E63 AMG Front brake discs & Pads

Darrencashmore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 AMG Biturbo
Hi all

Really hope you guys can help.....

Have searched through the various forums but cannot seem to find too much information regards above

I have been the proud (and happy) owner of an e63 5.5 biturbo for the past 6 months now

Superb car, but I was advised by my mechanic before I bought it, that the front discs were scored & pitted...so the inspection recommended changing all at the front in the not too distant future.

That future seems to have arrived sooner than I thought as the juddering I am getting through the steering wheel/brake pedal is quite severe....both rotors pads need replacing now I think

Having hunted around I've found the costs of replacing said fronts are eye watering...I knew it would be expensive....but I might have to contemplate withholding food for the family for a few weeks...

Any recommendations on reasonably priced garages/mechanics etc or advice from similar experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Darren

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Depends where you are regarding mechanic, but as above the fronts are relatively easy. This weather won't help currently mind unless you have a nice big garage.
Back to the disc costs, do give MB Grangemouth a call . In 2017 their forum price was £434.18 each (Part number A2124210512), pads/Linings £169.75 set (Part number A0004204400), Sensor A1715400617 £7.46.
These were netted down from their 30% discount. So you're looking at £1045.57 for the parts (MB List might have changed upwards from 2017 bear in mind). Telephone 01324 686002.
These are 'genuine' MB so of course you've the option to shop around ECP, Online Car parts etc etc.
You might also be able to get your current ones skimmed which will buy you some time and delay the purchase/get more life from the currents. I think that will be around £100 a disc but will vary by vendor I'm sure.
Where are you based?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Depends where you are regarding mechanic, but as above the fronts are relatively easy. This weather won't help currently mind unless you have a nice big garage.
Back to the disc costs, do give MB Grangemouth a call . In 2017 their forum price was £434.18 each (Part number A2124210512), pads/Linings £169.75 set (Part number A0004204400), Sensor A1715400617 £7.46.
These were netted down from their 30% discount. So you're looking at £1045.57 for the parts (MB List might have changed upwards from 2017 bear in mind). Telephone 01324 686002.
These are 'genuine' MB so of course you've the option to shop around ECP, Online Car parts etc etc.
You might also be able to get your current ones skimmed which will buy you some time and delay the purchase/get more life from the currents. I think that will be around £100 a disc but will vary by vendor I'm sure.
Where are you based?
MB Grangemouth Offer

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The OE ones I got by the way were manufactured by Textar
and apologies see above by BC, I see they have changed their telephone number 01324 682002

OP
Darrencashmore

Darrencashmore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 AMG Biturbo
Hi guys

thanks for the advice...John, will give MB a call...I'm west London, but to be honest the prices I'm getting quoted (circa. £1700+), & the apparent savings through your boys, I'd be prepared to go some miles

Didn't know skimming a disc was an option....?? Any ideas on how long it extends the rotor life?

Finally, just had a remap.

Went to GAD Tuning in Essex (no not on commission for a plug), but chose them as not only do they have a Dyno, but they custom map the car...based on how I drive, the current power & torque levels etc of my particular car...they don't bother with the generic maps which are just based on the make & model...can't praise them enough...If anyone's interested would deffo recommend doing through them

Throttle response is unbelievable & now the power delivery comes on harder lower down the rev range....only issue is traction now!

Think a LSD from Quaife might be on the cards....

Poor kids...won't be able to eat for even longer now!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi guys

thanks for the advice...John, will give MB a call...I'm west London, but to be honest the prices I'm getting quoted (circa. £1700+), & the apparent savings through your boys, I'd be prepared to go some miles

Didn't know skimming a disc was an option....?? Any ideas on how long it extends the rotor life?

Finally, just had a remap.

Went to GAD Tuning in Essex (no not on commission for a plug), but chose them as not only do they have a Dyno, but they custom map the car...based on how I drive, the current power & torque levels etc of my particular car...they don't bother with the generic maps which are just based on the make & model...can't praise them enough...If anyone's interested would deffo recommend doing through them

Throttle response is unbelievable & now the power delivery comes on harder lower down the rev range....only issue is traction now!

Think a LSD from Quaife might be on the cards....

Poor kids...won't be able to eat for even longer now!
Oh dear Slippery slope! Quaife, then downpipes, then.....I'll stop now.
You're lucky to have @alexanderfoti about an hour from you- Alex is a forum sponsor also and a great bloke, knows AMG's inside out (he has a couple for fun). I'm sure he can give you some more advice on skimming.
Find your nearest brake disc skimming centre - Skim My Discs

Last edited:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
if Textar make the discs OE , why the hell are they so expensive ??? my insignia has big ass dinner plates on floating bells but I can still get the whole set up for it for less than £600 and that's with race spec pads

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
if Textar make the discs OE , why the hell are they so expensive ??? my insignia has big ass dinner plates on floating bells but I can still get the whole set up for it for less than £600 and that's with race spec pads
MB have more than one supplier too! They'd probably argue that they are 'designed' for the OE or some such......:rolleyes:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
funny really john , when my parts place have sent me Textar pads for a customers car I remember thinking " sending me the cheap s*** again " lol

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I’m pretty sure the 212 AMG has some weird brake set up with the disks which is what makes them expensive, pretty sure @alexanderfoti found a solution for the 65 as they were similar silly prices.

@Darrencashmore if you want to be scared on how slippery of a slope tuning the M158 can be just ask @daveenty what he did to the “taxi” as it was known.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m pretty sure the 212 AMG has some weird brake set up with the disks which is what makes them expensive, pretty sure @alexanderfoti found a solution for the 65 as they were similar silly prices.

@Darrencashmore if you want to be scared on how slippery of a slope tuning the M158 can be just ask @daveenty what he did to the “taxi” as it was known.
I managed to stop after LSD and stage 1/705 BHP thank ye gods then I was ‘cured’

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Mine isn’t AMG but with these Mercedes, get them done at an Indy or Dealership. They will make sure they’re done properly and to spec!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Changing front discs and pads is pretty straightforward. The AMG badge makes no difference.

OP
Darrencashmore

Darrencashmore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 AMG Biturbo
Just still can't get over the cost for the fronts!!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom