CLK 1998 (R) Auto Issue.....

Tricks06uk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CLK230
Hi All,

As you will see I am relatively new to the forums, and this only my second MB. I love the car and plan on keeping it for a long time to come, but it does have a few things that need doing to it !.

I will be taking it to Herts Merx on Friday this week coming, but wanted some ideas first if I could - feel free all to come to my rescue !!

Its doing something strange, but not all the time. When you pull away, and even when you are going along and it goes to change up gear it kangaroos and slides in to gear - the way it slides in gear can be described as when you drive a manual car and over rev, whilst letting the clutch off too slowly, you get a slow and horrible sounding gear change ! - well thats what its doing to an extent itself. When it does this, its also very slow to get up any speed between gears.

It gives a metallic clink when changing down, its not the smoothest of change downs for sure.

The weird thing is that you can leave it for a couple of hours and go back out in it, and its fine, still a little sloggish at times, but it doesnt kangaroo or over rev going in to gear.

Please, Please tell me its more than likely transmission fluid - I reckon it may well be, as the places that serviced it before I got it (it has apparent fsh) havent bothered changing the plugs etc etc on services ( I had that verified by herts merx - so I guess you could forget them checking the tran oil level !!!???

Help and ideas would be appreciated !!

Ta,

Rich

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The pilot bush could be leaking, and fluid going into the loom and ECU, if this is the case then the fluid could be too low.

OP
T

Tricks06uk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CLK230
Hey Malcolm

Thanks for your answer, It seems you are right - the bush or plug has two outer oil seal rings and it seems as though these may have gone - Herts Merx have topped it up with some more fluid for me, ahead of having the bit replaced at the begining of next month - they are great there, and your suspicions appear to have been right Thanks !!

Rich

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom