Hello everyone...2009 R320L CDI..help and advise greatly appreciated..

Ge2tis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320L CDI 2009, 3.0 V6, 7G-tronic, 207k on the clock
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but not new to MB in general...Born and raised in the family of Mercedes lovers that started in the early 90s with W123 and continued through out the years, I am currently the proud owner of 2009 R320L CDI bought in mid September 2017 with obviously OM642 engine and 7G gearbox, 180k miles on the clock, 7 seats, AMG bodykit and updated COMMAND system...basically everything that my humble heart wants...it was a tough choice between GL and R Class and the latter won because it's less boxy, cheaper and much easier to live with (my opinion only so please don't judge me ;) ). Well at least it was like that until about a week ago a strange (at first silent) knocking noise from the engine had its presence and within two miles (took time to find a lay-by) became very obvious that something disastrous has happened. That has been confirmed by a recovery technician too who said that bottom end gave up the ghost.
So back at home and after much consideration whether to sell it or keep it, keeping it became clear, I like it too much. So, I had a few options. Being a keen DIYer myself I could either:
1. buy a second hand engine from some "trusted" supplier, fit all the auxiliaries and hope for the best at the engine only cost of about £1200-£1500;
2. find already reconditioned engine at the cost of about £2500 (that's if mine is serviceable, which probably it isn't); or
3. rip the engine apart, find out what went wrong and if serviceable (luckily), recondition to its glory with additional improvements to all known black spots. If crankshaft and/or engine block are not serviceable, somehow find the required parts and then build it up. My guessing I should stay within £1500-£2000 even if I have to source the non-serviceable parts.
Have a quick guess what my choice was?
Obviously I couldn't miss a chance of getting into the guts of this engine even though I had never done that before to any kind of engine. However I am very very eager. I though it might be a great practice in knowing this beauty even more. Plus I could spend a few quid on tools that my small garage still misses without my wife moaning too much about it..he he..and by "garage" I mean a big shed at the back of the garden that I have no access with a car so it is being dismantled on the driveway..
So, after about four days of intensive stripping I can confirm that connecting rod bearings in cylinder no.5 don't exist at all or are very close to non-existing because I can move the rod on the crankshaft easily with about 2-3mm play..the rest appear to be intact however I haven't removed the crankshaft from the block and can't confirm that. Struggling with one of the chain guide pins that has no treads and retreading is not an option as walls are already very thin...
So far, that's my story...will be updating it as regularly as I can and will definitely need some advise from you for my ultimate diesel V6 build..Stay tuned.. ;)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome, I look forward to the thread.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome interesting stuff
A few pics would interest members on here- maybe in the engine section

OP
G

Ge2tis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320L CDI 2009, 3.0 V6, 7G-tronic, 207k on the clock
Welcome interesting stuff
A few pics would interest members on here- maybe in the engine section

I have plenty of those for when it comes to putting it back all together...:)
As this thread is mainly for introduction it makes sense to make a new thread under different section...will upload the link once it's all up and running...

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi ge2tis, welcome to the forum :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom