Do MAF's have to be coded.

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 320 CDi, SLK 200 R171.
Daft question I know, does a MAF need coding. Euro have a good discount at the moment so I bought a new one for £151. E320cdi 2004.

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
nope straight swap....

however I am just wondering if the adaptations need resetting...

same as if you've changed an air filter ?

I remember doing this once I replaced my crapped out old air filters.

Carl@MBS

<span style="color: red;">Authorised Forum Support
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
164 320 AMG & 211 320CDI
2004 320cdi maf?? they are cheaper than that from mb for the 320cdi straight 6! its only a cartridge you replace and one from euro's is only fit for the bin.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
on the subject of MAF's I looked at mine when I did the EGR mod. now ive found a similar looking 'sensor' in the plastic solid boost pipe, between the 2 rubber boost hoses that are between the intercooler and the inlet manifold. can anyone shed any light on what it does?

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
If anyone needs maf for an I6, let me know as I have a perfectly good one in my toolbox gathering dust.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
on the subject of MAF's I looked at mine when I did the EGR mod. now ive found a similar looking 'sensor' in the plastic solid boost pipe, between the 2 rubber boost hoses that are between the intercooler and the inlet manifold. can anyone shed any light on what it does?

MAP, pressure sensor. Measures the boost pressure in the pipe. Rarely fail, but I have replaced a couple. Also seen the wires broken at the plug a few times.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i wondered what it was for and thought something boost pressure related. What are the symptoms if they fail or wires break, as a matter of interest (and for future reference!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With the MAF it has quite a fair range to adjust, it is not the MAF that turns the engine lamp on, it is the 02 sensor. The 02 sensor is the part that does the adjusting of the mixture based on the information sent by the MAF.

Once the 02 sensor has shifted too far from its stored values and range the engine lamp will come on. In most cases after a hard drive with the new MAF fitted, the engine lamp will go out on its own, but not always.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With the MAF it has quite a fair range to adjust, it is not the MAF that turns the engine lamp on, it is the 02 sensor. The 02 sensor is the part that does the adjusting of the mixture based on the information sent by the MAF.

Once the 02 sensor has shifted too far from its stored values and range the engine lamp will come on. In most cases after a hard drive with the new MAF fitted, the engine lamp will go out on its own, but not always.

I could be wrong on this Malcolm, but as the OP's car is a DIESEL, im not sure the O2 sensor is even fitted! I certainly dont have one on my diesel, and off the top of my head, i cant think of a diesel that DOES

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I could be wrong on this Malcolm, but as the OP's car is a DIESEL, im not sure the O2 sensor is even fitted! I certainly dont have one on my diesel, and off the top of my head, i cant think of a diesel that DOES

I know nothing about diesels Pete, then what ever controls the mixture on a d, as the MAF's are different on a diesel then maybe it does control it directly, I just do not know. :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i believe that on modern diesels, its controlled (via the ECU) by signals from the MAF, Boost Pressure Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, air temp sensor, Coolant temp sensor and probably a few other sensors, but i think that covers the main ones!

OP
G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 320 CDi, SLK 200 R171.
2004 320cdi maf?? they are cheaper than that from mb for the 320cdi straight 6! its only a cartridge you replace and one from euro's is only fit for the bin.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just checked with Mercedes before posting, on the old W210 the MAF was the cheaper cartridge. On the later W211 it comes complete, with 7% discount and plus VAT £221.
The Euro ones are genuine Bosch, identical as used by Mercedes. 30% extra off £151.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes

Would you care to have a little wager on that??

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
My diesel 320 cdi definitely has an o2 sensor.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
Gary, if you're think your maf sensor is not working check the wiring to the plug. On my w220 with the same engine the harness was cable tied to the plug as a strain relief. Unfortunately this doubling back setup kinked and fatigued the wires.

On the star test mine would not be in the green zone until I fixed the harness. It was only after I bought a new maf that I discovered it though:Oops:

Strangely I did not notice any difference before or after:confused:

Adam

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you care to have a little wager on that??

which part? i am positive i cant think of a car ive worked on that has an O2 (lambda) sensor on the exhaust, and unless its attached to either the exhaust manifold or the turbo itself, ive had the ENTIRE exhaust off my car at some point or other so i can be 110% sure its not in the rest of the system!

whether later cars have them though, I cant be certain. like yourself, I can only draw on my own experiences to try to help people out with problems.

the fact ive never seen an O2 sensor on a diesel is the main reason why ive never been able to see the point in a diesel having CAT's etc!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
which part? i am positive i cant think of a car ive worked on that has an O2 (lambda) sensor on the exhaust, and unless its attached to either the exhaust manifold or the turbo itself, ive had the ENTIRE exhaust off my car at some point or other so i can be 110% sure its not in the rest of the system!

whether later cars have them though, I cant be certain. like yourself, I can only draw on my own experiences to try to help people out with problems.

the fact ive never seen an O2 sensor on a diesel is the main reason why ive never been able to see the point in a diesel having CAT's etc!

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72738

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom