Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by AJD, May 15, 2019 at 4:32 PM.
You lot need to catch up......just sayin!
Being serious, the future is definitely hydroponics. Dunno about EVs though.
There's just something very wrong about eating a genetically modified soil mould with a name like 'strain PTA-2684' artificially grown in large, sterile fermentation tanks, then textured and manipulated to appear as something it really isn't, I decided some time ago I wouldn't be eating anything beginning with Q. It's almost as bad as Linda McCartney's vegan pseudo meat products. Now if products beginning with Q were presented as spaceman food in tablet form, that may be a little easier to swallow?
Flettner Rotor is all I'm saying...
I have a small 'Aquaponics' Installation at home currently dismantled and relocating to a bigger shed, but I think you're right, the way things are going we are going to need another WW or start growing vertically in a big way.
i stand ,corrected.
I'll be ashes by then.
It's the early adopters I salute, those pioneers blinding heading towards a dead end so the rest of us don't have to
So, us "Europeans" can feel justifiably smug about our Co2 emissions, while the villains are the Americans, Chinese and Indians.
As feeling smug doesn't fix the problem as it stands, who is going to hold the big stick over the heads of the gross polluters?
Asking them nicely hasn't worked out too well in the past, and that was when their respective leaders were relatively sane.... Some earth-shattering event will need to happen before "certain" nations are forced to change their ways.
Alternatively, cull 80% of the worlds population and the remaining 20% can live in a completely irresponsible manner with no significant ill-effects on the planet.
Seriously, it really does come down to population control, so good luck with that....
Always happy to take one for the team, you know me
Culling really appeals some mornings....
No, it doesn’t. All indications point to the global population hitting around 11bn and then rapidly shrinking. Either way, given current trends of development of agritech, that is sustainable.
Something else here. What we see is that people tend to start giving a shoite about the environment around them when they reach middle class level. The UN defines that as a household income greater than $5000 per annum.
The UN stated in 2000 that it would set itself a challenge to halve global poverty by 2015; that was defined as a household income of greater than $1/ day. That was achieved by 2012. Stunning success.
So, there is good reason to strongly consider that the best way to start making real environmental impact is by helping to make everyone more prosperous.
I've often wondered how much of global warming can be attributed to green house gases and how much to radiated heat. Everyone knows cities are 2-3 degrees warmer than rural areas outside.
Currently CO2 etc are generated as a result of creating that radiated heat which makes me wonder if CO2 is the effect as opposed to the cause (at least in part).
I’ve always wondered how much of it actually exists.
That’s the Urban Heat Island Effect you’re on about...
I always find London hotter, all the AC plants pumping out heat for one - plus there's loads of "hot air" in the smoke
If gas heating is being banned by 2025 on new builds why aren't they making the installation of Solar Panels mandatory on new builds or better still, developing solar roof tiles further.
Solar roof tiles are under active development, I know of several businesses heavily into this tech.
The long and short of it is that electric heating is now cheaper than gas due to the national level investment in wind & solar.
Are you sure? I thought a KWH from a home heating system cost about 14p for Electric and about 4p for Gas.
OTOH, I might be making that up, but my gut feel is that it costs WAY more to heat a given room electrically....
Average cost of electricity per kWh is 14.37p, and the average gas cost per kWh is 3.80p electric heating even with economy 7 tariffs has never been cheaper than gas, just look at your utility bills.
Separate names with a comma.