CL leaking window/roof

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL600 / 2007 / 5.5 litre
Thanks again for your input guys.

I considered the neoprene strip to the perimeter of the sunroof void, but there's no seal there, instead the seal is to the perimeter of the sliding sunroof itself. That doesn't sound like the best design, but maybe that's why I now have the problem.

I've spoken to MBTech in Warrington, who tell me the sunroof only has two roof drains, both to the front; reason being due to the falling roof line in that direction. So there are no rear roof drains from the sunroof. He did say there are further drain points however, so maybe I need to get my magnifying glass out and get looking for those. Water of course always travels down to the lowest point, so if there's no further drain holes in the roof then unless there's a leak on a window seal (which it doesnt seem there is) then I question how, other than an extreme case of capillary action, has the water been able to get onto the quarter lining of the roof.

I think the answer to this looks like an expensive strip out of seats, panels roof lining and quarter lining; something I unfortunately don't have the skills to do.

Again, any further thoughts are welcome. Thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It just is not funny dropping the headlining. if it is the front drains a length of garden strimmer cord should push all the way down.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
As an initial action I'd second that. See if the drain hoses are clear or blocked (or even attached) before thinking about anything else. This should be a relatively quick job- trip to B&Q, buy some strimmer cord, park up, open sunroof, poke down gently.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It just is not funny dropping the headlining. if it is the front drains a length of garden strimmer cord should push all the way down.

I looked at both front drains last week, and although the passenger side one was draining quicker than the driver side (the water problem on the roof lining is this side too), it didn't seem too bad. I'll have a go with some strimmer cord just in case that frees anything up. Beyond that I wonder if there might be a drain at the rear of the car, to take the water draining backwards, and it might be located somewhere by the interface with the bootlid? I'm going to spend some more time on it over the weekend to see what I might find.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a look at mine today, and car facing up hill I poured some water in the roof channels and there does not appear to be any rear drains as has been said.

My glass roof is a tight fit when close and no where can water get down.

I would at this point in time clean the sliding rails and lubricate with PTFE or silicon, clean all edges of the roof and apply silicon to the rubber where you can even using a knife in in accessible places like the rear, the tilt will lift the rear. The idea being that if the roof can slide easier it will close tighter like on the SL's

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a look at mine today, and car facing up hill I poured some water in the roof channels and there does not appear to be any rear drains as has been said.

My glass roof is a tight fit when close and no where can water get down.

I would at this point in time clean the sliding rails and lubricate with PTFE or silicon, clean all edges of the roof and apply silicon to the rubber where you can even using a knife in in accessible places like the rear, the tilt will lift the rear. The idea being that if the roof can slide easier it will close tighter like on the SL's

I'll give that a go Malcolm. PTFE though; the only PTFE I have used previously is PTFE tape when doing some plumbing. Is it available in a different form?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll give that a go Malcolm. PTFE though; the only PTFE I have used previously is PTFE tape when doing some plumbing. Is it available in a different form?

You buy it in cans as it a nice clean lubricant, but Silicon will do it all and the rubbers. Halfords keep them all.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You buy it in cans as it a nice clean lubricant, but Silicon will do it all and the rubbers. Halfords keep them all.

Thanks Malcolm, it's on the shopping list for tomorrow!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom