Help Needed

beccaransome99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150 Elegance Se Cvt/2007/1498cc
Help desperately needed please.
Car in question:

I am a single mum on benefits and I was gifted this car by a family member who was getting rid.. I think I now know why.

Lately I’ve been having issues with the acceleration on the car. I don’t know what causes it, but essentially what happens is the car suddenly stops accelerating, and the speed goes down, and I can press the pedal to the floor but nothing changed the speed keeps decreasing. I also can’t change gear manually when this happens (it is an automatic but there is the option to drive manually). The car then will sit at 4000-5000 rpm and revs like crazy until I can pull over and turn it off. However I can turn it on five minutes later and it will run like perfect and have no issues for maybe a few days.

The only coincidence or common theme that I can see is that it seems to be happening more often than not when I’m close to my fuel light turning on.

Has anybody had this happen before? Or have any idea what this sounds like. I’m desperate as I’ve taken it to two garages and they can’t find a fault and I can’t afford another trip, but it’s too dangerous with my daughter in the car.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI

Hankiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 350s s-class, W204 220 CDI AMG sport, Jeep G.Cheeroke 2.7CDI
Help desperately needed please.
Car in question:

I am a single mum on benefits and I was gifted this car by a family member who was getting rid.. I think I now know why.

Lately I’ve been having issues with the acceleration on the car. I don’t know what causes it, but essentially what happens is the car suddenly stops accelerating, and the speed goes down, and I can press the pedal to the floor but nothing changed the speed keeps decreasing. I also can’t change gear manually when this happens (it is an automatic but there is the option to drive manually). The car then will sit at 4000-5000 rpm and revs like crazy until I can pull over and turn it off. However I can turn it on five minutes later and it will run like perfect and have no issues for maybe a few days.

The only coincidence or common theme that I can see is that it seems to be happening more often than not when I’m close to my fuel light turning on.

Has anybody had this happen before? Or have any idea what this sounds like. I’m desperate as I’ve taken it to two garages and they can’t find a fault and I can’t afford another trip, but it’s too dangerous with my daughter in the car.
Did the garage scanned the car with proper tool? Where are you based?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Does it do it if using manual mode?

Do you get an error message on the display?

It really needs diagnosing with proper MB kit. Where are you based?

OP
B

beccaransome99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did the garage scanned the car with proper tool? Where are you based?
I am based in Lincoln, UK. As far as I am aware they scanned it with the proper tool.

OP
B

beccaransome99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does it do it if using manual mode?

Do you get an error message on the display?

It really needs diagnosing with proper MB kit. Where are you based?
Yes. Manual mode becomes completely unusable and is stuck in the gear it was in when it happens (usually 2nd or 3rd) I get no error messages or warning lights on my display at all. I’m based in Lincolnshire

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Welcome to the forum,

Seems that limp mode is kicking in and this could be caused by a number of factors (e.g. a split pipe, a faulty sensor so on), which needs to be specifially pinpointed.

Ideally you want a mercedes benz independent garage, they have the knowledge of cars and the pitfalls, they are significantly cheaper than a MB franchised garage. I would not use a.n other garage as although they may have a code reader, knowing how to descipher codes for limp mode takes skill and as mentioned is a quirk of the brand.

As the fault is not permanemnt it seems a so called pending error, which then kicks in if the same fault is found on a number of cyles. Do you have the yellow engine management light come on.

There are not many mercedes independents in Lincoln but https://sandpgarages.co.uk/ seem right up your street, but if you are willing to take a drive down the A46 there are some good ones in Nottingham, Mercserve for example have been my go to for 20 years. both worth a telephone call atleast.

Did you ask the family member about this fault, they may know about it (cause and cost) whihc may have meant it not viable for them to keep the car.

Maybe someone else knows of somewhere local to you.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom