for most including me LK when I only do less than 10,000 miles a year. Did you convert the SL500 to gas or get a Quote? As regard sod the planet I do what I can when I can to save it as it will be home to my Children as well.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom