Gear shifts out of park when the brake pedal not depressed.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I always depress the clutch pedal when starting a manual car - it takes the gearbox loading off the starter.

but also pushes the crankshaft forwards onto the thrust brg .... :rolleyes: and I'm not really sure how a gearbox can load a starter/engine

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
but also pushes the crankshaft forwards onto the thrust brg .... :rolleyes: and I'm not really sure how a gearbox can load a starter/engine

Operating the clutch means the first motion shaft is disconnected from the engine - the clutch driven plate doesn't spin ( saves a bit of load) and no gears are turning in the gearbox in the hydraulic oil so no drag /load on the starter from that either.

Try it in winter with a bad battery, it can be the difference between starting and not starting....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I always depress the clutch pedal when starting a manual car - it takes the gearbox loading off the starter.
Ditto but more to prevent me inadvertently starting it in gear if I haven't put it in neutral properly.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom