Commonsense check on suspension repair price

gyoung73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2005/320
Hi

I have a knocking from my NSF and the local independant has quoted £2000 (parts and labour) to replace the arm but also replace the sub-frame, as this is worn.

No reason to doubt the guy, as he has serviced our cars for years without a problem. Has anyone had a similar repair done - to check this quote?

Its a W209 CLK320 Convertible.

Thanks

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Is the sub frame rusty and falling off?

Last edited:
OP
G

gyoung73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2005/320
Rusty subframe?

I cant see any visible signs of rust. The garage says they cannot assess what damage will have been done to the integrity of the subframe, so need to replace it.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Seems unusual at first glance but we don't have the benefit of viewing it. Not sure how a subframe can "wear" in 7 years

OP
G

gyoung73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2005/320
Thanks for the info. I'll get another indepentant to check it over. Its only done 50k miles.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Without viewing I'd say that seems odd.

Normally knocking noises are anti-roll bar drop links or lower wishbone ball joints and even if they go I can't see how that would mean a replacement subframe.

The lower ball joint is a press fit on your car I think so I guess that they're thinking that it's best to remove the arm in order to replace the ball joint. It may be that they're not sure whether they'll damage the front subframe if they have to remove the arm (the bolts can rust in place and be difficult to remove).

I'm sure that one of our tame garage folk will post up, but eitherway I'd be looking elsewhere at that price.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom