Diesel engine re-mapping

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
And 6 seconds is even nicer still! That is what MB claim for the new C350CDI.

And an Aprilia RSV4 will do 0-120mph in 8.1 seconds, if you want real acceleration, buy a bike.

Interestingly, Motorcycle News raced the Aprilia against the Nissan GT-R and found the Nissan could get no-where near the figures claimed by Nissan. For example, Nissan claim 0-60 in 3 seconds, best they could achieve was 4.51 seconds.

They also state that in another test between a Ducati and a Mercedes SLS AMG, the Mercedes also fell short of the claimed figures, 171mph top speed against a claimed 192mph.

Russ

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Gotta laugh ...

I sold a BMW 3.2 auto, and the guy asked me why I never used the lever to drop down a cog while driving (he found it stiff, and deduced rightly that I simply left it in 'D' and let the box take the strain). I asked why I should, and he told me, 'You can save half a second to sixty if you do.'

Wow - wonder what I could have done with all those half-seconds I might have saved? Obviously I've lost an important part of my life there. Ignorant fella, me!

Baz

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Gotta laugh ...

I sold a BMW 3.2 auto, and the guy asked me why I never used the lever to drop down a cog while driving (he found it stiff, and deduced rightly that I simply left it in 'D' and let the box take the strain). I asked why I should, and he told me, 'You can save half a second to sixty if you do.'

Wow - wonder what I could have done with all those half-seconds I might have saved? Obviously I've lost an important part of my life there. Ignorant fella, me!

Baz
Very true and a good post:):)

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Gotta laugh ...

Baz

Haha, that is a pretty good post. But then why buy a 3.2? why not go for the 6 cyl 2.2? ;)

Anyway which BMW is a 3.2 auto?

C

cyg

I had a vw re mapped definate improvement in torque but mpg 0 change

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I have had my OM613 remapped remotely by a guy I know.

I read my flash file over to him, he tweaked, I test drove etc etc, did this back and forth until I got the fell that I liked. Very good value as well around 80 pounds + the ecu rom reader.

I have driven the car maybe 10,000 miles and can say the whole car is nicer to waft around in as it feels as though the car is a lot lighter than it is.

The main difference is the in gear acceleration where the extra boost builds (you can really feel it building up the boost, I would love a boost gauge :p )

Not sure about fuel consumption, I'm only guessing its going to be higher as more power = More air + more fuel!

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
My Brabus estate does it in 6.2 seconds according to my timing meter, have to admit it doesn't feel that fast.

Hello Gizze,

Tell me more about how you get 6.2 secs to 60mph in an E estate - that's going some.

Traction on/off, left foot on brake?

Mine doesn't feel like it's doing that.

Generally, saloons tend to be 1/2 sec quicker than estates (according to MB's own figures) so using my rule of thumb that would give an E Class saloon 5.7 secs with a Brabus D6 III box - ****** hell :shock:.

Last edited:

tommy_salter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI W163
C220 Remap

Hi,
I've had the last 3 diesels I've owned rempped (VW Golf, Alfa 159, C220 CDI)

They were all definately more responsive, especially accelerating in 4th from low RPM, and felt free-er revving. So I was always happy with performance.

However on MPG it’s almost impossible to state an improvement as you will find it difficult not to drive (accelerate) faster as the car is more fun (well I did).

I did have a problems with clutch slip on the VW and the Alfa - undoubtedly due to too much torque, which would severely shortened the life of the clutch. Who knows the effects on the torque converter on the C220, not had it long enough.

Also I did notice more black smoke when you "boot it", especially on the C220 which didn't smoke before the re-map.

I’ve paid about £200 for each re-map from the same company who have been honest and reliable. Value for money? I was happy.

I’ve just brought a ML 270 CDI – But I probably won’t be getting that re-mapped this time.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Gizze,

Tell me more about how you get 6.2 secs to 60mph in an E estate - that's going some.

Traction on/off, left foot on brake?

Mine doesn't feel like it's doing that.

Generally, saloons tend to be 1/2 sec quicker than estates (according to MB's own figures) so using my rule of thumb that would give an E Class saloon 5.7 secs with a Brabus D6 III box - ****** hell :shock:.

Missed this, sorry.

There are settings for my AP22 for each car you can enter that have been gathered from testing at drag strips, it gives you a 12" rolling start before timing as you get at a strip.

I don't know what the offical times are but looking at the hisory in the unit a few of the runs before the Brabus box were 7 seconds, or thereabouts.
7.1's 7.0s and one 6.9s. So it has taken around .7 seconds off the 0-60 sprint.

I found the ML270cdi a massive improvement when mapped. No rocket but so much more driveable.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I did have a problems with clutch slip on the VW and the Alfa - undoubtedly due to too much torque, which would severely shortened the life of the clutch. Who knows the effects on the torque converter on the C220, not had it long enough.

I've read a few stories of 220CDi's being chipped and the autobox has went bang. They appear to only be able to handle the standard torque and not a great deal more. Be careful! :lol:

Russ

hooksie

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200/2001/Diesel
Sorry to revive but....

I only just bought my first Merc, picking it up tomorrow and I'm really excited about it :lol:

I was, and still am, intending on re-mapping the engine and came on here for some advice - decent forum by the looks of things but a couple of things that stand out:

To captain whatever your name is, my apologies sir, but I cannot remember the full title; you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that we can all afford to just buy the car we want. Not all Merc owners can afford a new yacht and a new house. Anyway, I could only afford the C200 and, contrary to your comment and one of two others, manufacturers do not necessarily set the engine mappings to the most efficient settings. As one or two others have pointed out the C200 and C220 are identical cars with different mappings. This is an artificial choice since the mechanics etc are all exactly the same. So, re-mapping a C200 to the C220 figures should improve top speed, economy and acceleration simply through a different mapping (check MB's own website for facts/figures) so it IS possible to improve all three simultaneously, but only to an extent. Why MB even bother with the C200 I don't know but there you have it.

So I'm planning on mapping my new car but doing so to take it to sensible, manufacturer recommended settings. Anything else and you're taking your life in your hands I think but if you have a mechanic that really knows what he/she is doing then there's no reason they couldn't eek a little extra out of a phenomenally good engine without endangering it too much.

Anyone know a good company to use?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the engine is identical, but the fuel system and TC is not.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Why MB even bother with the C200 I don't know but there you have it.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. You will usually find the answer to your question is a market led matter - either local taxes, or tax for business use, varied by car price, CO2 production, or some similar criterion.

The chancellor in the UK has modified the behaviour both of the motor manufacturers and business users over the years by setting rules with reference to engine capacity or emissions. But it has led to the introduction of cars with much more efficient engines which are no less good to drive (although I suspect that would have been the last thing on his mind when doing it).

On the balance of speed/economy/acceleration you mention, I suppose it is possible to improve all 3 - but I bet you can't have better acceleration and economy simultaneously. Choose which matters most to you and go for that. It would be good if you could report on your findings in due course. Many say they are off to chip or remap, but no one ever seems to come back with "before and after" figures.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome to the Forum. You will usually find the answer to your question is a market led matter - either local taxes, or tax for business use, varied by car price, CO2 production, or some similar criterion.

The chancellor in the UK has modified the behaviour both of the motor manufacturers and business users over the years by setting rules with reference to engine capacity or emissions. But it has led to the introduction of cars with much more efficient engines which are no less good to drive (although I suspect that would have been the last thing on his mind when doing it).

On the balance of speed/economy/acceleration you mention, I suppose it is possible to improve all 3 - but I bet you can't have better acceleration and economy simultaneously. Choose which matters most to you and go for that. It would be good if you could report on your findings in due course. Many say they are off to chip or remap, but no one ever seems to come back with "before and after" figures.

I have had a very good remote remap done (tweaked 4 or 5 times) and I couldn't be happier, No dyno, but more power and the fuel economy is the same.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought the 200 and 220 had the same TC, it was the 270 that had the bigger TC?

I could be mistaken, although I thought the 220 and 270 shared the same one, and the 320/350 had a different one.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is mainly marketing and emissions/tax brackets etc.

Audi release a 1.9tdi with 130bhp so BMW release a 2.0d with 134bhp, Audi then up theirs to 140bhp and BMW counter with 150bhp, Audi then come back with 160bhp and BMW 168bhp.

And so it continues, no point coming out with the engine at full power to start with, you only need to be better than the competition.

You then have reasons like tax brackets, a C200K maybe half the price of the C230k for tax for someone in Germany.

Loads of reasons why the manufacturer holds back the car.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I can't see the harm in taking a 200 to the level of a 220. I do wonder whether the injectors differ. After all, they are expected to deliver more fuel in the same time so it stands to reason that they will differ. So the 200's injectors will be working above design spec on a remap and will probably wear out earlier than a standard one, but you're probably still looking at big mileage before they need attention. Spray pattern / timing may not be as optimal as the factory spec so there may be small losses there, but probably nothing serious.

You won't see any improvement in mpg mind, but thats basic physics. Assuming no increase in mechanical efficiency, better or at least different gearing etc mpg should remain the same. More likely, with higher fuelling rates it may actually reduce slightly.

Interesting angle though, in the UK, the road tax is based on the emissions. I imagine a 200 is in a different bracket to a 220. As they don't review these post delivery you should save a few quid!

It's when people start talking in terms of an extra 90bhp and in the same breath claim they can get another 10mpg too that I start to question their sanity.

Top Bottom