E300 Hybrid Reliability Issues

msant1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 2014
Start/Stop

Hi, All!

My E300 Bluetech Hybrid has a problem since day 1.. the start/stop function doesn't work in a regular way..
If I make a long trip on the highway.. then it will work next morning.. but then after 15 minutos.. hybrid mode stops all together.. and only works diesel for the rest of the day.

But it go full throttle, the electrical motor kicks in.. but the start/stop and electrical mode.. don't.

Also fuel consumption is above 7l/100.. 40mpg.. is this normal behaviour?

Other than that everything is great.. I have a great E300 who loved to be a E250 CDI. :)

Thank you all for advise.

Best regards,

Miguel

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi, All!

My E300 Bluetech Hybrid has a problem since day 1.. the start/stop function doesn't work in a regular way..
If I make a long trip on the highway.. then it will work next morning.. but then after 15 minutos.. hybrid mode stops all together.. and only works diesel for the rest of the day.

But it go full throttle, the electrical motor kicks in.. but the start/stop and electrical mode.. don't.

Also fuel consumption is above 7l/100.. 40mpg.. is this normal behaviour?

Other than that everything is great.. I have a great E300 who loved to be a E250 CDI. :)

Thank you all for advise.

Best regards,

Miguel

Apart from the MPG which I'm not TOO surprised on, all the rest is NOT normal behaviour unless you are booting it all the time and not utilising the Hybrid functions. Sounds suspiciously like it's not selecting ECO mode. Is that showing in the dash display?

stephendaviesyat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300/2015/Hybrid
Hybrid engine write off within 1k miles

Interesting read on the previous threads and wondering if anyone has encountered as similar issue.

After waiting 5 months for delivery of my new E300 Hybrid Estate a month and 1k miles in I went through what seemed to be a minor and calm Ford. Approximately 30 cms deep and went through at walking pace.

When coming out no diesel, ran on electric for about 500 meters then parked it up realising something was not working.

Long story but the car has now been with a Mercedes Garage now for 7 weeks, the latest is that they replaced the faulty controller in the gear box but this failed to get this talking to the engines to get drive. Now stripped the gear box to find the shaft is broken and needs a complete gear box replacement.

This still does not guarantee that this will fix the car and get this back on the road. Potentially could also need Hybrid Electric motor replacement or worst case full engine which will lead to a write-off. Disappointed that if this is the case I will not be able to reorder like for like as no Hybrid engines now available for new E-Class builds since June 2015. Wondering if they have been pulled early due to some known issues etc.

Seems a lot of damage for minor water impact? Any views?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What a sad story Stephen.
I couldn't see 12" of water being waded through causing a broken shaft in the gearbox, sounds unconnected. Electrically I could imagine issues if there was splash back into the hybrid unit (connected to the gearbox).
My E300 was in MB Liverpool since 16th. July (still is, but not mine anymore after tomorrow) with a similar gearbox ECU fault. No drive provided to the motor or at best inconsistent. Now it's stuck in park permanently, and despite replacing this ECU and another (oh and all the injectors on an unrelated issue), they still can't get the components to speak to each other.
I won't see the car back now, which is a shame as I had 22 months of faultless and very pleasurable driving with it.
I didn't know they weren't offering the Hybrid in the E class since June, is that because the new E Class comes next year?

neilp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320CDi Estate 2003
I am afraid you are quite wrong. This may be true for a breakdown on a used car, but it is very different for a brand new vehicle. Google the phrases 'fit for purpose' and 'Sale of Goods Act 1979'. The customer has the right to reject a defective item, whether you like it or not.

In fact, the supplying dealer has just confirmed that they are sending a rejection form for my car to Mercedes GB today. Given that it broke down so quickly, and the fact that the car has still not been repaired weeks later, it is obvious to all concerned that the car is no good. The dealer understands my position, so full credit to them for taking responsibility for the issue in the end.

It looks like I won't be able to report on the cause of / solution to the breakdown, unless the same thing happens to the replacement ...

So a fault in a component means "the car is no good"??? What utter tosh! I'm afraid you're all going to have to get used to the fact that as you all demand more and more from your cars and your dealers, you're going to be disappointed more and more often.Loan car - yes fine, no problem, put the wear and tear and miles on the dealer's car instead of your own, at no cost to you. Then complain it's not an estate?? Dealers spend their lives desperately chasing "outstanding" ratings from customers, but the goalposts are constantly being moved. You can't please some people, but you have to keep trying. The dealer didn't build the car, it's not the dealer's fault it broke down. Things go wrong sometimes, it's just a fact. The dealer is losing money with every hour it spends working on your car, because 90% of the time will not be claimable from MB. Try being nice, and being patient. I'm sure they want it fixed as much as you do, if not more!

A

ageddes99

Sounds more like a case of water up the tailpipe sucked up into the engine, can happen easily on a diesel I had it on a c220 years ago and had to wait for a new engine. Perhaps that has caused other items to fail but I would not rule out a new engine if you've had water up the tailpipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds more like a case of water up the tailpipe sucked up into the engine, can happen easily on a diesel I had it on a c220 years ago and had to wait for a new engine. Perhaps that has cased other items to fail but I would not rule out a new engine if you've had water up the tailpipe.

could be correct but that wouldn't lead to a gearbox shaft failure really....

stephendaviesyat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300/2015/Hybrid
What a sad story Stephen.
I couldn't see 12" of water being waded through causing a broken shaft in the gearbox, sounds unconnected. Electrically I could imagine issues if there was splash back into the hybrid unit (connected to the gearbox).
My E300 was in MB Liverpool since 16th. July (still is, but not mine anymore after tomorrow) with a similar gearbox ECU fault. No drive provided to the motor or at best inconsistent. Now it's stuck in park permanently, and despite replacing this ECU and another (oh and all the injectors on an unrelated issue), they still can't get the components to speak to each other.
I won't see the car back now, which is a shame as I had 22 months of faultless and very pleasurable driving with it.
I didn't know they weren't offering the Hybrid in the E class since June, is that because the new E Class comes next year?

Thanks John agreed seems strange that gearbox shaft has broken. Awaiting assessment from my works insurance team to assess whether to replace gearbox with the risk of further damage downstream. Or to write it off to avoid potentially £28k of cost to repair. Such as shame as the E-Class Estate was the only one in its class to offer such as big boot and came fully loaded with standard features compared to other brands.

Yes the Hybrid on E-Class is now not available, its been removed from the configuration but still appears on some of the online brochure. I contacted the Oxford dealer who confirmed that no orders can be accepted for Hybrids. The new shape/engine comes out next year around summer, however this will not include the next hybrid which will follow some time after - potentially 2017. Seems strange for them to take this approach considering the need to bring down CO2 emissions. Fingers crossed they decide to fix it as I cannot see any other similar size cars as a true alternative.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Sounds more like a case of water up the tailpipe sucked up into the engine, can happen easily on a diesel I had it on a c220 years ago and had to wait for a new engine. Perhaps that has caused other items to fail but I would not rule out a new engine if you've had water up the tailpipe.

never EVER seen that happen in all my years of working on cars. sucked up the INTAKE, then yes, but through the exhaust?? which blows things OUT?? sorry, but i doubt it very much!

possibly. or they have realised its a cr@p system that gives too many issues! (it seems)
ANY car should be able to withstand going through 12" of water.

A

ageddes99

Regardless of the water up the tailpipe or not I think it's disappointing that people have made big financial commitments to MB in the form of ordering vehicles and when this relatively new technology stops working properly the support to get you on the road again isn't quite there. Dealers really are scratching their heads with these cars and probably releived if they disappear for a while but we are still stuck with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Regardless of the water up the tailpipe or not I think it's disappointing that people have made big financial commitments to MB in the form of ordering vehicles and when this relatively new technology stops working properly the support to get you on the road again isn't quite there. Dealers really are scratching their heads with these cars and probably releived if they disappear for a while but we are still stuck with them

more I think about it I am glad I cancelled my order for the C350e, it would be too much of a risk, PHEV's could be even more challenging for MB!

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Mmmmm!

Mine is now running really well, just returned from France where I drove through torrential rain for around 150 miles then returned in really hot weather and averaged around 55 mpg.
Cars are funny things but for £40,000 plus people will expect a lot for their money.

How is the Audi John?

A

ageddes99

I've just put 1700km on mine in 2 days and running well. It goes on for its first service and the only thing Tj check currently is sluggish gear changing as the misfire has disappeared. More info on how it is after service

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mine is now running really well, just returned from France where I drove through torrential rain for around 150 miles then returned in really hot weather and averaged around 55 mpg.
Cars are funny things but for £40,000 plus people will expect a lot for their money.

How is the Audi John?

glad to hear it, they are just fantastic when running right (which for me was most of the time)
Get the Audi on Tuesday (65 Plate) so I will report back....

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Gearchange

I've just put 1700km on mine in 2 days and running well. It goes on for its first service and the only thing Tj check currently is sluggish gear changing as the misfire has disappeared. More info on how it is after service

I think the sluggish gear change is a trait, mine is awfully lazy at times but put it into sport mode and it's like a different car.
Having said that if anything is done to improve car please let us know so I can go nag my dealership.

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
How is the A6

glad to hear it, they are just fantastic when running right (which for me was most of the time)
Get the Audi on Tuesday (65 Plate) so I will report back....

I am also planning to replace my E300 with an A6 Avant next year. I would be interested to hear how they compare.

Simon

A

ageddes99

In my experience the A6's have always been a good car but if you have them with large alloys on them youre forever feathering your steering wheel to get the car to settle on the road. If youre on a long journey of a few hours or more that can be pretty tiring. 3 litre engines are very good as is the four wheel drive.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Simon, glad to help if I can. My findings so far (just over 2 weeks)
Try to keep it brief, and I will do the plusses for the A6 first
1) Smoother ride
2) Far superior gear change with the S Tronic than the 7G, also incredibly quick change due to the twin clutch system
3) so far feels better bolted together, build quality is astonishingly good
4) Dash layout slightly better, e.g. I can see all of the dials through the steering wheel, was never quite been able to do that in the W212 for some reason no matter how I altered things.
5) much quieter, engine noise even when pushed is considerably less than the E300
6) NO diamond cut alloys :eek:
7) Hold function more sensitive to engage, which is good
8) Handbrake (Electronic) much more user friendly than the old foot parking brake system on the W212 (I was used to that of course through previous Mercs)
Negatives
1) centre middle seat for a large car isn't very practical due to an unfeasibly large transmission tunnel - quite why is unclear considering it's front driven:mad:
2) 'Linguatronic' system unusable, it has NO idea what you are asking
3) Sat Nav isn't near as good on the MMI version I opted for- wish I had gone for the upgraded MMI Plus with touch which does seem very good. Mine has no 3D and the screen is just too 'busy'. Against that it does efficiently get you to where you need to be.
4) and this is general, you have to add to the options list a lot to get where you were on the E300 AMG Sport (e.g. Heated seats, electric folding mirrors)

That's it for now, if I remember I will add to this either way, hope this helps!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In my experience the A6's have always been a good car but if you have them with large alloys on them youre forever feathering your steering wheel to get the car to settle on the road. If youre on a long journey of a few hours or more that can be pretty tiring. 3 litre engines are very good as is the four wheel drive.

haven't found this so far to be honest- maybe due to new tyres, but it's sits on the road in a very settled way- of course being front drive you must adapt.
I missed from my list for Simon however that I fully do not expect to get much more than 8k from the fronts (Bridgestone)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom