Fuel Prices

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I didn't join here because I liked arguing or to be subjected to condescension, but rather to pass on my experiences to other Mercedes drivers, without feeling that I'm back at school being lectured to by an obstinate old maths teacher! :rolleyes:

Marco.

The only snag with your reasoning is that there are many very clever people on this forum, you have only been a member for a very short time. Perhaps we too do not like being lectured by anyone. We do like to listen and learn here, but the main problem is that no one knows best, and no one knows everything.

Reaction score
Website
www.theartofsound.net
Your Mercedes
Brabus C350 CDI 2008
We do like to listen and learn here, but the main problem is that no one knows best, and no one knows everything.

I completely agree, but that's not the impression I'm getting from the contributions of the forum's self-appointed "very clever people"/'experts'. The feeling I'm getting is the opposite of the very sentiments you've expressed above, which makes them come across as 'know it alls', and that doesn't make for the most pleasant of atmospheres.

I also get the impression that there are more 'statistic and science geeks' here than car lovers: folk who's main reason for owning a nice car, such as a Mercedes, is first and foremost for the joy of driving, not for scoring petty points against an 'opponent' on the internet... I'm simply a car lover, not a statistician, science geek or professional debater!

Anyway, like you say, I'm new here, and perhaps things will change when I get to know the place better. In the meantime, I can only speak as I find.

Marco.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps it is not what you say it is how you say it. Yes I have read your posts and some members are upset. Everyone on here has their own experience, senses and feelings and all the rest.

Yes its fine what ever you choose to put in your car, its your car, your choice and nice of you to tell us, but that is where it should end.

The number one good salesman rule is never knock another product, instead you give the advantages and virtues of your product. The customer should be able to make up his own mind.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
You should speak to some mechanics, folks, about the *real* quality of supermarket fuel, and the effect it can have on engines... :wink:

Marco.

Marco,

That's not passing on valid experience. That's basically saying we shouldn't use supermarket fuel.

Nowhere did I say you were wrong I only said that the fuel comes from 3 or 4 refineries, has to conform to certain standard and the difference is the additives. I finished off by saying not to believe marketing hype and a mechanic.

I passed on my experience but you seemed to take offence.

I'm no expert, never have claimed to be nor ever will. I've invested considerable sums of money tuning my cars in the past and I quickly learnt to do research before committing to buying anything that will affect how my car runs.

All I wil say is this is an Internet forum. People will either agree with you or disagree with you. Some will also refute claims you make. Don't take it so personally (unless it is a personal sleight on you of course) as when you turn the computer off. We're not there anymore. :)

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We always go to our local Esso garage. We don't use supermarket fuel as Keith is another who feels it sometimes isn't as good as more expensive fuels, although his attitude might be different if he had to pay for it out of his own pocket!

My dad used to work for Conoco/Jet years ago and even he would be careful where he bought his fuel from and would avoid some garages as he said their fuel wasn't as good as others. Don't think supermarkets sold fuel when he was still around :confused:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just back from 2 weeks in France paying 83ppl for Diesel :)

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I'll be back to paying full price again now as the Tesco fuel promotion has finished. (Well end of August and points have to be used by end of Sept) So it will be back to hunting eBay for money off vouchers :D

Last edited:
OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My Father worked for Mobil, all petrol is the same apart from the additives they put in them, they make more money the more additives as they are really cheap to produce

Anyway back on topic Diesel seems to have stalled on 107.9 here

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Marco,

That's not passing on valid experience. That's basically saying we shouldn't use supermarket fuel.

Nowhere did I say you were wrong I only said that the fuel comes from 3 or 4 refineries, has to conform to certain standard and the difference is the additives. I finished off by saying not to believe marketing hype and a mechanic.

I passed on my experience but you seemed to take offence.

I'm no expert, never have claimed to be nor ever will. I've invested considerable sums of money tuning my cars in the past and I quickly learnt to do research before committing to buying anything that will affect how my car runs.

All I wil say is this is an Internet forum. People will either agree with you or disagree with you. Some will also refute claims you make. Don't take it so personally (unless it is a personal sleight on you of course) as when you turn the computer off. We're not there anymore. :)

If you look carefully you will see that Brabus is no longer with us.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Such a shame. I thought he added great value to the forum..... :rolleyes: ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Such a shame. I thought he added great value to the forum..... :rolleyes: ;)

certainly a degree of entertainment, assuming thats what you could call it.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ It's 110.9 for unleaded in Esso and Tesco in Poole today.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive heard it could be dropping another 2p in the next few days. no idea if its good information or not, but sounds like a good idea!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
It was on the news today that petrol could drop to £1/litre in the coming weeks.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Still 116ppl for petrol over here!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was on the news today that petrol could drop to £1/litre in the coming weeks.

id like to see it!

i dont think the speculators or the oil cartels would allow it to stay low for very long though!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
The problem is the Saudi's are able to absorb the current slump as they have a hefty cushion to sit on apparently. So they're happy to let the market dictate the price.

Some other countries though are asking for the 30millions barrel a day limit to be reduced as there is current over supply which is driving down the price.

All according to the news today so not sure how true all that is.

It would be good if the price does go lower and stay low though. But as you say they wouldn't allow it for long.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it would be nice to see the litres digits click around faster than the £ digits again. its been a long time since ive seen that!

Top Bottom