Help! Mercedes technicians still not fixed car!

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
The car was at 139k mileage When it happened - the reconditioned engine we have now fitted been told has only 28k mileage on it - we only went on their professional advice - is the timing chain an expensive repair?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
thing is , was the 2nd engine of the same model year ? did they reuse any parts from the old unit ? in my experience it usually fubars the engine if you don't get it looked at when it starts to get vocal so I don't think another engine fitment was incorrect but I feel a bare engine would have sorted the job out and ancillaries are easy enough to check before re-using , not all garages wether they are MB or not have worked on every engine Lynsey , some just don't think to seek advice before they start poking around

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
Yes I understand - I don’t know those answers! I would assume they just changed the engine and used all the connecting parts from the car? They have done an engine test on the new one and said it was perfect - would you know any of these answers when you look at it? Or shall I get some more info from them?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think most places would just swap them out , its easier but can lead to issues if the new unit is a newer model year as things get changed / upgraded of the lifespan of the unit , I will plug in and see what codes its throwing up , is the EML on at the moment , it should be if its misfiring

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
Makes sense - I suppose it’s like having a new heart but with old parts! it came on Once this morning Juddered and has gone off again - let’s see what happens when hubby drives home later

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive just had a quick google , 3 things are common t this engine at any mileage Lynsey , timing chain , high pressure fuel pump and carbon build up on valves , I think we can rule out the first one but the other 2 defo give the symptoms you are experiencing

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, if it’s a diesel it’ll be the Renault K9K unit, if it’s a petrol it’ll be the Nissan... ermmm... can’t remember designation, but standard for Juke & Qashqai.
pretty sure this is petrol pal , never heard of Nissan supplying 1.6turbo units , in fact I didn't know Nissan built one ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
sometimes if an engine destroys itself properly, little bits can end up where they shouldn't. If the person repairing is unaware and thus doesn't remove any offending bits, you may have an issues when you start up the replacement

often an engine replacement is just the main block and cyl head and everything else needs to be swapped from the old engine to the new one....

what replacement did you get?
a full second hand one or?

maybe it came with a turbo and that's now got damaged as bits went round....

the fact it drives OK some times and not others suggests something odd / unusual is happening which might be an easy fix

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
A full reconditioned one with 28k miles on the clock cost was £2200 With turbo

yes hoping it is something simple as you say

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
An amber light and the on/off problem seems to suggest a sensor problem.
Given the Indy is having problems tracing the fault and giving them the benefit of the doubt
I'm thinking that there's a wire trapped or damage to wiring loom or even a connector not fully home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Did they source and supply the engine themselves? If so, it is all down to them. I can understand you losing faith with them but they have charged a lot of money to do a job and have not left you with a fully working car. They need to solve this at their cost. If the engine or ancillaries have faults, they need to take it up with the supplier. Was the original engine kept as part of the deal? Some engine suppliers do supply on a swap basis so they can repair the old one.

I am surprised that you spent circa half the value of the car on repairing it, it's not a rare car that you could not source. Doesn't matter now as it's done.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Did they source and supply the engine themselves? If so, it is all down to them. I can understand you losing faith with them but they have charged a lot of money to do a job and have not left you with a fully working car. They need to solve this at their cost. If the engine or ancillaries have faults, they need to take it up with the supplier. Was the original engine kept as part of the deal? Some engine suppliers do supply on a swap basis so they can repair the old one.

I am surprised that you spent circa half the value of the car on repairing it, it's not a rare car that you could not source. Doesn't matter now as it's done.
As an add on to this comment. The garage is most likely liable and remain so until you have a properly working engine.
It is important that other than non-invasive OBD checks you do not have anyone else work on this problem (unless of course they can guarantee fixing it for free!)
If you do then you run the risk of transferring liability and the original indy would be within their rights not to do anything further.
Much better to stay with them and keep a friendly approach going.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
pretty sure this is petrol pal , never heard of Nissan supplying 1.6turbo units , in fact I didn't know Nissan built one ?
I got it the wrong way around sorry, in the Renault Nissan Alliance, all the gasoline engines are developed by Renault and the diesels by Nissan (and the manual transmissions by Renault, the CVTs by Nissan).

With the RN: Daimler Alliznce, the W176, W245 and some of the vans saw RN engines/ powertrains instead of the (much more expensive) MB units.

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6

Unfortunately I still have finance on the car so was in catch 22!

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
ive just had a quick google , 3 things are common t this engine at any mileage Lynsey , timing chain , high pressure fuel pump and carbon build up on valves , I think we can rule out the first one but the other 2 defo give the symptoms you are experiencing

hi ok hubby has driven approx 150 miles in it today it only did the juddering / engine light once on the way to work this morning and has not done it since - Would you still Be able to see if there is a fault using the mb2?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
hi ok hubby has driven approx 150 miles in it today it only did the juddering / engine light once on the way to work this morning and has not done it since - Would you still Be able to see if there is a fault using the mb2?
The garage doing the work has done a bad job and ripped you off so far..! A mechanical or sensor problem won’t resolve itself.
A new engine is pretty much a last resort job... and at £2200 plus £600 Labour I’d have guessed much else could’ve been tried first!

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
The garage doing the work has done a bad job and ripped you off so far..! A mechanical or sensor problem won’t resolve itself.
A new engine is pretty much a last resort job... and at £2200 plus £600 Labour I’d have guessed much else could’ve been tried first!
You just trust the professionals and given the Covid situation just made it worse for getting 2nd opinions etc...it’s done now but will def learn from it!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Difficult based on posts but my feeling. If motor making no unusual noise/sound, and it starts OK runs normally a Good deal of time?
My gut says issue unlikely to be terminal. More likely sensor or engine ecm comms as a result of all the invasive works.
Very interested to hear of solution.

OP
L

Lynsey Taggart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2013 1.6
ok , I have to come across the bridge to get to my partners so could meet somewhere close to the top of Boothferry road , I will be there tomorrow afternoon / evening
Hi hubby working from home tomorrow do can meet you in the afternoon at a time to suit you? Just let me know where on boothferry road please - thank you again!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The only learning is to get a few quotes and a few different garages to diagnose.

all will be good in the end I am sure.

the problem is so intermrent its sounds like a sensor, an actuator or even a small leak in a pipe.

Top Bottom