E 350 CDI Cabriolet soft top compartment hinge broken

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 350 CDI Sports Cabriolet Blue Efficiency (207)
Hello everyone this is my first posting on the MB owners forum.

I own a wonderful E 350 CDI Blue Efficiency Sports Cabriolet - my annual mileage is only some 4,000 miles and the car is always serviced by MB and is kept in superb condition. However I recently had the car serviced and was surprised at 3 notes resulting from the 'visual health check'. They were: that the soft top compartment hinge was broken (est cost for repair £306), a sat nav map update was required (est cost £133.60) and the right front seat switch was broken (set cost £172.56).

The switch fault surprised me because the switch worked perfectly. What had happened was the horizontal plastic cover had come off the actuator mechanism. I think it may have caught on an item of clothing or something similar. BUT it was in no way broken and it took me 1 min 20 seconds to carefully leverage the plastic cover back onto the switch mechanism. It seems to me that the technician probably took at least 15 minutes to report this fault instead of fixing it!

Although I could update the sat nav map, it is not as good as my TomTom which has a lifetime map upgrade service, so I will pass on that offer unless I can buy the latest CD at a more realistic price.

The broken soft top compartment hinge is my real worry. I have looked at the 'broken hinge' and found out that it is NOT the hinge itself but a plastic part which once attached to the top of the hinge. At a replacement cost of £306 this seems to be an extraordinarily high cost. Does anyone know the purpose of this plastic part and whether it can be obtained? Alternatively does anyone know where a complete assembly can be purchased and whether it is a complex process to replace? Incidentally the hood mechanism operates well, although it does make a bit of a clunk when closing as it always has done.

On a more serious issue I have noticed how authorised Mercedes and BMW servicing franchises now like to distance their service technicians from their customers. Basically as you probably all know you are invited to consume a pretty naff coffee while seated in the customer reception area, while waiting for the arrival of the customer liaison service manager. All well and good, but when I ask the customer liaison manager about any technical issue that the technician has identified, the manager always seem to claim ignorance of any additional detail.

I also own a boat with twin Volvo Penta engines and have seen the same process starting in that industry. I suspect that this new process is a cunning way to extract more money from their customers and wonder if the technicians are incentivised to identify very marginal faults.

Streetfighter1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Convertible
The reason that they dont let you see and speak to the technicians is because they probably charge you £100 or so an hour for their services. Last thing a mechanic wants is to get held up with a customer for an hour asking questions and not getting paid.
A technician / mechanic, what ever he likes to be called in a main dealership, has to book out X amount of hours work per day. That is why if a job is booked in and the flat rate time for doing the job is 10 hours and the mechanic does the job in 6 hours, you will still get charged the 10 hours and the mechanic will also book 10 hours.
It is the mechanics incentive to book as many hours a week as he can and also the more cars of the same type he works on, he will get quicker and know all the shortcuts in doing his job.
Only the mechanic and the dealer will benefit from this and not the customer.
If you find a decent independent garage they normally will only charge you for the time spent on your vehicle, but you have to look at it another way, if they dont know what they are looking for then it may take them 3 times as long to find the fault.
Saying that if i ever get a problem with my cars or motorbikes I never take it to a main dealer, I fix it myself.
Thats the best thing about being a mechanic / technician:D

Last edited:

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
That plastic hinge is for servicing the roof compartment and locks the lower panel in the boot.
They always break usually the right one and are easily removed by carefully breaking it out of the main hinge with a screw driver
and small hammer or a pair of long nose pliers.

It serves no operational purpose but can foul the roof causing a loud knock or thump as it get caught by the main roof hinge.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Streetfighter for your views - it seems we are in agreement. I would prefer to use a local mechanic but I think it is still wise to use a main dealer for the main servicing. I was able to fix the front seat switch and Westheath has given me some helpful advice on the soft top cover switch. Incidentally I service my Morgan +8 every year by myself including the recent rebuild of its rear axle to incorporate a new Torque Convertor LSD. Very satisfying.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Westheath for this helpful advice. You are spot on - it was the right hand (offside) hinge. I will do exactly as you have suggested.

All I need now is to know if it is possible to obtain a V13 map update to replace my existing V9!

Everything will then be spot on although I do find the command nav system fitted to have some very odd ideas on how to navigate.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Ecab14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class/2014/220d
Hi Michael, just seen this post and I also have the same problem with my soft top. Can I ask if you managed to fix it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Michael, just seen this post and I also have the same problem with my soft top. Can I ask if you managed to fix it?

Hi Ecab14,

Yes all done. It took me about 30 mins to prepare everything and to then remove the circlip holding the pin in place and then to slide the pin out and hence remove the broken plastic component. I then slid the pin back in and replaced the very small circlip and everything has operated wonderfully since. I am still a little concerned to know how and why it broke it broke in the first place and what the purpose of the item really is/was!

Streetfighter1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Convertible
PHOTO?

My roof makes a loud clunk as in does its final close. Can you take a photo please so I know what and where this bit of plastic is?
It has just been serviced by Mercedes and they never mentioned any problem, but I would like to check myself.
Thanks

Ecab14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class/2014/220d
Thanks for a quick reply Michael. Can you point us with a much detail as to where we need to be looking. I've opened the roof and looked as much as possible but just can't pin point the area where this problem is. There is a lot of mechanism living in the boot area.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
433800d1332449555-04-clk500-convertible-roof-malfunction-help-hinge1.jpg

Ecab14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class/2014/220d
Thanks Westheath for the picture.
Can a new part be ordered, and do you know the part number or how it's best explained to the parts department.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a complete hinge @ £200+vat iirc

Don't remember the part number, sorry.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Photo to follow.

Hi Ecab14 - Westheath's photo is clear, but I will take a couple of photos of my hinge mechanism this weekend and post them for you. Mine will show the plastic part removed. If it was only the plastic part of the hinge it should only cost around £10 max, but to replace the whole hinge seems rather OTT. Unfortunately it seems the plastic component is not available as a separate item. My mechanism also makes a loud clunking sound but Mercedes say this is normal.

Ecab14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class/2014/220d
Michael, Thank you for taking the time to do this. I've had further checks/looks but still can't say 100% if I've found the affected part.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I will take photos this weekend - it is not a big deal to take out the pin and remove the plastic piece. You do NOT have to unbolt the hinge assembly. It will
probably be best if I take a photo of the left side where the plastic bit still operates and also the right hand side where I have removed the broken piece of plastic. Westheath's photo is very clear when you know where you are looking!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here is a photo of the right hand side hinge (drivers side) with the shaft and broken plastic fitting removed. I suggest you compare this to your hinge looking at it front the front of the car. Take care not to get stabbed or scratched by the sharp plastic piece above your head. It has caught me out twice and left blood on my scalp and then on my forehead! fullsizeoutput_14cc.jpg

Ecab14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class/2014/220d
Thank you for taking the time to post the picture Michael. I will do as you say during the week and post back.
Peter

Ecab14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class/2014/220d
Ok, so today was the first time I've had a chance to check my roof brackets etc against the picture from Michael post. Having checked every part of the closing mechanism, and used the picture as a starting point, I'm unable to see any damage or broken parts. Just to be clear, the noise I get when closing is at the very end of the closing sequence as the back of the roof snaps into its locking point. I will continue to monitor this noise and make further checks. I will post back if and when I find anymore info. Thanks to all who took the time to post their finds.
Peter

al bondigaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Cdi Estate 2006 (S211) | E500 4.7 Bi-Turbo Cabriolet 2012 (A207)
Hello - 1st time poster - but I joined as Google came up with this post as the answer to my question ...

I had the same issue - right hand plastic retaining clip had snapped and I was occasionally hearing a loud clunk as the hood cover closed, as the remains part of the clip was getting caught in the cover hinge.

I removed the remains of the clip and the noise has gone.

In my case I had recently bought the car - a 2012 E500 Cabriolet, but as the previous owner had always parked on the street, under trees there was huge amount of dirt and crap around the boot and hood cover hinges.

The cover hinges and boot hinges were dry and lacking in grease. I reckon this could have caused the plastic retainer to break as it is meant to slide freely in the hinge mechanism. The car has a full MB history but the last service was about 9 months ago.

I re-greased everything and the added bonus is now that the boot opens automatically when I click the key fob - I didn't realise it was meant to do that.

I reckon if you car lives outside a blob of grease every couple of months is the way to go.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom