I didnt want to mention this but my car is chugging and screeching since lenghty

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
my 19yo neighbour has a herald and last week it wouldn't start. 3 men were looking it over but none had a clue about points and carbs. condenser wire had split. new 5pound condenser and off he went. lucky local ecp had it in.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
i do believe all except the corsair were radials , tho one could use crossplys .remember these cars DID win rallys/races !! i really had the hots once for a lime green/white roof mexico with a well tuned 1600 engine didnt have to connect that up to anythin like star , listen thru an air pipe for carb work and a screwdriver on head or block for other stuff ,gearbox out in under an hr overhauled in another hr if parts in stock . and not a F, ecu or hydralic solenoid in sight , happy days indeed .

Had a Ford Corsair convertible by Crayford on crossplies.

Attachments

• corsair.jpg
    corsair.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 13

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Loved those Corsairs, they did seem to be a much smoother and faster car than the cortinas.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
ah , plenty of room for the tools and spares in there

Usually full of recovery gear for extracting folks from snow drifts!
Defender was full of sleeping gear cooking gear and general camping gear. It made an excellent camper van...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
103 post so far, if only all members got that much help ;)

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Agreed. I think as Malcolm has said it is a choke problem. I actually think it is either stuck, or not connected.

Callum, does it chug more when it is cold ? I guess it does as you only do short trips if I remember rightly, so I doubt it ever gets fully warmed up.
It is completely possible that the garage has forgotten to reconnect the choke cable when changing the head gasket or not tightened it enough and it has pulled out.........
Callum, do you feel any resistance when you pull the choke out (turn and pull the handle) and how far does it come out.

I would be taking it back to the garage and insisting that it is not running right and that the choke no longer works....

Thing is, the weather has just got colder so this will get worse. With no choke, in very cold weather you will not be able to start the car.

Hi, I don't have a choke problem as far as I know.
I don't know how to use my choke, it doesn't look like a choke you pull out, all it appears to want to do is go back and forth but it doesn't eject so to speak.
Shall I upload a picture to show you what the choke looks like?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi, I don't have a choke problem as far as I know.
I don't know how to use my choke, it doesn't look like a choke you pull out, all it appears to want to do is go back and forth but it doesn't eject so to speak.
Shall I upload a picture to show you what the choke looks like?
Might be useful Calum.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
He isn't that far from me, I've been considering it actually, problem is timing, I don't finish til gone 7pm Mon-Fri and he's in the opposite direction to home.

If he doesn't get it sorted this week I might pop over on Friday. I had a Mk.II Belmont with the same engine so assuming I can remember what went where, might be able to help.

id be willing to go over aswell for a meet up nr callum. i REALLY need to know if he is for real. between us he could have a crash course in tuition and we could look over his car.

Hi guys, I really appreciate your offers but I would feel terrible hauling you all the way over here for no good reason, I have no money to reimburse your fuel costs either at this present moment in time and of course a fee for your help so if/when this does occur it will be a while yet until I get my next pay cheque!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it doesnt pull right out! it will pull towards you for initial cold starting, then it should be pushed back towards the dashboard until you cant push it any firther in, as you drive away.

are you SURE a car from this era is a good idea for you?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's not about the money. It's about remembering we all started somewhere and at some point someone likely did the same for us.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
it doesnt pull right out! it will pull towards you for initial cold starting, then it should be pushed back towards the dashboard until you cant push it any firther in, as you drive away.

are you SURE a car from this era is a good idea for you?

I have never had a car with a choke before.
I have never used it in a proper fashion, I have fiddled around with it but I have never used it accordingly. :eek:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have never had a car with a choke before.
I have never used it in a proper fashion, I have fiddled around with it but I have never used it accordingly. :eek:

which, and i mean no offence, is why i asked if you are SURE a car with things that you have no knowledge of, is the RIGHT CHOICE for you?

admittedly you could learn to use it but not sure how many youtube videos etc will cover this as its a dead art form unless you have a classic car.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
which, and i mean no offence, is why i asked if you are SURE a car with things that you have no knowledge of, is the RIGHT CHOICE for you?

admittedly you could learn to use it but not sure how many youtube videos etc will cover this as its a dead art form unless you have a classic car.

I didn't know it had a choke until I was back on the M1 driving home though and I noticed this button underneath the steering wheel. It was only when I consulted the drivers manual that I found out what it was. I thought it was a steering wheel adjustment control but it later transpired it was no such thing.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How does it drive with this choke pushed all the way in.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and it started and ran fine from cold, before the head gasket issue?

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
How does it drive with this choke pushed all the way in.

I have never used it in this fashion so I cannot say. If I knew how to implement this technique maybe I would notice a difference???

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have never used it in this fashion so I cannot say. If I knew how to implement this technique maybe I would notice a difference???

take the new found control, and push it as far into the dash as you can

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned

Attachments

• WP_20160118_012.jpg
    WP_20160118_012.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom