Clouds of White smoke, horrid smell!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Once the dust settles (not now as you don’t want to compromise your situation just now), it will be interesting to know who these bar stewards are

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Once the dust settles (not now as you don’t want to compromise your situation just now), it will be interesting to know who these bar stewards are
I will do one day as buyers must be made aware.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could take the easy route and return the vehicle for a full refund as not fit for purpose (clearly being illegal they don't have a leg to stand on).
Might be worth informing VOSA (or whatever name they go by now)....
VOSA will put a marker on the vehicle preventing its return to the roads until the DPF has been refitted and the car inspected by them....

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
No
You could take the easy route and return the vehicle for a full refund as not fit for purpose (clearly being illegal they don't have a leg to stand on).
Might be worth informing VOSA (or whatever name they go by now)....
VOSA will put a marker on the vehicle preventing its return to the roads until the DPF has been refitted and the car inspected by them....

Not a bad idea, however the work is underway now and I’d like to give the car a go. I doubt they would give any refund anyway, even though they legally have to. But I’m on the warpath with regards to the dealers so hopefully they will have the decency to cough up before any legal haggling!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just beware one of the tricks the pull is to wind up the company and start again in a different name before it gets to court.
Search the company name and see how long they've been trading to see if they are of that ilk.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I think we all watch too many films.
A minor misdemeanor occurs and five squad cars turn up, all noise and light, and burst through a locked door while dressed as stormtroopers, arresting every naughty car dealer in sight!

It ain't gonna happen with a dpf infringement sir. The boys in blue will just fob you off and do nothing. Not worth the powder really.

Your only course for redress is as repeatedly stated above. Keep it as simple as possible while ignoring side issues - which unfortunately includes gutting a dpf - and head for the Courts. At this stage you will not get satisfaction otherwise. And at this juncture, time is against you.

Only if the Court needs more ammunition is it time to play the 'illegal sale' card - but my guess is that it would not be a strong one.

Last edited:

Arnie

Reaction score
A bit late this reply. However, it is clear that the DPF core was removed to prevent fouling from the smoke caused by the leaking turbo. This does indicate that the issue was known at the time of sale and probably some additive was placed in the engine oil as a very temporary fix to the smoke.

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
Devils advocate...
Possibly the last owner who did this...

Dealers can be underhanded, but as an ex sales manager at a Ford dealership, i can vouch for some of the trade ins were bodged just to get rid as p/x.
It happens.

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Hello again, thank you for the replies. Plenty of useful stuff here.

Well an update, I got it back yesterday and touch wood seems running nicely. Cost almost 3k to fix but legal letters went out by special delivery yesterday also to the dealer.

Anyways, just a quick one and maybe it’s because I’m still in panic mode after the last time I drove it. I took it for a long run, driving as I believe it should be, however after about 90 minutes driving the temp gauge went up to around 90, over the middle line (which I thought that’s where it was meant to be on all cars) ino smells, smoke or bubbling sounds and I’ve read that’s around the norm. Is this another underlying coolant system issue or is it normal?

Cheers all.

Attachments

• 505DE78E-C44D-4F7D-B5E3-A249AC6FB405.jpeg
    505DE78E-C44D-4F7D-B5E3-A249AC6FB405.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
A bit late this reply. However, it is clear that the DPF core was removed to prevent fouling from the smoke caused by the leaking turbo. This does indicate that the issue was known at the time of sale and probably some additive was placed in the engine oil as a very temporary fix to the smoke.

I wholeheartedly agree, I think this was the case.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Whoa boy, before you sharpen your quill and pursue these people in the courts look into them it is unlikely you are being ignored as anything other than a routine they regularly use.
Racking up bills in the expectation that you will be recompensed by the courts come what may is a risky strategy.
Many will quote their internet law degree knowledge to you as its free on here.
Trading standards will see it as a civil matter which they don't usually have the resources to pursue.
Do you have legal expenses cover on any insurance ?

Remember you can never fully "prepare" for court action and the first course of action before firing up the wagons is to find out if they have anything you can actually get your hands on.

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Whoa boy, before you sharpen your quill and pursue these people in the courts look into them it is unlikely you are being ignored as anything other than a routine they regularly use.
Racking up bills in the expectation that you will be recompensed by the courts come what may is a risky strategy.
Many will quote their internet law degree knowledge to you as its free on here.
Trading standards will see it as a civil matter which they don't usually have the resources to pursue.
Do you have legal expenses cover on any insurance ?

Remember you can never fully "prepare" for court action and the first course of action before firing up the wagons is to find out if they have anything you can actually get your hands on.
I’ve no doubt I’m one of many customers who went after them and I’m a realist, I can’t see me getting a dime back of them. It’s for me, the principal of it. What that will get me, I don’t know but I can’t really just sit back and do nothing. “If there’s a glimmer” as they say and all that.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I’ve no doubt I’m one of many customers who went after them and I’m a realist, I can’t see me getting a dime back of them. It’s for me, the principal of it. What that will get me, I don’t know but I can’t really just sit back and do nothing. “If there’s a glimmer” as they say and all that.

Oh pursue them by all means but look into them first (and good luck) just to make sure you aren't chasing shadows.

One of those social networking sites might help unearth some information on them for you.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hello again, thank you for the replies. Plenty of useful stuff here.

Well an update, I got it back yesterday and touch wood seems running nicely. Cost almost 3k to fix but legal letters went out by special delivery yesterday also to the dealer.

Anyways, just a quick one and maybe it’s because I’m still in panic mode after the last time I drove it. I took it for a long run, driving as I believe it should be, however after about 90 minutes driving the temp gauge went up to around 90, over the middle line (which I thought that’s where it was meant to be on all cars) ino smells, smoke or bubbling sounds and I’ve read that’s around the norm. Is this another underlying coolant system issue or is it normal?

Cheers all.

Yup, that’s the nornal running temp of the car. Don’t let the gauge throw you off. Due the numbers Mercedes use it will always sit above the half way mark but 90 is normal. On my previous VW for example the number went from 50 to 130 with 90 positioned conveniently in the middle.

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
And there it goes again!! After a weekend of perfect running, long driving, turbo works fantastically! My lord does that car move!! And not even a puff of steam in the cold air!

But pulling into my drive, what happens?? Kaboom, clouds of thick smoke, strong burning smell and the cars parked up again ready to go back to the garage!

****** hell, think a trip to we buy any car is looking quite likely!!

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Oh pursue them by all means but look into them first (and good luck) just to make sure you aren't chasing shadows.

One of those social networking sites might help unearth some information on them for you.

Quite incidentally they changed the company name the day my letter to them arrived and subsequently refused it.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Quite incidentally they changed the company name the day my letter to them arrived and subsequently refused it.

That's your first shadow, find out the name/s of the owners and jointly name them and the company on any summons and if you can find any connection whatsoever their wives/partners and homes.
The "nest" is always the best place to start.
Please take on board that the above is a simplistic observation not concise legal advice.
As a LIP you can get away with all sorts.

*Litigant in Person.

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
The squeal sound you mention could be a leaking exhaust gasket either at the manifold or turbo, and the smoke could be being caused by a blocked cat or DPF and exiting through that leak.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom