DAB poor reception, how to add external aerial on C43

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 AMG Convertible 3.0L 4MATIC AWD 2018
The DAB reception on my 2018 C43 convertable is very poor and cuts on/off all the time whilst driving in different areas due to lack of signal strength. The Mercedes dealer says that there is nothing wrong with the car and Comand radio unit, and adds that most Mercedes cars have poor DAB reception due to using the aerial built into the the front windowscreen.

There is nothing wrong with the FM reception, but the stations I want to listen to are only on DAB.

When I place my car at the side of my wife's Fiesta, the Fiesta's DAB car radio works fine all of the time and never fails yet mine has no reception.

Has anyone managed to improve the DAB (not FM) signal strength or better still, fit an external DAB radio aerial as this would be much better.

Also (out of interest), where are the radio tuner and DAB aerial amplifier located?

Thanks
Steve

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've a simple stick on glass DAB antenna down the edge of the passenger windscreen feeding my Nextbase 250 - works very well indeed.

It comes with an SMA connector - I'd see if you can get to where the antenna is plugged in and see what connector it has, then just try a cheap antenna (make sure it has a good body earth connection)

- DAB is very much more line of sight than FM and even a few feet either way can make a difference to the reception.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
- DAB is very much more line of sight than FM and even a few feet either way can make a difference to the reception.

Merc antennas are truly shocking - I'd double check if the channel you want is actually broadcast in DAB+ ... if its in legacy support on DAB, don't expect much Germany switched off DAB in 2016 so probably forgot how it works, DAB+ is a completely different system

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I also have a 2018 car and have no trouble with my DAB. Never had any problem on my previous 2010 Merc either. May just be I drive in areas with better signal, I suppose, but I think it’s wrong to say all Mercedes DAB is poor.

OP
S

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your responses. @Blobcat I was thinking of adding a stick-on or external aerial hence me asking where the existing tuner/amp was for me to findhow to connect into it. If anyone knows how to connect one up in a C43 please let me know.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
You can always side-step this by using the Radio Garden app on your phone and tuning in to whatever you want, wherever you want. Just a tip.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the Mercedes OEM DAB antenna for mine is £700 and is almost totally dysfunctional

an aftermarket one - I've used for 5 years with its wire out the tail lamp and the antenna behind the rear bumper - works nearly 100% and is just 12 quid

BUT - it must be powered by tweaking settings in the DAB tuner, to enable its phantom power feed to On - this upsets the diagnostics reporting an error - (really its just flagging a grown up install - when putting a proper antenna on the car)

Someone has reconfigured this setting to standard, and Yes diagnostics is no longer upset - but of course my DAB has stopped working - I have tried thee other aftermarket antennas that work the Merc standard way, and NONE really function

Last edited:

Matt Nuttall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Convertable W212 2014
Hi all.
My 2014 e class has the same problems. Always cuts out. I was thinking of upgrading thantenna too. I think mine is on the boot lid.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi all.
My 2014 e class has the same problems. Always cuts out. I was thinking of upgrading thantenna too. I think mine is on the boot lid.

2014 likely you need a software update - if u can see talksport 2 and its not had it then u need at least a software fix
all related to the point about DAB and DAB+ UK kept both - overloads the tuners brain

Matt Nuttall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 likely you need a software update - if u can see talksport 2 and its not had it then u need at least a software fix
all related to the point about DAB and DAB+ UK kept both - overloads the tuners brain
Thanks Botus.

Is this something that only mercedes can do. Or can you use anywhere else that won't charge you the world.

OP
S

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank for the posts. (Incidentally, although my settings are to let me know when anyone adds a post, I have not been receiving email notifications).

I think I will try the add-on aerial, thanks Botus. Does anyone know where the DAB tuner/amp is on the C43 for me to connect to?

Srdi, I have tried the site you mention and entered my VIN number and I get this error message:
Information on VIN: WDD2054642F726745 absent in the database. Check the entered data.

I have checked my VIN number but it does not accept it and so I cannot get the data sheets you mention, but thanks.

Regards
Steve

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks Botus.

Is this something that only mercedes can do. Or can you use anywhere else that won't charge you the world.
rare but there are a few out there

it might not cost as much as u fear at a main stealership - once u find how much agro this work is for smaller garages and how few can do it

where's home?

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thank for the posts. (Incidentally, although my settings are to let me know when anyone adds a post, I have not been receiving email notifications).

I think I will try the add-on aerial, thanks Botus. Does anyone know where the DAB tuner/amp is on the C43 for me to connect to?

Srdi, I have tried the site you mention and entered my VIN number and I get this error message:
Information on VIN: WDD2054642F726745 absent in the database. Check the entered data.

I have checked my VIN number but it does not accept it and so I cannot get the data sheets you mention, but thanks.

Regards
Steve

yep I've never got parts things to take my chassis number - if you persist u can plod through when u have enough knowledge - and if accept all manu parts slides were built by raving nut jobs - you might get there

looks like you haven't got a C43 (well u have but that's not helping anyone as they first rocked up in 1999 or so) - you really have a W205 464 (C42) armed with that you can hunt for madness in the boot

200CONTROL UNIT
TUNER, DIGITAL
001A 22 290 089 11-$948.32

with insanity on the antenna

don't look phased this is all perfectly normal on German cars.......

Last edited:

Matt Nuttall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
rare but there are a few out there

it might not cost as much as u fear at a main stealership - once u find how much agro this work is for smaller garages and how few can do it

where's home?
Stealership. like that... I live in North Wales.

OP
S

SHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the links Botus. I have looked through them....phew. It is looking like the best thing to do is get an old Roberts tranny radio set and put it on the passenger seat!
All the best.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You can always side-step this by using the Radio Garden app on your phone and tuning in to whatever you want, wherever you want. Just a tip.
I've been playing with this app for a couple of days since your suggestion.
It actually downloads better on my 6.3" phone than my 9" HU. On the HU I can't access search or favourites.

So I'm playing it BT from my phone, the sound seems to be the same quality as playing from the app on my HU.

I'll get to see if it drops out often while on the hoof as the phone loses internet in poor reception areas.

But anyway thanks it potentially looks like a good way to stay connected to local to home stations instead of continually changing stations.
Mrs Me can enjoy her home town radio while on her commute.

Peterbrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 CDI AMG Sport Shooting Brake 20136
Thanks Anyweb for the Radio Garden link I can’t wait to go to bed tonight and listen to it under the covers and relive 60 years ago with my crystal set listening to stations all over the world, oh happy days.

Top Bottom