Is there a 'normal' temperature range? C220 CDI

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
For anyone else catching up on this thread, I would advise only using an O/E thermostat, which always comes with a temp sensor, and costs between £35 and £45 +vat from Mercedes.

After market suppliers may claim that the parts they sell are original equipment, but close scrutiny often shows this not to be the case.

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
I recently fitted a wahler thermostat to my s320cdi. It had the Mercedes part number on and came with the sensor.

With the old thermostat the engine would only get to 80 degrees now it gets to just over 90 as designed. (92 degree opening temp)

The old one was made by behr and was bought at Mercedes but has only lasted about 4 years! You could feel it allowing heated water through the top hose at temps well below 80.

I asked ECP if they could supply a wahler thermostat but they could not only a Circoli which are not OEM I think. I believe ECP are wahler distributors though:confused:

Adam

Last edited:

Colin_P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 W203 C220Cdi Estate Manual, 475 000km; 2004 W203 C220Cdi Estate Manual, 165 000km
For anyone else catching up on this thread, I would advise only using an O/E thermostat, which always comes with a temp sensor, and costs between £35 and £45 +vat from Mercedes.

After market suppliers may claim that the parts they sell are original equipment, but close scrutiny often shows this not to be the case.

I just wish that, after ten or more years of supplying the same unreliable thermostats, Mercedes would be able to actually make and supply a thermostat that lasts a reasonable length of time.

Collos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe panorama
I changed the thermostat on my c class 180 evo coupe today it took all of 20mins lost absolutely no coolant the result is the temp on the gauge now goes up to 90deg as opposed to 80 with the old one, both stats are the same supplied by DB and rated at 90deg so the old one was faulty to start with or has become faulty with age .There was a bill for replacement stat in the mountains of paperwork I received with the car but I am not convinced they actually changed it.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I just wish that, after ten or more years of supplying the same unreliable thermostats, Mercedes would be able to actually make and supply a thermostat that lasts a reasonable length of time.

i agree. after all, ford, vauxhall etc all seem to manage it

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I used a non-gen thermostat in the CLK when I changed it.

Went from 70-80deg and very very slow warm up to very quick warm up straight to 90 deg - total cost £14

Not sure why you'd not do the job yourself it's really easy - My mechanic didn't charge me, just did it as part of the standard service, reckons it took him under 5 min

Last edited:

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
purchased a stat today from dealers.

part no. A 646 200 11 15. I'll try and fit the f***** this weekend if I'm not dragged to the shops.

OP
J

jcswright

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C220 CDI 2006
Not sure why you'd not do the job yourself it's really easy - My mechanic didn't charge me, just did it as part of the standard service, reckons it took him under 5 min

You're making some assumptions there - for starters it's not a CLK. I've done thermostats before (and cam-belts, and a clutch, once) and I can assure you if it was a 5-minute job I'd have done it a long time ago. Right now I'm not in a position to do much more than that though.

It's done now; probably took about an hour from start to finish.

The difference is night and day - it goes straight to 90 degrees and absolutely sticks there. It changes gear sooner (presumably it holds in lower gears when its cold, to heat up faster?) and the heater works properly. I haven't really had a chance to see what it does to the mpg but I'm hoping it will improve.

I can see people were frustrated I didn't get it done sooner, but there were reasons. I'm not going to go into them here - it's done now.

So thank you again for your help, now I just have to work out what damage might have been caused by driving it around like this for 3 months and what I can do about that.

Any thoughts?

dobermann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI/2013/2.1
My 2005 C220CDI which I purchased in April 2013 (Now covered 50,000) ran on just under 80c in summer and now runs at about 75c in the colder weather.It warms up fast and the heater is hot and I have been told that the stat is OK only thing is the fuel consumption has dropped slightly but I have put this down to the colder weather as my BMW 530d did the same.How accurate is the gauge in the instrument cluster ?.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My mechanic didn't charge me, just did it as part of the standard service, reckons it took him under 5 min

For anyone reading this and thinking of changing their 611/612/613/646/647/648 thermostat in 5 mins, forget it, it takes that long just to drain the coolant.

Last edited:

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
I'm about to do this on Friday this week on mine. in reality, how much coolant would I expect to drain in order to change the stat? it's quite high on the engine and it looks like the expansion cap is almost level in height.

squench2002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 ML 270 CDI / E240 Elegance (sold)
Hi,

just to add my tuppence worth.
I had exactly as you described, engine running cold from 50 to 60 no matter how long a run.
Took it to an Independant Merc garage in Ibrox, Glasgow as I was passing through asked them to change the thermostat as per advice from this forum and job done.
Temp now sitting slightly above 80 and rock solid, heater working perfectly.

Thanks to the forum problem solved.
I know that it can be done yourself following instructions on here but for £130 at short notice I was thankful to get it done.

Big thumbs up to the forum.

Ian.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
For anyone reading this thread the heater in the car will be near on useless if the engine temp is below 80c, its blown air and it needs the air to be 90c at least to get the heater hot. Not too bad right now with the mild air coming in.

Not good for the engine never to reach its optimum temp and very thirsty on fuel.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Did my thermostat last sat morning. Was easy, temperature gets upto 90degrees now and stays there.

Not had an improvement in MPG yet and have covered many miles since the change, prior to the change it was running at 70 degrees

E

E-Class

Hi all.

I've just bought myself a 2005 C270 CDI. The temp never gets above 60 and the heater is useless...new stat needed.
I had to do this on my old e-Class too.

Thing is, and Indy quoted me £324 and my local garage quoted me £225.

I'd love to do it myself as I called Mercedes and the Thermostat is only £35!!!

How hard is it to do on my car?

I'd be happy paying £130 like some of you :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all.

I've just bought myself a 2005 C270 CDI. The temp never gets above 60 and the heater is useless...new stat needed.
I had to do this on my old e-Class too.

Thing is, and Indy quoted me £324 and my local garage quoted me £225.

I'd love to do it myself as I called Mercedes and the Thermostat is only £35!!!

How hard is it to do on my car?

I'd be happy paying £130 like some of you :)

I can send you the instructions on how to do it. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
there is a youtube video for doing the 270cdi thermostat. It will take you 30 minutes to do and that is taking things carefully

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thing is, and Indy quoted me £324 and my local garage quoted me £225...

Really?

I would be surprised that anyone could quote such high sums for only a thermostat change - were they quoting for more work as well?

For the record, we charge 1/2hr @ £50 per hour plus vat = £30 labour total.
A charge of 3/4 hr would be fair, but the seemingly £200 for the indy labour must, must, be a mistake.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom