Dpf

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Hi guys, just had my e220 2012 dpf professionally cleaned , 62,000 on clock , only had it 8 weeks , I realise I need to give it a blast every couple hundred miles as I only do short journeys, are there any good fuel additives you recommend as well

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
As above any 2-EHN to raise the Cetane number to lessen the diesel combustion ignition delay for better combustion cycle producing less soot , even JASO FB spec low ash 2 Stoke oil works.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
As above any 2-EHN to raise the Cetane number to lessen the diesel combustion ignition delay for better combustion cycle producing less soot , even JASO FB spec low ash 2 Stoke oil works.
After a couple of limp home mode's in my previous car ( Audi A6 1,9 TDI sport) I started to use the 2 T oil when refilling the tank...thereafter , no more limp mode. !!! But for my 2010 E200 212 cdi, would you recommend it Gazwould?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
After a couple of limp home mode's in my previous car ( Audi A6 1,9 TDI sport) I started to use the 2 T oil when refilling the tank...thereafter , no more limp mode. !!! But for my 2010 E200 212 cdi, would you recommend it Gazwould?

Yes , I've a set of Mot smoke opacity results that I looked back on with my AVF when the smoke opacity went by vin plate info from May 2018 that corosponded with it's use .

It halved it !

I presume you Mr Muscled the VNT turbo ?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes , I've a set of Mot smoke opacity results that I looked back on with my AVF when the smoke opacity went by vin plate info from May 2018 that corosponded with it's use .

It halved it !

I presume you Mr Muscled the VNT turbo ?

No, Mr Muscle would have been the next step if the limping had continued, but luckily the 2T did the trick... Never a bother after that ( except for the wiring harness for the injectors, the one buried in the rocker cover. They have a habit of breaking down..cable seem's to harden. But I just cleaned and tightened the conection's, and away it went ) One of the functions that the 2T does in 2T engines, is to keep the valve ports clear and clean of any carbon build ups, as these buildups can change the timing of the engine.
You mention your AVF, and May 2018.....is the date a missprint?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Halfords sell concentrated dpf cleaner £8 a bottle. Also stay clear of supermarkets fuel. Having had my own problems of late that's my best advice ...

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Hi guys, just had my e220 2012 dpf professionally cleaned , 62,000 on clock , only had it 8 weeks , I realise I need to give it a blast every couple hundred miles as I only do short journeys, are there any good fuel additives you recommend as well

No need to do a burn-up every few weeks just make sure when the DPF does a regeneration to run the car while it finishes. This is what I do adds a few miles onto the journey but who cares when you enjoy the car, the regen start to finish takes about 15-20 mins or 10 miles

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know that I have said this before, but with all the technological wizardry available now, why is there not an inbuilt icon on the dash to indicate when a regen is taking place? A lot of DPF problems stem from incomplete regens.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I know that I have said this before, but with all the technological wizardry available now, why is there not an inbuilt icon on the dash to indicate when a regen is taking place? A lot of DPF problems stem from incomplete regens.
Because it costs extra :D

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Seen a led mod on u tube . Runs a wire from a relay . Lights up when dpf regen is live.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Because it costs extra :D

Yes Wighty, bean counters in action..again !!! That's what happened with the BMW N47 engine too...shave a few cents off on chain guides and tensioners , but not any saving for the many who got caught for £8000 replacement engines ( before BMW were forced to cough up ) But overall, I'd say that BMW lost a lot in the ensuing drop in car sales, as a direct result of the N47 chain ( reaction?? ) Lots getting caught for replacement DPF's too.

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
Hi guys got my e220 dpf cleaned in June , and it’s blocked again , prob done less than 300 miles but short journeys , I was advised which fuel additive to use earlier in this thread , but left it too late , I can get a new dpf on eBay 400 approx , is the cost of fitting expensive, as I’ve heard it can cost £1800 To replace , or would it regenerate if I use the additive suggested and take it for a run , any ideas would be much appreciated

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
No, Mr Muscle would have been the next step if the limping had continued, but luckily the 2T did the trick... Never a bother after that ( except for the wiring harness for the injectors, the one buried in the rocker cover. They have a habit of breaking down..cable seem's to harden. But I just cleaned and tightened the conection's, and away it went ) One of the functions that the 2T does in 2T engines, is to keep the valve ports clear and clean of any carbon build ups, as these buildups can change the timing of the engine.
You mention your AVF, and May 2018.....is the date a missprint?

May 2018 is the new UK MOT test diesel smoke opacity regulations .

CMb2S7z.png

Not done the common high mileage injector harness yet but had fun with the ridiculous plastic dip stick tube .

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651

You can fill your fuel tank with as many proprietary additives or as much snake oil as your heart desires, or wallet allows, but until all the parameters are met to initiate a regen it's just going to keep on filling up until something else fails and it sounds to me that at least one of the parameters simply isn't being met! Have you had the codes read? have you looked at live data for any anomalies? if you don't have access to a scanner you could do a lot worse than seek the advice of a local MB Independant ?

OP
N

Neil Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi convertible
The dpf clean was done by Terraclean, who also checked for other problems which could be causing the dpf to show as blocked , no other probs found and they advised I had to drive car for 30 mins at around 2500-3000 rpm , as I only drive very short journeys , and that’s on local roads

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom