engine lumpy when started after heavy rain overnight

bobincharente

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Passat TDI130, now E220cdi (2009)
The engine is lumpy when started after heavy rain, it has happened twice in the last 6 months. If it was a petrol it feels like a spark plug was not firing.
The problem goes away after revving the engine to about 3,000 rpm a couple of times and is then OK. Has anyone any ideas as to what would cause this ?

Thanks in advance
Bob

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like condensation is getting somewhere perhaps. Incidentally you're about an hour east of our French house.

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Give the leads a dose of WD40 where they clip into the spark plugs

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I wonder if when the engine is dry and trouble free , spraying it all with something like acf50 or similar to lock any future water out ?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My diesel runs better when its raining, apart from very obvious leak of water into something I would look elsewhere for the lumpy start.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Give the leads a dose of WD40 where they clip into the spark plugs

Bit difficult with a diesel.
Sounds either like damp on the electrics or water getting into the air intake. Both remote, but the scant symptoms you've described point that way.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Check that all the drains from around the front of the windscreen/wiper arm/bonnet hinge area are clear as these get easily bocked with leaves etc. and can overflow into the fuse box on some models and cause havoc. They should run clear and easily allowing no build up of water you may need to take a bit of time and probe them gently to unblock completely.
With the rain we been having lately it won't take much to restrict the flow.

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Bit difficult with a diesel.
Sounds either like damp on the electrics or water getting into the air intake. Both remote, but the scant symptoms you've described point that way.
Ooooops! Misread the post I thought it was petrol Sorry!

OP
B

bobincharente

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Passat TDI130, now E220cdi (2009)
Update - Problem solved

As it is not raining today I have investigated the problem and found that the drain in the centre of the windscreen was almost completely blocked by an insects nest underneath the grill. Spent 30 minutes poking the grill out with a nail then reverse flushed the pipe and a mass of paper-like bits came out. All ok now water runs away quickly.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Bob

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Update - Problem solved

As it is not raining today I have investigated the problem and found that the drain in the centre of the windscreen was almost completely blocked by an insects nest underneath the grill. Spent 30 minutes poking the grill out with a nail then reverse flushed the pipe and a mass of paper-like bits came out. All ok now water runs away quickly.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Bob
Check around where the water overflowed into because the electrics will have got water where they are not supposed to and it will need to be dried properly and cleaned otherwise you are just storing up problems for later when corrosion sets in.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom