1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m back again

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Lee Endean, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    Hi guys sorry I’ve not been on here much lately after my last dramas of looking for a new car. Since I’ve been gone I’ve had a massive problem I’ve been hit with 6 points for a speeding ticket in 2017 I’ve never received it’s gone to court the lot I did not know nothing about this what so ever only when the fine came trough the door. So now my dilemma I want a merc but for even a e350 anything that engine size even the 250 they want like 3 grand insurance of me I can’t no Jusitfy that sort or money my only reasonable quote is on a e220 2012 model it’s around the 1000 pound mark so I’m looking at one tomorrow my only question is are the engines any good I know taxi drivers swear by these engines but I’ve read up about the timing chain issue are they as bad as they say they are ???

2. OP
    Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    Hi guys sorry I’ve not been on here much lately after my last dramas of looking for a new car. Since I’ve been gone I’ve had a massive problem I’ve been hit with 6 points for a speeding ticket in 2017 I’ve never received it’s gone to court the lot I did not know nothing about this what so ever only when the fine came trough the door. So now my dilemma I want a merc but for even a e350 anything that engine size even the 250 they want like 3 grand insurance of me I can’t no Jusitfy that sort or money my only reasonable quote is on a e220 2012 model it’s around the 1000 pound mark so I’m looking at one tomorrow my only question is are the engines any good I know taxi drivers swear by these engines but I’ve read up about the timing chain issue are they as bad as they say they are ???

50 min

3. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S
    I think you're over thinking it all. Any that has been well maintained should be fine, just keep up the maintenance.

4. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    BMW 530d X Drive Tourer M Sports
    ^ this really.....

Manc Rick and Lee Endean like this.
  5. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    Had you moved address to not have had any notifications at all from the courts ? 3 years is an unbelievable delay

Manc Rick, axelcls and Lee Endean like this.
  6. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 C200 2.0Ltr (P) ///AMG Line, Premium, 4dr. Auto. Brilliant Blue with Alpaca trim
    Nowt wrong with the 220, just a bit noisy on cold start up :)

7. OP
    Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    Thanks guys I could not believe it when the letter turned up it knocked me for 6 to fair I’m going legal with it all now even tho the points won’t be dropped I want to know what’s gone on

8. OP
    Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    Your right bud I do overthink things to much lol

Manc Rick likes this.
  9. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S
    You're not a Libran are you?

10. John Laidlaw

Your Mercedes:
    Nope, he can't read.....:D
    I'll get me coat......

Lee Endean, Wighty and Blobcat like this.
  11. OP
    Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    No lol I’m not more of a stress head

Blobcat likes this.
  12. richard.marshall.9

richard.marshall.9 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    c class
    Cant help with your car, sounds like you have been done for failing to give info regarding the speeding. If you only have just found out you can do a statutory declaration at a court. This needs to be done within 21 days of you finding out about your fine. This should reset the process, and could save you some points and pounds.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Manc Rick and Lee Endean like this.
  13. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    If that's as accurate as it seems, you should go for it, Lee.
    - Whatever happens - best of luck!

14. OP
    Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    Thanks mate I’ll definitely look into that tomorrow morning seeing a solicitor at 10am it’s a joke mate

15. OP
    Lee Endean

Lee Endean Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Eclass
    Thank you mate it was a kick in the Balls I won’t lie especially as I knew nothing about it

16. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
    Retired 20 years now so I am out of date on the legal side, but with the points you need to lower your sights a little for a while.
    I have a E350CDI 264BHP & the wife has a SLC250d 2016 204 BHP. There is very little difference in performance up to 100MPH, then the e class gets away. The E220 is going to be a little slower because of the extra weight, but its a good engine. But buy one registered before April 2017 much cheaper road tax.

s5tuart and Blobcat like this.
  17. Manc Rick

Manc Rick Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 facelift 2016 2143cc
    Yeah, mines a 2016 and the road tax is £20 a year. The Mrs is learning to drive in a Toyota Aygo (city bug) with a 3 cylinder 1L engine and it costs £150 a year.

I know they changed the rules for cars registered on or after 1/4/17 but that means that newer, more economical cars are taxed disproportionately higher than older less economical cars.

and if your car (registered post 1/4/17) has a list price of > £40k, they want an additional £325 per year!

18. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 C200 2.0Ltr (P) ///AMG Line, Premium, 4dr. Auto. Brilliant Blue with Alpaca trim
    Now paying for the Zero rated vehicles, revenue has got to come from somewhere :rolleyes:

19. John Laidlaw

Your Mercedes:
    Aye, I hear you- my 530 is now £475 a year , it drops back to £150 in year 5 IIRC

20. Ron240

Ron240 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2020 CLA 250
    The current VED rules certainly does leave a lot of owners of post April 2017 vehicles feeling short changed, but its not all bad...it just depends on the type of car you happen to own.
    There are many more small engined economical cars on our roads and these are the ones that are now paying more for their annual road tax renewal - £150 more if they emit less than 100 g/km of CO2.
    I am on my third brand new car since April 2017 but I have gained from the new rules because these cars would have cost well over the current £150 annual fixed rate.
    The additional £325 annual rate that is applied to the first 5 renewals on vehicles with a brand new list price of over £40k is plain and simple a complete rip off and a slap in the face for owners who want something a bit nicer in their car, and is particularly harsh for buyers of these vehicles when used. The vehicle can sometimes be low polluting, but it is a luxury tax based purely on the original value.
    Our governments have always moved the goalposts and will continue to do so, because the money has to come from somewhere after all.
    I have read that they are unhappy about the current fixed rate compared with an ongoing CO2 based system, so will not be at all surprised if the goalposts move once again.
    When(not if) they do move it could be a hard pill to swallow, because the UK is currently haemorrhaging money on an unprecedented scale so this will need to be partly recovered by some means, and as we all know the motorist has always been a very easy target.