Looking to buy a S350 or S500

Mr_Integrity

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500
Hello all,

So I'm new here. I joined because I am looking to buy a 2003 - 2006 S350 or S500. I am looking at cars with between 50,000 - 90,000 miles. Most I've seen vary in price from £2500 - £5000 for well looked after vehicles with just two or three owners. I have seen cheaper ones starting at £1200, but these are higher mileage vehicles from 125 -220k, still seem to be looked after for the most part too, but I'm not interested in those. Also seen higher priced ones too, some as much as £12,500.

So I'd like some advise on some of the common problems that I should look for when viewing cars. I did have a look through the forums and do a search and couldn't see any specific posts or see any repeat problems, but there are a lot of threads, maybe I missed something obvious.

Just a few questions too!
1. Sat Nav - I'm looking at the ones with the rectangular screen as apposed to the earlier ones with the square screen;
Any particular issues with them?
When was the last update?
2. Heated seats - Do all the cars that have heated seats also have the cooling option too? Are they front and rear?
3. Steering wheel - Is that heated too? The wooden one an option and easy to install?
4. Heated front windscreen?
5. Engine - which is more reliable the 350 (3.7ltr I believe) or the 500 (5ltr)? I suppose they both have different common faults?

Are the prices about right? Is the 500 generally more expensive compared to 350 of the same year?

I think that's it for now, but I am rather tired so I may have more questions later.

Thanks in advance! Have a great Monday.

Edited: 14 June 2021 23:00 (BST)
Are the engines Belt driven or timing chain?

Regardless as to when it was last serviced it will have a full service done including all fluids and filters, anything else I should check or renew?
If halogen bulbs are fitted is it possible to do a HID conversion or LED bulbs? Are the light units suitable for HID conversion? (UK MOT laws)
Can the trip computer or message centre (whatever Mercedes call them) where the speedo is, be updated at all? (another seller says it's faulty and needs updating)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Most likely will have bi-xenon as standard, you can’t legally change to HID or LED if they’re halogen without a lot of wirk.

All duplex chains and not generally an issue on either the 350 or 500

Lots of options, cooler seats and rear seat heating not standard.

Comand system is ancient without updates in years.

They were 80K plus cars and still have 80K plus car appetites if they go wrong…

Great cars when working though…

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
You need to have the wallet of someone who purchased it new to maintain. A good indy will be your friend.

Based on what your looking for go for the S500 Lwb

Heated steering wheel is not availabale with wood steering wheel.

Make sure the gbox has been serviced, based on certain vin cut off date merc said no need to service gearbox. utter nonsense. its the same box and should be done every 35k.

Rust on all arches and front door bottoms. The seals are poorly designed and trap water.

The last command disk was 2013/4 DX CD, but they went to dvd version around 2004.

2003/4 was when they went wide screen navi with the facelift.

Biggeat things i have had done beyond services and odd wear and tyres, New stat, new alternator, The odd abs sensor and moat expensive was the abs control module.

They demand genuine parts. anything else wont cut it.

I could go on forever had my w220 since new 2004. The best car for a long drive by a long shot.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Has nobody mentioned ABC suspension problems and costs ? (Isn’t it only the later cars which are airmatic?)

It was an option on the 500's. But personally best left. It is very good when it works but if it goes wrong you need really deep pockets! Oh, and it was standard on the V12-600. And another thing about the V12, if a Coil goes you have to change the complete pack - yes 12....!!! It'll cost twice as much as what the car is worth.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I had the 500 engine in my old E class and it is a rapid but bulletproof classic.

Agree with checking gearbox oil changes. A new management board will be about £1200 fitted and has to be coded to the car.

OP
M

Mr_Integrity

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500
Hello and welcome

Most likely will have bi-xenon as standard, you can’t legally change to HID or LED if they’re halogen without a lot of wirk.

All duplex chains and not generally an issue on either the 350 or 500

Lots of options, cooler seats and rear seat heating not standard.

Comand system is ancient without updates in years.

They were 80K plus cars and still have 80K plus car appetites if they go wrong…

Great cars when working though…
Thanks Blobcat!

Ideally looking for one with the heated and cooling (I refer to them as climate) seats in the front and rear.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr_Integrity

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500
Heated steering wheel is not availabale with wood steering wheel.

Make sure the gbox has been serviced, based on certain vin cut off date merc said no need to service gearbox. utter nonsense. its the same box and should be done every 35k.

So there is an heated steering wheel option then? I didn't think the wooden one would be.

What do you mean by gbox serviced?
Is it just and oil change or is it a cover off, filter change thing or more advanced than that?

Looking ideally for a 04/05/06.

OP
M

Mr_Integrity

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500
Has nobody mentioned ABC suspension problems and costs ? (Isn’t it only the later cars which are airmatic?)

Not yet!
I did see some were air suspension, but I was going to leave that question until I got to know a bit more about the cars first.
So best sticking to one with standard struts and springs as opposed to the air then?

OP
M

Mr_Integrity

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500
Thanks for the greetings and responses!
Some quick replies here!

I've had a couple of Merc's before A 190E and a E220, but that was a long time ago, had a Jag for the last 13 years (longest car I've owned) but I'm letting my son use that and thought I'd go back to a Merc and I've always liked the S class.

I know that owning an older car (or any car for that matter) can be expensive but I tend to maintain mine no matter the cost, providing they'll last the test of time. I'm after one that has been looked after and with service history. I tend to do oil and filter change every 6k or once a year, filter changes every two years along with brake fluid. I also opt for genuine parts, unless it's a performance part. (I upgraded to poly bushes on my jag along with performance brakes hoses and brakes - if it can stop quicker I think it's always a bonus) So if these are available for the S class it's something I'd consider.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr_Integrity

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500
It was an option on the 500's. But personally best left. It is very good when it works but if it goes wrong you need really deep pockets! Oh, and it was standard on the V12-600. And another thing about the V12, if a Coil goes you have to change the complete pack - yes 12....!!! It'll cost twice as much as what the car is worth.
Yeah I don't think I'll have the 600, the 500 would be more than adequate for me.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The wooden steering wheel and wooden gshift was an optional extra, as was the normal heated steering wheel. but the higer up the range you go (say s500) then more things become standard.

gbox service is sump off, replace filter, meticulously clean sump and replace gasket and refill. also replace gasket for electrical connector down there. There is a high and low mark depnding on temp and you need a workshop tool as you like diy. plenty on youtube 722.6 gearbox service.

I have the sales booklet too from
when i got mine.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Not yet!
I did see some were air suspension, but I was going to leave that question until I got to know a bit more about the cars first.
So best sticking to one with standard struts and springs as opposed to the air then?
I don’t think they have standard struts buddy , it’s either air (airmatic) or hydraulic fluid (ABC)

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its airmatic struts. If they fail its either the entire strut. But some later models had the bags which can be reaplaced seperately

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
My s600 has heated wooden steering wheel, although it the only the leather part that heats up, The list of extras available is endless. I purchased mine from a customer only because it’s the only car I’ve seen with every option ticked, you name it, it’s got it.
ps I might have an S500 lwb 2011 for sale in a few months after I’ve replaced the chains and actuators.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Not yet!

Ony Airmatic or ABC. Stick to the Airmatic. If the Suspension is flat when you go see a car, run away. A good Airmatic drops about 2-4mm/24hours on average and is normal. Also the Air Pump should only run for a few seconds after start-up, if it runs for extended periods or is really noisy could indicate a leak or a worn Pump.
I had a 2001 S500 and the pump gave way because the Air Feed Pipe between the Filter and Pump had split letting in unfiltered Air damaging the Pump. I replaced the Piston Ring and Cylinder along with a new Filter and fixed it myself at a total cost of about 80 quid.

Another weak point is the PSE Pump for the Central Locking and Soft Close etc. Mine stopped working because the Passages in the Valve assembly got blocked from the Carbon Vanes inside the Pump so it kept on blowing the Fuse to save the Pump from damage.
Again I cleaned it all out and reset the Vane clearances and it was sorted at no cost other than my time.

A lot of things can be rectified on the older w220 relatively cheap or DIY.

I think mine had most of the Extras:

200A LEATHER
205 OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
231 GARAGE DOOR OPENER
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
264A LEATHER SAFFRON
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
278 TELEPHONE PRE-INSTALLATION COMPL. D-NET
284 SELECTOR LEVER, WOOD
289 WOOD/LEATHER STEERING-WHEEL
352 COMAND
366U AZURITE BLUE - METALLIC
401 DELUXE FRONT SEATS WITH VENTILATION AND HEATING CO
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
596 HEAT INSULATING+IR REFLECTG.SAFETY GLASS ALL-ROUND
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
617 XENON HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
731 WOOD TRIM BURRED WALNUT ROOT
774 SHELL MODIFICATION FOR AMG-WHEELS
792 AMG-WHEELS 8X18 SQUEEZE-IN DEPTH 31 235/40 (S210)
800 N/A 813 LINGUATRONIC-GERMAN (VOICE OPERATION)
816 REMOTE CONTROL FOR RADIO /COMMAND (OMS) REAR PASS
819 CD CHANGER
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
883 POWER CLOSING SYSTEM

And sorry but I love showing off one car I should have kept - but tht what happens when someone offers you twice as much as what you paid for it! STUPID!!!

aSWO0Y2.jpg

sG7s8TA.jpg

AHC2nAB.jpg

VZYWy15.jpg

U4p7j4l.jpg

VhBLkgT.jpg

0HawiL2.jpg

2mYspG5.jpg

Nbsgzmx.jpg

Fj5Rtti.jpg

E72unXk.jpg

MECabUx.jpg

sJtpI1c.jpg

Good luck with your search.......

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Ony Airmatic or ABC. Stick to the Airmatic. If the Suspension is flat when you go see a car, run away. A good Airmatic drops about 2-4mm/24hours on average and is normal. Also the Air Pump should only run for a few seconds after start-up, if it runs for extended periods or is really noisy could indicate a leak or a worn Pump.
I had a 2001 S500 and the pump gave way because the Air Feed Pipe between the Filter and Pump had split letting in unfiltered Air damaging the Pump. I replaced the Piston Ring and Cylinder along with a new Filter and fixed it myself at a total cost of about 80 quid.

Another weak point is the PSE Pump for the Central Locking and Soft Close etc. Mine stopped working because the Passages in the Valve assembly got blocked from the Carbon Vanes inside the Pump so it kept on blowing the Fuse to save the Pump from damage.
Again I cleaned it all out and reset the Vane clearances and it was sorted at no cost other than my time.

A lot of things can be rectified on the older w220 relatively cheap or DIY.

I think mine had most of the Extras:

200A LEATHER
205 OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
231 GARAGE DOOR OPENER
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
264A LEATHER SAFFRON
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
278 TELEPHONE PRE-INSTALLATION COMPL. D-NET
284 SELECTOR LEVER, WOOD
289 WOOD/LEATHER STEERING-WHEEL
352 COMAND
366U AZURITE BLUE - METALLIC
401 DELUXE FRONT SEATS WITH VENTILATION AND HEATING CO
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
596 HEAT INSULATING+IR REFLECTG.SAFETY GLASS ALL-ROUND
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
617 XENON HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
731 WOOD TRIM BURRED WALNUT ROOT
774 SHELL MODIFICATION FOR AMG-WHEELS
792 AMG-WHEELS 8X18 SQUEEZE-IN DEPTH 31 235/40 (S210)
800 N/A 813 LINGUATRONIC-GERMAN (VOICE OPERATION)
816 REMOTE CONTROL FOR RADIO /COMMAND (OMS) REAR PASS
819 CD CHANGER
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
883 POWER CLOSING SYSTEM

And sorry but I love showing off one car I should have kept - but tht what happens when someone offers you twice as much as what you paid for it! STUPID!!!

aSWO0Y2.jpg

sG7s8TA.jpg

AHC2nAB.jpg

VZYWy15.jpg

U4p7j4l.jpg

VhBLkgT.jpg

0HawiL2.jpg

2mYspG5.jpg

Nbsgzmx.jpg

Fj5Rtti.jpg

E72unXk.jpg

MECabUx.jpg

sJtpI1c.jpg

Good luck with your search.......
Nice list of extras.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom