Clouds of White smoke, horrid smell!

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Do you think this was a case of a car not being looked after?? Sorry to hear
Most definitely, whoever had it before has absolutely hammered it and more than likely did any repairs badly themselves. It’s a shell unfortunately. But I’m certainly far from put off from Mercedes vehicles and I’m planning on getting another ASAP but on a contract hire.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Most definitely, whoever had it before has absolutely hammered it and more than likely did any repairs badly themselves. It’s a shell unfortunately. But I’m certainly far from put off from Mercedes vehicles and I’m planning on getting another ASAP but on a contract hire.
Good on you, I hope you are not too much out of pocket.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Just heard back, it’s the fuel injectors now! Quoted at £1100. Not a bad price but I’m going to cut my losses and sell up. I think it’s genuinely a bad car and even if I did do the repair, what’s to say I won’t drive it out and 2 days later something else happens.

I’m going to pick it up shortly but quite dreading driving back with the smoke. If I used a bottle of wynns smoke away additive would that keep it clear to get me home?
Are you going to scrap it or try to sell it? I know £1100 is a lot of money but you would sell it easier if it was fixed.

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Are you going to scrap it or try to sell it? I know £1100 is a lot of money but you would sell it easier if it was fixed.
Spares or repairs. I just don’t have the 1100 to hand. I didn’t have the 2800 I just spent also but thought that it would be all sorted. Damn shame it’s a nice car.

Attachments

• 009E746E-34B9-4DB4-8A0C-94EEFDC8E34A.jpeg
    009E746E-34B9-4DB4-8A0C-94EEFDC8E34A.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 18

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spares or repairs. I just don’t have the 1100 to hand. I didn’t have the 2800 I just spent also but thought that it would be all sorted. Damn shame it’s a nice car.
I know this is a very naive but, are there many more expensive that can go wrong now. I suppose there are the engine bearings and blowing the head, but wouldn't these already show?

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
I know this is a very naive but, are there many more expensive that can go wrong now. I suppose there are the engine bearings and blowing the head, but wouldn't these already show?

Head gasket would be a biggie, cat converter. I don’t mind paying for repairs but not so many major ones in less than a month of owning it. Whoever had it before he really done a hatchet job with it. He must have been laughing his socks off when he sold it. Probably to we buy any car or something like that.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Head gasket would be a biggie, cat converter. I don’t mind paying for repairs but not so many major ones in less than a month of owning it. Whoever had it before he really done a hatchet job with it. He must have been laughing his socks off when he sold it. Probably to we buy any car or something like that.
So really you would need a whole engine/gearbox swap before you were happy?

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
So really you would need a whole engine/gearbox swap before you were happy?
It’s not just that, I’ve been badly ripped off with this car, broke down on me a week after buying it, dealer supposedly giving a 3 month warranty and they wouldn’t even take my calls. I’ve totally lost any afiinity to it, I’ve really started to hate the thing and you can’t drive something you hate. I have no confidence driving it, putting the children in it etc..

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s not just that, I’ve been badly ripped off with this car, broke down on me a week after buying it, dealer supposedly giving a 3 month warranty and they wouldn’t even take my calls. I’ve totally lost any afiinity to it, I’ve really started to hate the thing and you can’t drive something you hate. I have no confidence driving it, putting the children in it etc..
That is fair enough, hopefully you can get something you like. Good luck.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
It does look a nice car from the pic. I think given what you have already spent and your loss of confidence in the car it is probably not a bad idea to just get rid of it. Hopefully you will find a replacement that doesn't give you any problems for a while, what would your budget be? Maybe someone on this forum can point you to a goodun.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Happened on this thread by chance.
So so sorry for you.
This kind of thing is disgusting.

I was lucky with mine, but I would always get a good Indy, like MBS or Welwyn to go over any car I buy next. There is just too much that could go wrong, that I as a layman possibly wouldnt spot.

How much did you pay for the car if I may ask?
You have my sincerest commiserations.
:(:(:(:(

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm looking at c350 CDI's this year and this sort of thing really puts me off. But I'm not stupid, picking up any MB, BMW or AUDI could have these problems. I could spend 12-14k on a car that is 5-6 years old and then have to spend another 6K on fixing engine issues. I am really torn to what to do?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I'm looking at c350 CDI's this year and this sort of thing really puts me off. But I'm not stupid, picking up any MB, BMW or AUDI could have these problems. I could spend 12-14k on a car that is 5-6 years old and then have to spend another 6K on fixing engine issues. I am really torn to what to do?
I think you need to know as much about a cars history as possible and get as much info whether it be from paper records, on line or even from previous owners. After that it's looking into the particular model and any known problems and if you don't have the competence get an inspection done.
Any purchase of a used car carries a risk it's just managing to reduce this and finally ensure that any problems that do arise you have either a budget for or insure against.
Also I think these forums put you off as you only get to read about the problems and not the many successes.
I'm also thinking about a CLS, CLK or a C class V6 petrol later this year and have started looking at what's on offer and what the problems are.
Taking your time about it certainly helps too, I had only a few days when I bought my last one and did as much research as I could but certainly still managed to over look a few problems luckily not too expensive as I was able to do the work myself.
Happy car hunting and motoring.

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0

Don’t let what happened to me put you off buying a car. These things I believe are quite rare but i had the mis-fortune of having it happen to me. There will be many good quality dealerships out there and no doubt a good solid motor out there.

OP
E

Elegnem555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2011 2.0
Happened on this thread by chance.
So so sorry for you.
This kind of thing is disgusting.

I was lucky with mine, but I would always get a good Indy, like MBS or Welwyn to go over any car I buy next. There is just too much that could go wrong, that I as a layman possibly wouldnt spot.

How much did you pay for the car if I may ask?
You have my sincerest commiserations.
:(:(:(:(
I paid £5200 for it. Good price I thought. But as they always say if it’s to good to be true...

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I paid £5200 for it. Good price I thought. But as they always say if it’s to good to be true...

That was a fair price if it hadnt been deceitfully, bodged up!

70,000 was my limit, so I prefered to buy at 40,000 ... but after discovering the HK Amp has died today @ 42,000 miles ... replacement £1500 + :(:(
I think I will down grade that mileage to sub 25,000 on my next purchase.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That was a fair price if it hadnt been deceitfully, bodged up!

70,000 was my limit, so I prefered to buy at 40,000 ... but after discovering the HK Amp has died today @ 42,000 miles ... replacement £1500 + :(:(
I think I will down grade that mileage to sub 25,000 on my next purchase.
Mileage is no guarantee on many things.
My 210 was bought at 112k for £600 and has covered 30k miles since with no problems that weren't known about at purchase (crank sensor, dead pixels in the dash, occupancy sensor, air con compressor etc). It's not even needed brake pads yet!
Yet others at lower milages have had issues.
Personally it's rare I buy a car under 100k miles and with one exception (a bodged Saab) they've all been good.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mileage is no guarantee on many things.
My 210 was bought at 112k for £600 and has covered 30k miles since with no problems that weren't known about at purchase (crank sensor, dead pixels in the dash, occupancy sensor, air con compressor etc). It's not even needed brake pads yet!
Yet others at lower milages have had issues.
Personally it's rare I buy a car under 100k miles and with one exception (a bodged Saab) they've all been good.
What would be a sensible mileage to look for in a car that is 6 years old. Probably another daft question!

alex cnwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w203,2004, 2014 e350 bluetec, 2004 z4 3.0 straight six
our old w203 c220 now on 174k and on original starter/ alternator injectors etc , it still runs as good as new!!.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm a firm believer that cars need to be used to keep them at their best. The best cars to buy are those that do moderately high mileage in short periods as it implies long periods on motorways which is the best driving profile to keep cars happy. I would be unlikely to buy any youngish car that hasn't covered at least 12k miles per year and preferably 15k or more..

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom